Dog that went overboard 3 miles out to sea found alive on beach - SailNet Community
 60Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 Old 08-28-2018 Thread Starter
Old as Dirt!

Dog that went overboard 3 miles out to sea found alive on beach

A touching story:

For more see Live Aboard Dog Overboard! And keep your live aboard pets tethered!

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 08-28-2018
Old soul

Re: Dog that went overboard 3 miles out to sea found alive on beach

So glad it ended (relatively) well for this fellow, and for the dog!

A number of years ago I had sailed to an island group in Lake Superior. While hiking the shoreline I came across this dessicated carcass of a dog. It was not far from the beach.

It looked to me like the dog dragged itself up onto shore, and then died with itís head resting on the log. Likely fell off a passing boat. Very sad.
Attached Thumbnails
dog.jpg  

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 60 Old 08-28-2018

One man's touching story is another man's religious pablum.
miatapaul and bletso like this.

post #4 of 60 Old 08-28-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
That's a little harsh. To each his own, no? He wasn't forcing his prayer on anyone and he's at peace. I'm happy for him and his dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 60 Old 08-28-2018

Sometimes not so happy an ending. Found mid Salish Sea a large white sheep dog..Probably off passing motor yacht .Not uncommon back when to find bodies in the gill net. Judging from the number of feet in runningshoes found on the beach, there is a correlation to the demise of salmon fishing
post #6 of 60 Old 08-28-2018 Thread Starter
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
I have been mulling your comment since shortly after your posted it this morning. I wasn't going to respond but, frankly, I find the sentiment sufficiently offensive that I feel compelled to do so. That the man's dog survived in the circumstances is, for all practical purposes, miraculous. To him--and likely to most pet owners in similar circumstances--his prayers were answered, whether by chance or by some higher authority. Giving thanks in such circumstances would be, for most, quite natural and to the more devote, perhaps, to g_d, in either case heartwarming. I would think it more natural, for most, to share his joy, relief, and thankfulness. It takes a pretty callus character to hold that expression of thanks in contempt and to voice that sentiment is, itself, contemptible, revealing more about the character, or lack thereof, of the speaker than he/she might prefer be disclosed in a public forum.

You, buddy, have ended up on my "Ignor" list and I would not be surprised other's as well.

FWIW...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #7 of 60 Old 08-28-2018

3 miles out isnt very far.
Lucky for him.
Hopefully a lesson learned.
The cap will rethink and regroup...form new plan for his dream.

The Net is an easy and open outlet for unhappy people to disparage others. Why this gives them some pleasure or relief...i have no idea. Mental/emotional diversion maybe.
MikeOReilly likes this.
post #8 of 60 Old 08-28-2018

An incident like that can take a non-religious man and make him religious very quickly. Regardless of how you feel about religion, only the most callous person would denigrate someone's emotional reaction to such a miraculous outcome.

Quote:
Beyond disgusting, IMO.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #9 of 60 Old 08-28-2018

Some of these comments sure make me glad I drink on a regular basis!

We have a fellow Sailnet member who has a beautiful, black cat, one that can apparently swim quite well. One night while MarioG was anchored near the University of Miami, his cat decided to try to catch a fish that was splashing near the boat. It jumped overboard in the middle of the night, and swam to the nearby island. Mario and his wife, Sherry, figured the cat must have drowned, but still searched the nearby island for several hours before giving up. A few days later, they sailed to Marathon, spent a couple weeks there, then sailed back to Miami and dropped the hook in the same cove they been enjoying for years. Mario decided to go grocery shopping, put the dinghy in the water and rowed to the island's launch ramp, where he was immediately greeted by the cat.

Gotta love it when stories have a happy ending,

Gary
post #10 of 60 Old 08-28-2018

Quote:
Yeah added to ignore list. It's not like this whole story was about him praying, blah, blah. I could say more but not worth it.

Anyway, really glad this had a happy ending, I know I would trade my boat and pretty much everything else (besides my wife of course) to save my dog since he has more humanity than a lot of people I have encountered.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in