Yachts Damaged on St. Martin after Hurricane IRMA - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 Old 09-23-2017

Re: Yachts Damaged on St. Martin after Hurricane IRMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
....The property owners and the authorities will want this all cleaned up as soon as possible......
you've been to these islands, I recall. While it will get cleaned up, I neither think it will be fast, nor thorough. Hazards to navigation will be removed. Junk hulls lying on a beach will take a long time in some places. Hulls that fell off their stands in marinas are going to be tricky. Storage was paid for, but the hull is severely damaged. I don't see them being legally tossed, nor many of the owners rushing to repair them. Some will become abandon afte their storage fee runs out. Not sure of the process down there to deal with that. Here it can't take years for the marina to get title and the right to dispose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 Old 09-23-2017
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Here it can't take years for the marina to get title and the right to dispose.
In FL it takes about 6 weeks to file paperwork, post legals, have an auction, and get a clear title in your (or whoever wins the auction) name. I have done it at my auto repair shop for repair bills. It is the same procedure here for storage fees.
post #23 of 25 Old 09-23-2017

Dock

Fibreglass boats are no good for man-made reefs as they tend to move about.

Anyway, St Martin has quite a number already. Gets to a point that natural might be better than adding rubbish to nature on purpose.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #24 of 25 Old 09-23-2017
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Is that a fact? Certainly can't imagine them doing that in the US. You might impound something, but to send someone's property to the bottom of the ocean would drive some lawsuits, I would think.
It was certainly done post Hugo. Most of the boats were sunk or awash. I guess the local harbor authorities have the right to remove obstructions. People were unscrewing bits as the barge chugged out to the dumping grounds.

What else can they do with them.

Damaged boats in boatyard will be trickier but there will be pressure to make space for incoming boats replenishing the charter fleets.

It was raining and I looked at some youtube drone footage of the lagoon and Oyster pond in St Marten. I was struck by the number of broken masts. There are a LOT of boats that look OK except that the mast is over the side or on the ground.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Last edited by TQA; 09-23-2017 at 11:58 AM.
post #25 of 25 Old 09-25-2017
Freedom Chip Counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Fibreglass boats are no good for man-made reefs as they tend to move about.
Even the 500' Spiegel Grove moved during hurricane Dennis (rolled 90deg to upright). As much as I'd like to see more reefs and the sea life that inhabits them, I'd hate to see them become hazards to navigation. Not to mention it takes a lot of prep work to "clean" a hull properly so that it doesn't do more harm than good to the environment.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Tartan 31

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in