Dog that went overboard 3 miles out to sea found alive on beach - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 60Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 60 Old 08-29-2018 Thread Starter
Old as Dirt!

Re: Dog that went overboard 3 miles out to sea found alive on beach

Jeeze--

I come back here and find an uproar still going on because some Putz has a hard-on for something referring to someone "praying" for the life, safety of their dog. Ya gotta be kidding!?!

I posted the story as I found it quite touching. We lost our own dog of 14+ years to incurable kidney disease on April 17th. It was a profound loss as she was a particularly sweet dog that was originally our daughter's, picked out by our daughter when she was 11 and, in some respects, our last material connection to our daughter's childhood. We would have given anything to have been able to save "Bitsey" (so known as because when our daughter picked her out she was just "...a little bitsey puppy Daddy"). When I saw the story, I thought of our Bitsey and thought it was very touching and I was happy for the young man that had been so distressed at his supposed loss. Frankly, I did not read the entire story regarding his prayers but could easily understand his sentiments and thankfulness if I had initially.

That someone has a problem with that--or feels that it is somehow 'religious propaganda' of sorts--is unfortunate but likely reveals much about the party. In fact, those that I have know to have become the most vociferous "anti-religionists" are often those that, earlier in their lives at some point, prayed fervently for some blessing or another that was not bestowed. Their disappointment/anger at not having their prayers answered manifests in their subsequent hostile/anti-religious posture.

N'any case. I'm glad the young man got his dog back and I'm glad that at least some can vicariously share and enjoy his joy in the event. As for the others? Who really cares, eh?

FWIW...
MikeOReilly and troy2000 like this.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 Old 08-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
My tip to everybody is that if you are offended when somebody ridicules religious propaganda, then don't post religious propaganda
This wasnít propaganda, which by definition is promoting a point of view. It was just a dude with his belief that made no effort to convince anyone else. You seem to lack understanding of the difference and display extraordinary intolerance.

Quote:
Let me ask you: if that that story didn't involved praying and apparent answers to the prayers, would it have been newsworthy?
Yes

Quote:
IOW, if an unknown man had made a video with just an himself telling a tale of how his dog got swept overboard and then she swam/was washed ashore a few miles down the coast from where his boat had been towed, but no mention of a god, would you have posted it?
Yes

Quote:
Or consider another scenario where the man had praised Allah - would you have posted that?
Yes

Quote:
Would either of those stories garner a TV news segment
Yes

Quote:
Try to be honest with yourselves.
Look up the definition or irony, seeing as you didnít understand the word propaganda.
troy2000 and sailforlife like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
sailforlife (08-29-2018)
post #33 of 60 Old 08-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
It sounds like it was a really good rat and I'd be really pissed if somebody killed my pet rat. I don't see what the problem was. If it didn't show signs of rabies after a week, give it a rabies vaccination and get it a pink rhinestone collar.
In the photographs it looked more like one of these and was about the size of a small rat terrier to my eye but I believe it would be highly unlikely unless one escaped from a zoo. If it was anywhere near to a close or even distant relative I do not believe it would have made a good pet plus imagine trying to get license and registration so you could bring it in to the physical USA on a Commercial Airline:

post #34 of 60 Old 08-29-2018

amazing lucky dog
post #35 of 60 Old 08-29-2018

Jesus Loves you JWING.....
post #36 of 60 Old 08-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaStar58 View Post
In the photographs it looked more like one of these and was about the size of a small rat terrier to my eye but I believe it would be highly unlikely unless one escaped from a zoo. If it was anywhere near to a close or even distant relative I do not believe it would have made a good pet plus imagine trying to get license and registration so you could bring it in to the physical USA on a Commercial Airline:
Someone thought that was a dog???? Gimmeabreak!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #37 of 60 Old 08-29-2018
Catalina 400 MKII

Brothers and Sisters, let us join our hands together and pray for our dear brother JWing.....
.................................................. ............................................ ................

Gery, Good story about the cat. He came back. (Yes, the cat came back, the very next day. The cat came back, they thought he was a goner. Yes, the cat came back, the very next day .....)

I thought the story of the dog swimming 3 miles and being reunited with his human was pretty cool. Very newsworthy. Thanking God is pretty common in lots of societies. I don't particularly care either way, but I thought Jwings comments were, shall I say, less than polite.
post #38 of 60 Old 08-30-2018

Re: Dog that went overboard n smiles out to sea found alive on beach

Quote:
You found it touching; so what if I found it to be pablum? What is your problem with that? Of course, the religious will be over-sensitive, and of course they will immediately resort to personal attacks based on their own imaginary facts about me. (BTW - great entertainment guys, I'm LMAO at your "outrage.")

Maybe it was the sinking boat angle that made it newsworthy, but many, many boats sink all the time and don't get mentioned on the TV news or even sailing forums. It can't be the dog story. Dogs get lost every day. Some are lost forever, some get returned; the great majority of cases do not get covered by the news media.

Actually, the story in question had two cherries...histronics and an Evangelical message, both caught on camera.
The 'problem' isn't that you considered it Pablum; the problem is that you labeled it religious propaganda.

The story wasn't built around the dog owner's beliefs. They were an addendum, rather than being the point of it. Maybe you should chill a little, and grant those whose beliefs you disagree with some space.
JimMcGee and MikeOReilly like this.

Try not to let the urgent override the important.

Last edited by troy2000; 08-30-2018 at 03:39 AM.
post #39 of 60 Old 08-30-2018

Quote:
I didn't ask if you enjoyed the story. I did ask if you think it would have made the local TV news or this website if there had been no weepy mention of God, or if the dog had been saved by Allah.
Yes, I do think it would've made the local news. I've seen plenty of reports over the years about dogs that were lost somehow and made it home... It's a pretty standard feel-good genre.
Quote:
I neither said nor intimated that which you have postulated about me. Therefore, it appears that the remarkably narrow-focused lens belongs to you.
I think your post spoke volumes; it was hardly just an obscure 'intimation'.

Try not to let the urgent override the important.

Last edited by troy2000; 08-30-2018 at 03:43 AM.
post #40 of 60 Old 08-30-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Someone thought that was a dog???? Gimmeabreak!!!!!!!!!!!
Well TakeFive, in today's society with all the rampant helmet shaming we see increased occurrence of severe head injuries, this family clearly should have worn more helmets.

On separate note let's all stop feeding the de-railing comments from earlier. I don't think we are getting anywhere beneficial anymore lol.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in