Barry Perrins aka Old Sea Dog overdue on Pacific crossing - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 Old 02-17-2019

Re: Barry Perrins aka Old Sea Dog overdue on Pacific crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Is it Public? Or Friends only? If its public, could we have a link please?
Maybe I'll just copy his posting and put it here. Mods if that is wrong, I can't tell if its wrong anymore, delete the posting not me. He has photos of his boat, filthy hull from sea scum.

Barry's post on facebook. And a link
https://www.facebook.com/adventureso...438?__tn__=K-R

71 days at sea alone, I sailed across the Pacific
4,000 nautical miles to the French Polynesian Islands of the Marquesas.
2 times the size of the Atlantic with sixty-three million square miles covering a 3rd of the Worlds surface. In real terms I sailed half of it, but it is the hardest and longest part with no land for 3,800 miles.
During the trip I went ‘over due’ for 20 days. Although not listed ‘missing’, I was out of touch with the outside World of loved ones and friends who had no idea of where I was.
This is what happened . . .
I set off a day later than everybody thought I had. Being at a small island in the Perlas group off Panama I no phone or internet connection. I was waiting for ‘the weather’. Next to me was was my friend Mike, an ex Olympic snow board champion turned sailor, on his boat Easy. We had a fish dinner cooked on a drift wood fire on the beach. The next day I set off. Mike followed and was joined by the White Spot Pirate girls Nike and Maria on their boats Karl and Joana who, together with Mike were , heading for Columbia. By morning I was alone.

The next 18 days was a slow near windless trip to round the the north of the Galapagos islands arriving and crossing the equator in the early hours of Christmas morning. It was by now very rough and all I could do was heat up some noodles for my Christmas dinner.
This was the way it was going to be. The sea was like a washing machine, all angry and confused. Most of the time it was with 5 metre swells that broke at the top. As it was a down wind sail (Trade winds) the ‘weather’ was behind me. On White shadow I don't have power auto helm only a hydrovane wind steering system. normally it is a brilliant bit of kit but like all wind vanes doesn't like down wind sailing. The huge swell was pushing water past the boat faster than she was traveling, this meant that the rudder had nothing to bite into. The other major factor is that although the sea conditions looked and felt like we were in a storm there was effectually no wind. I’d never seen that before. Big sea no wind. I was making around 3 knots. I never saw 5 knots on the entire trip! During this time the boat motion was violent with constant rolling and side decks going underwater. At times we’d get a broadside hit. The sound of a ton of water hitting the side of the boast at force was an explosion inside the hull.
And so it was . . . for 6 weeks.
I’d torn the mainsail and bought that down. It had been boomed out to the side. Then the fore sail got damaged. While up on the foredeck I checked the forestay (front cable that supports the mast) and saw to my horror that the securing pin was half out. I was within half an inch of loosing the mast. After dropping all sail and Shaddie doing her usual thing of lying across the weather! I set to work trying to get the pin back in. There was so much load on the stay it was impossible to more than a half repair and only do a makeshift job of things. I judged it to dangerous for me to remain on the fore deck and returned to the safety of the cockpit.
So now under reduced sails my speed was now 2 -3 knots. I was lucky to be doing 50nm a day. To give you an idea, I should have been making 120nm per day. This brought about the next problem, growth on the hull. I’d heard about the Pacific and how quickly the sea here can foul a boat but never believed it. We started with a clean boat but now had 4’’ of goose barnacles covering the entire boat. The Hydrovane would now not work at all. To make miles and get across this huge ocean I now had to helm (steer) the boat by hand at least 9 hours a day. At night I’d layahull and stop for the night. I’d try to cook or at least heat up a can of beans but sometimes sleep was all I could do. I remember thinking ‘I still have a 1000 miles to do and Im doing under 3 knots’ Staying positive became my number one goal. I had to keep myself fit for the job. It was the tiredness that was the deal breaker. I was so worried that I was now well overdue. I felt for my sister, loved ones and friends who by now thought of me as missing. My friend Dave who is my ‘eyes on shore’ called the British coastguard who have an International rescue service. They called the French Polynesia coast guard.
Another day of fighting to get at least 50 miles a day. By now Im at an all time low. With only 200 miles to go it was still going to be a ***** to the last. No quarter given in this battle. Then I head a voice. “Ello Ello White Shadow” A French voice coming out of my radio. I looked around, no other vessels, I run down and answer “This is White Shadow’ “Zis iz der French air sea rescue”. As he said the words I looked out heard and saw a Lear jet fly past my mast at 180 knots WHAMMM.
I told them I could make port without assistance and thanked them for coming out and that I would be fine. After another incredible sea level fly past the guys left me alone. In the silence that followed, I had what I will only describe as an emotional moment.
With the knowledge that everybody knew I was safe and that I was not alone, my spirits lifted.
5 days later I put the anchor down at the island of Hiva oa.
I had sailed alone 3937 nautical miles in 71 days. 55.5nm per day at an average of 2.3nm per hour.
Could have swam it faster . .
Dreams can come true.
On a foot note; Thanks to Milf (Dave) Mate you are truly my hero.
Thanks to all those who sent comments and took time to be concerned for me.
Sorry to my lil Sis and family who I put though a bad time.
Love you all.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.

