Sailboat on reef in New York Harbor - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-25-2017 Thread Starter

Sailboat on reef in New York Harbor

I was sailing past the Statue of Liberty on Saturday 6/24/17 when I saw a sailboat hard aground on the reef southwest of Liberty Island. The boat appeared about 30 feet long and I could see one person on board (might have been others). There were multiple helicopters and police boats in the area but none actually attempting to approach the stranded vessel. There was radio contact, I believe, but I couldn't make out any details.

It was gusting to 25kts at the time, so rescue was not going to be super simple. It also wasn't clear that the boat wanted to be rescued, it was dead low tide, maybe they just wanted to wait it out and try to float off?

Anyone have more info?
Attached Thumbnails
nyharbor1.jpg   nyharbor2.jpg  
mbianka likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-25-2017

Re: Sailboat on reef in New York Harbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki9 View Post
I was sailing past the Statue of Liberty on Saturday 6/24/17 when I saw a sailboat hard aground on the reef southwest of Liberty Island. The boat appeared about 30 feet long and I could see one person on board (might have been others). There were multiple helicopters and police boats in the area but none actually attempting to approach the stranded vessel. There was radio contact, I believe, but I couldn't make out any details.

It was gusting to 25kts at the time, so rescue was not going to be super simple. It also wasn't clear that the boat wanted to be rescued, it was dead low tide, maybe they just wanted to wait it out and try to float off?

Anyone have more info?
Know the area well. Current sweeps down the Hudson around the Statue of Liberty until you get further in the lee of the land. One needs to favor the starboard side of the channel going into and out of the anchorage when the tide is ebbing. Very easy for a boat to get swept up onto the shallow reefs on the south side of the channel and why I always have my Eldridge Tide and Pilot Book in the cockpit with me.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mbianka; 06-25-2017 at 07:01 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-26-2017

I saw that boat too, I thought he was in quite a bit further than your arrow, more like the second patch of reef/shoal area. Either way, it is mostly 4' around there at low, I would never venture in that area no matter your draft, especially on a falling tide. On the positive side, he didn't seem to be bouncing so hopefully no damage and floated away safely later.

post #4 of 14 Old 06-26-2017
Learning the HARD way...

...<*sigh*>

bigdogandy and zeehag like this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #5 of 14 Old 06-26-2017
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

A reef in NY Harbor? What, we got invaded by cold weather corals?

That's not a reef, it is just a SHOAL. There are wide expanses of the harbor, especially near Liberty and Ellis, that are a whole four feet deep, and the ferries really do need right-of-way at all times because those are the waters they are threading.

Years ago I saw a similar "wreck". It was the Pioneer, IIRC, doing excursions out of South Street Seaport, and trying to just be invisible while waiting all day for the next rising tide.

NY Harbor is actually considered a horribly SHALLOW port, not a deep water port at all in the scheme of things today. The main channel is only navigable for commercial shipping because it is dredged on a regular basis.

If you're sailing the harbor regularly, it pays to literally redline large areas of the charts. Between shoals, collapsed piers and pilings, there are plenty of places to get stuck.
Bene505 and zeehag like this.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-26-2017

Hi hellosailor,

With all due respect, look up the definition of reef:

Webster: a chain of rocks or coral or a ridge of sand at or near the surface of water.

Dictionary.com: A strip or ridge of rocks, sand, or coral that rises to or near the surface of a body of water.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-26-2017 Thread Starter

Yes, it could have been that second group of rocks (reef, shoal, call it whatever you like) further to the west.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-26-2017
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Webster, shembster. No one in the northeast calls a rock ledge, or sandbar, or pile of rocks, "a reef". Up here, a reef is coral and pretty fishes and there are none north of Florida in the Atlantic.

What the USCG calls "local knowledge". The pointy parts of NY Harbor haven't changed since Henry Hudson was here. Except where the Army Corps of Engineers blew more than a few of them to hell and back. Most of the rest have been under landfill for a hundred or two years.
zeehag likes this.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-27-2017 Thread Starter

What do they call that pile of sand and rocks at the north end of Block Island?

(hint: it's not "Block Island North Shoal")
post #10 of 14 Old 06-27-2017
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

The NOAA charts say "Block Island North Reef".
But *in* NY Harbor we have the oft-forgotten Robin's Reef Light, which folks try to turn into a B&B every once in a while.

Still, I've never met anyone who lives or sails here, calls it native waters, and calls anything a "reef". Other than what they tuck in the mainsail, or dove in warm water.

I don't see anything on the harbor charts that's marked as a "reef" in that area, short of Robin's, and that's a historical name, not a current application of the word. The charts clearly show shoals and rocks--but no reef.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in