SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/vessels-lost-missing-danger/)
-   -   Jose Fernandez tragedy news coverage. (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/vessels-lost-missing-danger/265761-jose-fernandez-tragedy-news-coverage.html)

CalebD 09-25-2016 04:58 PM

Jose Fernandez tragedy news coverage.

I checked a few us media outlet news articles on this sad subject but none of them showed a picture of the actual wreck. I had to go to bbc.news for that scary picture: Miami Marlins baseball star Jose Fernandez dies in boat crash - BBC News

A picture is worth 1,000 words.
Sad loss of 3 lives.

ianjoub 09-25-2016 06:33 PM

Re: Jose Fernandez tragedy news coverage.

Judging by the bow, that was high speed into the jetty and the boat flipped.

CalebD 09-25-2016 06:52 PM

Agreed ianjoub about the boat speed.

I can almost understand why us news media chose not to include that photo in their reports. While there is no blood or bodies, the violence that boat must have endured is plain to see and rather viscerally disturbing.

Landwalker 09-25-2016 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianjoub (Post 3673897)
Judging by the bow, that was high speed into the jetty and the boat flipped.

That's in line with other reports I've seen—speed was definitely a factor (drugs/alcohol not suspected to be involved).

Well, speed, and the fact that it was almost 3 AM in what I'm told is not the most predictable area. When you're traveling at high speeds in a 30-foot power boat at three in the morning, it probably doesn't take much to send everything sideways.

Jose Fernandez was originally scheduled to start today's (Sunday's) game against Atlanta, but had his start pushed back to Monday, which meant he had Sunday off. You have to figure that, if he'd been starting Sunday as usual, he would have long since been in bed by the time the accident occurred. Which is not to say that the Marlins are in any way to blame for what happened, but there's some disconcerting butterfly effect stuff for you. Mattingly in particular is probably in really bad shape right now. Awful stuff.

CalebD 09-25-2016 08:09 PM

Butterfly effect:
What is Chaos Theory? ? Fractal Foundation

As boaters we are all more familiar with cause and effect, which certainly falls within the realm of the Butterfly effect.

Forget to stow that extra anchor rode on your boat for a long weekend outing and lose your main anchor?

bigdogandy 09-25-2016 08:56 PM

Incredibly sad story - he was a good guy and well loved in the community here.

It's not uncommon to have boats run into that jetty at night - I've almost done it myself. With the lights of the city in the background the channel markers can get obscured and you can believe you are in clear water if you're not paying close attention.

SanderO 09-26-2016 05:39 AM

Stupid to race at high speed at night especially... poor visibility and situational awareness. I've seen a number of this late night crashes into jetties resulting in fatalities in Greenport LI... Looked exactly like this one. Had a day marker at the end.

svHyLyte 09-26-2016 09:26 AM

When we first moved to Florida we kept our boat at the Miami Beach Marina for several months. Even at that time (1993) the speed with which the go-fast boats would take the Government Cut inlet at all hours of the day and night was stunning. I mentioned the matter to a fellow that was a Fountain (sp?) go-fast boat owner who laughed and responded that he had the "latest" GPS device with which he "...could thread a needle..." so it was a "...no brainer". (I thought "no-brainer" was a fairly accurate description of the practice but kept that sentiment to myself.) I wonder in this case whether they were relying upon GPS rather than keeping track of marks to make their entrance; and, if so, whether the equipment survived well enough for investigators to reconstruct their track.

In any case, it is a sad, sad end and our hearts go out to the victims families...

ggray 09-26-2016 06:38 PM

This certainly is tragic.

But, gosh, what if you had been out there at the time in another boat? If someone is traveling at that kind of speed, would they see your lights?

JimMcGee 09-26-2016 07:55 PM

One report estimated they were going in the 50+ mph at night with virtually no visibility.

He may well have been a "nice guy" but this is Darwin award territory. Thankfully these idiots only killed themselves and not some poor bastard who wasn't handling a boat like a reckless ass.

Sorry but I've seen enough idiot behavior out on Barnegat Bay that I have trouble feeling any sympathy, except for the family they left behind.