Dog that went overboard 3 miles out to sea found alive on beach - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 60Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 60 Old 08-29-2018

Re: Dog that went overboard 3 miles out to sea found alive on beach

Lol, I wish people wouldn't quote people I have added to my ignore list, I am trying really hard to keep the stupid out. And wow there is a lot of dumb going on there. Why does he think the only reason it was posted or made the news is because the guy mentioned praying for his dog's return (in the last paragraph...)? Some people only see what they want to see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 60 Old 08-29-2018
Old soul

Seriously jwing, Iím a proud atheist, and I too found the story touching. So what if they guy wants to ascribe divine intervention to it?

And as an old newspaper guy I can tell you the story would be just as compelling with or without the whole g-d stuff. Put sex, blood or animals on your front page and you sell lots more copies. Same goes with vids. The whole g-d stuff is just the cherry on the cake here.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 60 Old 08-29-2018

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
... if you are offended when somebody ridicules religious propaganda, then don't post religious propaganda...

Another way to say this is "if you are offended when someone's opinion is ridiculed, don't post an opinion."

Or

"If you disagree with me, just shut up."

I wonder if there is a record for being most ignored. I'm sure you're in contention.

post #24 of 60 Old 08-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy2000 View Post
Excuse me? I'm about as nonreligious as they come, and I still enjoyed the story.
I didn't ask if you enjoyed the story. I did ask if you think it would have made the local TV news or this website if there had been no weepy mention of God, or if the dog had been saved by Allah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy2000 View Post
If the only thing of interest to you was the man's beliefs, I'd say the lens you view the world through has a remarkably narrow focus.
I neither said nor intimated that which you have postulated about me. Therefore, it appears that the remarkably narrow-focused lens belongs to you.
post #25 of 60 Old 08-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Seriously jwing, I’m a proud atheist, and I too found the story touching. So what if they guy wants to ascribe divine intervention to it?

And as an old newspaper guy I can tell you the story would be just as compelling with or without the whole g-d stuff. Put sex, blood or animals on your front page and you sell lots more copies. Same goes with vids. The whole g-d stuff is just the cherry on the cake here.
You found it touching; so what if I found it to be pablum? What is your problem with that? Of course, the religious will be over-sensitive, and of course they will immediately resort to personal attacks based on their own imaginary facts about me. (BTW - great entertainment guys, I'm LMAO at your "outrage.")

Maybe it was the sinking boat angle that made it newsworthy, but many, many boats sink all the time and don't get mentioned on the TV news or even sailing forums. It can't be the dog story. Dogs get lost every day. Some are lost forever, some get returned; the great majority of cases do not get covered by the news media.

Actually, the story in question had two cherries...histronics and an Evangelical message, both caught on camera.

Last edited by jwing; 08-29-2018 at 05:21 PM.
post #26 of 60 Old 08-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaStar58 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
Seriously? That legend has been around since I was a kid. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-mexican-pet/
I know the girl who did it and we still tease her and her parents about it to this day.

So this passes the test that Snopes reporter was not able to do since I do know the exact names of the people involved along with many of their relatives. The girl gets quite put out when anyone brings it up and her father got quite a ribbing since his crew thinks its a hoot that a US Coast Guard Officer could make such an error while showing off his sailing skills to his family.

The glossy photograph of their daughter asleep with the "dog" cuddling up with her in their hotel room which her mother put in my hand went quite a ways towards sealing the authenticity of the event. There were also photos on the boat when they scooped the "dog" up out of the ocean, bathing the "dog", etc, etc.

So yes seriously.

It sounds like it was a really good rat and I'd be really pissed if somebody killed my pet rat. I don't see what the problem was. If it didn't show signs of rabies after a week, give it a rabies vaccination and get it a pink rhinestone collar.
post #27 of 60 Old 08-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCarlson View Post
Another way to say this is "if you are offended when someone's opinion is ridiculed, don't post an opinion."

Or

"If you disagree with me, just shut up."
I simply expressed my opinion. I did not not ridicule anybody or anybody's opinion. OTOH, most of you resorted to personally attacking me for expressing an opinion that does not match yours. You should be very embarrassed. And now I'm on the "ignore" list of the most overly-defensive/sensitive strangers who don't like my opinion. I'm soooo hurt.
post #28 of 60 Old 08-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
One man's touching story is another man's religious pablum.

Wow, you have some serious hang-up about people and their religious beliefs. What skin off your teeth does it cause you if somebody chooses to believe in magical fairy tales.

And Homeward Bound dog stories appear in the paper all the time, even when prayers aren't mentioned.
post #29 of 60 Old 08-29-2018
Old soul

Jwing, you're pretty funny.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 60 Old 08-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Jwing, you're pretty funny.
Yeah, I know that I'm an entertaining guy. But the diagnoses from ignorant armchair psychologists writing in this thread are friggin' hilarious. Based on what I've written here, how in the world can somebody write something as daftly off the left-field wall as this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
Wow, you have some serious hang-up about people and their religious beliefs.
I'll give you a clue, midwesterner, about what I actually have: some light amusement from people and their religious hang-ups.

Go back and read all the all the attempts to make me feel bad. As a whole, it is sillier than the funny part of the video, from 2:00 to 2:37. If that had been me in the situation, I would have thanked the people who rescued me and also the people that rescued my dog, and the people who got the dog back to me. They and the dog are the real heroes. Alas, that would not have been as entertaining.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in