Jose Fernandez tragedy news coverage. - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 Old 09-27-2016

Re: Jose Fernandez tragedy news coverage.

Yeah, I'm seeing conflicting stories now, too. The FWC officer who held the press conference Sunday morning said that the boat and its owner were well known in the area, that they had stopped him for safety checks in the past, and that it was not unusual for him to take Marlins players out. The FWC officer seemed quite clear and confident that the boat did NOT belong to Fernandez, and that it was extremely unlikely that Fernandez was in command. But who knows what to believe?

Clearly, whoever was in command was not operating the boat in a responsible manner. I think we can all agree on that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 Old 09-27-2016

Looking at the chart and the crash photos the boat seems to be on a course somewhat parallel with the shoreline.. not entering the channel between the stone jetties. It would be insane to run down that channel at even half the reported speed. So perhaps they were shooting down or up the coast thinking they were no where near the cut / jetties to enter the harbor... perhaps further off and quite far from the entrance... Still speeding seems to be irresponsible because perhaps there were boats fishing out there... and blasting through at the reported speed seems totally nuts. The skipper was not thinking straight whether or not substances were involved.
post #23 of 28 Old 09-27-2016

Irrelevant of the channel or who is in charge or owned the boat, 50 miles and hour at night is just reckless. Can you see running lights of a sailboat, small powerboat or a kayaker at those speeds? Plus who is sober at 3 a.m.?

It's sad he lost his life but hanging out with a Jackass.... Glad no one innocent got hurt.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 28 Old 09-28-2016
Fortuitous

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
There's been an increase in this behavior on the Barnegat as well...we've even had them wave to us as they do it, obviously thinking it's funny.
I assumed it was a specialty of Barnegat.

My Boat Log, or "blog" if you will:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 28 Old 09-28-2016

Sorry to say... it's monkey see, monkey do... pretty much how these show off narcissistic behaviors spread through a culture. You see this is so many things from tatts to hair styles, to weaving and bobbing bikers on the hi way and jerks roaring though coastal waters.... doing nothing but experiencing SPEED.
post #26 of 28 Old 09-28-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Sorry to say... it's monkey see, monkey do... pretty much how these show off narcissistic behaviors spread through a culture. You see this is so many things from tatts to hair styles, to weaving and bobbing bikers on the hi way and jerks roaring though coastal waters.... doing nothing but experiencing SPEED.
#yolo

Current Boat: TBD
Currently Crewing: 22' Pearson Ensign (Wednesday Night Fall Racing)
Sailing Area: Casco Bay, Maine, USA
post #27 of 28 Old 09-28-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
Irrelevant of the channel or who is in charge or owned the boat, 50 miles and hour at night is just reckless.
You and I know that (and probably everyone reading this). But someone who doesn't know that much about boats, who goes out with someone that they THINK is an experienced and responsible boater, might very well not know any better. They are going to believe what they are told, and if they are told "Don't worry, I know what I'm doing" then how are they going to know any better?

Again, clearly the operator of the boat was irresponsible. I am not going to judge the others on-board, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
Plus who is sober at 3 a.m.?
Me. I could give you a list of other names, too, but they wouldn't mean anything to you. Fishing at night is a very common thing. Any given night there are dozens of boats out in the Gulf, or Tampa Bay, that are fishing. 99.9% of them are being operated in a perfectly safe manner, by people who are quite sober. I have no doubt the same is true off the coast of Miami.

Of course, I can't say for sure that was the case here. Maybe not. Probably not, I guess. Still, just because they were out on a boat a 3am--that by itself is no kind of evidence at all that the operator was drinking.
bigdogandy likes this.
post #28 of 28 Old 10-29-2016

In case anybody was still interested in / cared about this (I still follow it because I follow baseball in general):

Jose Fernandez was drunk, had cocaine in his system, toxicology report says | Miami Herald

For those disinclined to read the Miami Herald article, the gist:
  1. Fernandez was at a bit less than twice the legal BAC limit and had cocaine in his system.
  2. Both of the other men involved had alcohol in their system, but were below 0.08. One of them also had cocaine in him.
  3. There's some evidence that Fernandez was not piloting the boat at the time of the crash. I'm honestly unsure how it's just now being discussed that there was actually someone on the phone with him at the time of the crash, but apparently that conversation (and some corroborating text messages) indicate that he wasn't at the wheel.
  4. Of the three, Fernandez's lawyer believes that the pilot at the time of the crash was the one guy who did not have cocaine in him.

Current Boat: TBD
Currently Crewing: 22' Pearson Ensign (Wednesday Night Fall Racing)
Sailing Area: Casco Bay, Maine, USA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in