Dog that went overboard 3 miles out to sea found alive on beach - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 60Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 60 Old 08-29-2018

Re: Dog that went overboard 3 miles out to sea found alive on beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
... I find the sentiment sufficiently offensive...
Of course you do, bless your heart. My tip to everybody is that if you are offended when somebody ridicules religious propaganda, then don't post religious propaganda.

Let me ask you: if that that story didn't involved praying and apparent answers to the prayers, would it have been newsworthy? IOW, if an unknown man had made a video with just an himself telling a tale of how his dog got swept overboard and then she swam/was washed ashore a few miles down the coast from where his boat had been towed, but no mention of a god, would you have posted it? Or consider another scenario where the man had praised Allah - would you have posted that? Would either of those stories garner a TV news segment? Try to be honest with yourselves.
bletso likes this.

Last edited by jwing; 08-29-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 60 Old 08-29-2018

The religon aspect of this story concerned me as much as the color of shirt he was wearing.
Zippo nada

Something is eating you up inside...
sailforlife likes this.
post #13 of 60 Old 08-29-2018

Quite a miracle considering the sharks, gators, coyotes, pythons, etc in Florida especially as you near the Everglades. Glad this one had a happy ending.

One acquaintance rescued a small dog off the coast of Puerto Rico and it slept with his daughter for a number of days until they brought it to a vet to asses its health. The vet told him he'd take care of it and ran out back with it. After a few moments of mayhem the Doctor came back to tell him that the giant rat was now dead and they would have to do some tests to ensure his family was not exposed to any diseases common to them. You have to be careful about what you pull out of the water.

post #14 of 60 Old 08-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
...My tip to everybody is that if you are offended when somebody ridicules religious propaganda, then don't post religious propaganda...
Wow. If you consider any of what's been posted to be religious propaganda, then you're either extremely oversensitive or delusional.

You are ridiculing a sweet story with a happy ending, and attaching conspiratorial motives to someone's spontaneous expression of joy. Time for an attitude adjustment, pal.
troy2000 likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #15 of 60 Old 08-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaStar58 View Post
One acquaintance rescued a small dog off the coast of Puerto Rico and it slept with his daughter for a number of days until they brought it to a vet to asses its health. The vet told him he'd take care of it and ran out back with it. After a few moments of mayhem the Doctor came back to tell him that the giant rat was now dead and they would have to do some tests to ensure his family was not exposed to any diseases common to them. You have to be careful about what you pull out of the water.
Seriously? That legend has been around since I was a kid. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-mexican-pet/
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.
post #16 of 60 Old 08-29-2018

Very lucky for the dog (and owner). I completely appreciate why people travel with pets, and I will not say they are doing anything wrong, but it's not for us. Our dog passed away just this January from cancer, we have been dog people our entire lives. However, now that we are getting more seriously into the cruising dream we have opted to not bring another dog into our lives. Honestly nothing fills me with dread more than the thought of a dog falling overboard in the dark and it swimming around seeing the lights from the boat getting further away until it's alone in the dark and it's fate. I know that's a bleak way to look at it, and yes pets should be tied off and looked after properly, but that 1\4 second when a mistake or accident happens would haunt my nightmares.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 60 Old 08-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
Seriously? That legend has been around since I was a kid. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-mexican-pet/
I know the girl who did it and we still tease her and her parents about it to this day.

So this passes the test that Snopes reporter was not able to do since I do know the exact names of the people involved along with many of their relatives. The girl gets quite put out when anyone brings it up and her father got quite a ribbing since his crew thinks its a hoot that a US Coast Guard Officer could make such an error while showing off his sailing skills to his family.

The glossy photograph of their daughter asleep with the "dog" cuddling up with her in their hotel room which her mother put in my hand went quite a ways towards sealing the authenticity of the event. There were also photos on the boat when they scooped the "dog" up out of the ocean, bathing the "dog", etc, etc.

So yes seriously.
post #18 of 60 Old 08-29-2018

Quote:
I know the girl who did it and we still tease her and her parents about it to this day.

So this passes the test that Snopes reporter was not able to do since I do know the exact names of the people involved along with many of their relatives. The girl gets quite put out when anyone brings it up and her father got quite a ribbing since his crew thinks its a hoot that a US Coast Guard Officer could make such an error while showing off his sailing skills to his family.

The glossy photograph of their daughter asleep with the "dog" cuddling up with her in their hotel room which her mother put in my hand went quite a ways towards sealing the authenticity of the event. There were also photos on the boat when they scooped the "dog" up out of the ocean, bathing the "dog", etc, etc.

So yes seriously.
You must understand that no rational person is going to believe your story shared here on the internet when it is almost verbatim a long standing legend told around the campfire for decades.

Just like you probably wouldn't believe my tale about seeing a headless horseman.
post #19 of 60 Old 08-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
Of course you do, bless your heart. My tip to everybody is that if you are offended when somebody ridicules religious propaganda, then don't post religious propaganda.

Let me ask you: if that that story didn't involved praying and apparent answers to the prayers, would it have been newsworthy? IOW, if an unknown man had made a video with just an himself telling a tale of how his dog got swept overboard and then she swam/was washed ashore a few miles down the coast from where his boat had been towed, but no mention of a god, would you have posted it? Or consider another scenario where the man had praised Allah - would you have posted that? Would either of those stories garner a TV news segment? Try to be honest with yourselves.
Excuse me? I'm about as nonreligious as they come, and I still enjoyed the story.

If the only thing of interest to you was the man's beliefs, I'd say the lens you view the world through has a remarkably narrow focus.

Try not to let the urgent override the important.

Last edited by troy2000; 08-29-2018 at 12:39 PM.
post #20 of 60 Old 08-29-2018

Quote:

So yes seriously.
Well, I fell for it But the Snopes argument ("Another Urban Myth. One of those far side stories that takes on a life of its own and keeps popping up in the strangest places. And people swearing itís true") is a pretty good one.

Looks like you have to round up a picture of the cuddling 'dog' to prove your point.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in