SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/vessels-lost-missing-danger/)
-   -   Dog that went overboard 3 miles out to sea found alive on beach (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/vessels-lost-missing-danger/325394-dog-went-overboard-3-miles-out-sea-found-alive-beach.html)

svHyLyte 08-28-2018 10:19 AM

Dog that went overboard 3 miles out to sea found alive on beach

A touching story:

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...6317.image.png

For more see Live Aboard Dog Overboard! And keep your live aboard pets tethered!

MikeOReilly 08-28-2018 10:32 AM

Re: Dog that went overboard 3 miles out to sea found alive on beach

1 Attachment(s)
So glad it ended (relatively) well for this fellow, and for the dog!

A number of years ago I had sailed to an island group in Lake Superior. While hiking the shoreline I came across this dessicated carcass of a dog. It was not far from the beach.

It looked to me like the dog dragged itself up onto shore, and then died with its head resting on the log. Likely fell off a passing boat. Very sad.

jwing 08-28-2018 10:49 AM

One man's touching story is another man's religious pablum.

Minnewaska 08-28-2018 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwing (Post 2051548934)

That's a little harsh. To each his own, no? He wasn't forcing his prayer on anyone and he's at peace. I'm happy for him and his dog.

Capt Len 08-28-2018 06:10 PM

Sometimes not so happy an ending. Found mid Salish Sea a large white sheep dog..Probably off passing motor yacht .Not uncommon back when to find bodies in the gill net. Judging from the number of feet in runningshoes found on the beach, there is a correlation to the demise of salmon fishing

svHyLyte 08-28-2018 06:17 PM

Quote:

I have been mulling your comment since shortly after your posted it this morning. I wasn't going to respond but, frankly, I find the sentiment sufficiently offensive that I feel compelled to do so. That the man's dog survived in the circumstances is, for all practical purposes, miraculous. To him--and likely to most pet owners in similar circumstances--his prayers were answered, whether by chance or by some higher authority. Giving thanks in such circumstances would be, for most, quite natural and to the more devote, perhaps, to g_d, in either case heartwarming. I would think it more natural, for most, to share his joy, relief, and thankfulness. It takes a pretty callus character to hold that expression of thanks in contempt and to voice that sentiment is, itself, contemptible, revealing more about the character, or lack thereof, of the speaker than he/she might prefer be disclosed in a public forum.

You, buddy, have ended up on my "Ignor" list and I would not be surprised other's as well.

FWIW...

RegisteredUser 08-28-2018 06:44 PM

3 miles out isnt very far.
Lucky for him.
Hopefully a lesson learned.
The cap will rethink and regroup...form new plan for his dream.

The Net is an easy and open outlet for unhappy people to disparage others. Why this gives them some pleasure or relief...i have no idea. Mental/emotional diversion maybe.

TakeFive 08-28-2018 07:20 PM

An incident like that can take a non-religious man and make him religious very quickly. Regardless of how you feel about religion, only the most callous person would denigrate someone's emotional reaction to such a miraculous outcome.

Quote:

Beyond disgusting, IMO.

travlin-easy 08-28-2018 08:01 PM

Some of these comments sure make me glad I drink on a regular basis! ;)

We have a fellow Sailnet member who has a beautiful, black cat, one that can apparently swim quite well. One night while MarioG was anchored near the University of Miami, his cat decided to try to catch a fish that was splashing near the boat. It jumped overboard in the middle of the night, and swam to the nearby island. Mario and his wife, Sherry, figured the cat must have drowned, but still searched the nearby island for several hours before giving up. A few days later, they sailed to Marathon, spent a couple weeks there, then sailed back to Miami and dropped the hook in the same cove they been enjoying for years. Mario decided to go grocery shopping, put the dinghy in the water and rowed to the island's launch ramp, where he was immediately greeted by the cat.

Gotta love it when stories have a happy ending,

Gary :cool:

tschmidty 08-28-2018 09:56 PM

Quote:

Yeah added to ignore list. It's not like this whole story was about him praying, blah, blah. I could say more but not worth it.

Anyway, really glad this had a happy ending, I know I would trade my boat and pretty much everything else (besides my wife of course) to save my dog since he has more humanity than a lot of people I have encountered.