Last edited by Skipper Jer; 02-17-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old 02-17-2019

Dock

Wow, fantastic read. Great photos.
Some people its the fastest trip they ever make. We did Galapagos to Marquesas in 20 days... the barnacles didnt have time to grow

--- without skiting, scroll back and look at one of my posts... problems mean you only do 2 knots, as was his boat speed after the forestay issue, note it took him a day to get that pin in as much as it could. Then hand steering for 9 hours per day... just cant do more than that and 9 hours is a valiant effort. I thought 8 max.

It just shows you what you must be capable of if the need arises. Not easy, eh?

Congratulations to him! Fantastic effort. Great seamanship just hanging in there and doing what needed to be done.
mbianka likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #23 of 31 Old 02-17-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
He is making perfect time.

I use my self-made formula for getting 'home' on passages:

Passage length @ 2 knots plus 1 day stuff around time after the initial incident.

Panama to Marquesas is long. About 4,200 nms.
Most stop in at the Galapagos. If he didn't his incident must have happened downwind than that.

3,200nms @ 2 knots = 66 days.

But also include the first 1,000 nms. They can be very difficult because on contrary current and lack of wind untill quite close to the Galapagos.

If they know he is on course and going 2kts he must be communicating some way (via satellite).
His blips then show he is having a slow trip after some incident.

Out there, between Galapagos and Marquess is nothing. Like, left me repeat that: Nothing.

It's 3,000+ miles to Mexico, the closest coast.
We never saw a ship for 2 weeks.

It's a great test for a person. There ain't no help, buckaroo. It ain't Kansas.

Good luck to this guy bringing his boat home alone and unassisted. It takes someone special.

Mark
What he actually did:
Quote:
5 days later I put the anchor down at the island of Hiva oa.
I had sailed alone 3937 nautical miles in 71 days. 55.5nm per day at an average of 2.3nm per hour.

Damn fine effort by him!!!!!

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #24 of 31 Old 02-18-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Jer View Post
The next day I set off. Mike followed and was joined by the White Spot Pirate girls Nike and Maria on their boats Karl and Joana who, together with Mike were , heading for Columbia. By morning I was alone.
I notice when he set off he was briefly joined by the woman from another current thread:
Devastatingly sad video: "The End of The Dream"
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #25 of 31 Old 02-18-2019

Yes, they've been in each other's videos from time to time.
post #26 of 31 Old 02-18-2019
Learning the HARD way...

He also appeared in RAN Sailing from time to time while they were in the Carib.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #27 of 31 Old 03-30-2019

I hope you guys are right and that he's having a good journey.
post #28 of 31 Old 03-30-2019

I hope he got some video of the hull before the jackhammers.
Prob needs 2 or 3 months of good benders before the gets the itch again
mbianka likes this.
post #29 of 31 Old 06-28-2019 Thread Starter

FYI Barry Perrins aka Old Sea Dog just posted a video about the time we had these posts of his where abouts in the Pacific. Mark of Sea Life was spot on in his analysis of his situation. Personally I am content sailing coastal these days. This did not look like fun.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

post #30 of 31 Old 06-28-2019

He kept his head....didnt lose it.
mbianka likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in