Do not pick up illegal migrants in the Med! - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 94 Old 03-29-2019 Thread Starter

Dock
Re: Do not pick up illegal migrants in the Med!

I don't think any of us can plan how we would react.

Each situation I have been it at sea is utterly unique.

We must all rely on our moral compass and the situation as we see it.

I have no doubt that all of us would do our best. None of us are types that would leave people to die... But I also think none of us are so naive enough to realise we could put ourselves in a serious situation.

My best advice to *me* is that I will do the right thing at the right time.

MikeOReilly, capta and mbianka like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 94 Old 03-29-2019

Reminds me of a situation where we were making passage between Block Island and the Eastern end of Long Island. It wasn't foggy, but visibility was poor, maybe a few miles. You could not see shore by a long shot, but could certainly see a distance. As we're sailing, we see an orange lump in the sea, too far away to be able to fully make it out. It could be a life jacket. For a few moments, getting further away, I'm asking myself if that could really have been what we saw. I say to my wife that we should turn around and go over to check. To my surprise, she become extremely anxious that we may find someone dead in a life jacket. I can't know she would have sailed on, if alone, but it did seem that intense. I can't imagine she would approach a vessel, with sick or injured or even dead crew, particularly if she might be outnumbered and overwhelmed. I'm sure she would call for help on the radio.

We turned around. On the entire 5 ish minute return trip, she was visibly anxious, even scared. As we approached, it turned out to be an orange mylar balloon. Whew.

BTW, I've never seen a plastic straw in the water. I see these freaking mylar balloons all the time. The trend toward banning straws reminds me of our never ending desire to prove to ourselves we're doing something and frequently accomplish little. If we don't suffer or feel the sacrifice, it must not be working. These balloons are what need to be banned. But, I digress from the topic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #33 of 94 Old 03-29-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaddy View Post
The question isn't so much what would you do if you came upon refugees dying on a raft at sea, but rather what would you do if you and your family lived in a place so terrible that the prospect of dying on a raft at sea was not a deterrent to giving it a shot. Refugees are not "illegal". They are refugees. A little compassion out there on your private yacht.
This is an important perspective to inform one's decision making. Also consider that at least one of the people on board may be a trafficker of people. That guy presents the greatest threat.

I ran across an interview on Youtube last night (cant' get to the link right now) of a middle aged couple who encountered a skiff with 11 people on board between Spain and Algeria. The skiff rammed the sailboat in an attempt to forcibly board with three. One was successfull and two fell overboard. The skiff's engine died preventing additional attempts. The one that successfully boarded was not hostile, but who knows how they would have been if all three had boarded, they could easily have imposed their will over the crew. Desparate people doing desparate things.

Rescue was coordinated and it had a happy ending. But it could easily have gone very differently. Compassion can be a dangerous thing.
MarkofSeaLife and mbianka like this.

post #34 of 94 Old 03-29-2019
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post

I have no doubt that all of us would do our best. None of us are types that would leave people to die... But I also think none of us are so naive enough to realise we could put ourselves in a serious situation.

Well said.

This thread title grabbed my interest, as someone who is soon to fly to Malta and begin sailing the Med it's a slightly more than a theoretical question.

I won't add much else as I think you have pretty eloquently hit the nail on the head.

I am however reminded to be continually thankful that I was born in a spot in the world where I have no firsthand experience of war, famine, poverty or lawlessness.
MarkofSeaLife and PhilCarlson like this.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

post #35 of 94 Old 03-29-2019

Quote:

Fair enough. But just like with MOB situations, it helps to think through the options ahead of time because the situation gets "real" and emotional very quickly.

On a beautiful, calm night last summer in coastal Boston waters what seemed like a domestic quarrel (a bunch of drunk people arguing on a motor boat nearby) suddenly turned into an MOB situation. Once we realized a man from the other boat was just barely clinging to the underside of a loose tow ring (the kind that powerboats tow for fun) a few hundred yards away and was about to go under, and the motor boat was dead in the water (they were yelling at each other for running out of gas), it became very intense.
We did get to the MOB in time, who was nearly incoherent and losing his gross motor skills. We pulled him into our boat, which took two strong guys to do and caused him considerable pain as we dragged him up over the low stern of our boat. Even though the conditions were nearly perfect, help was but a mile or two away, and the MOB was a stranger, it was very stressful. In the rushed gybe to turn around and get him, I got hit by the boom really hard for the first time. Luckily, the boat I was on was small and the boom fairly light. If the boom on our boat had hit me, I would've been knocked out or dead.
chall03, MarkofSeaLife and Arcb like this.
post #36 of 94 Old 03-29-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Reminds me of a situation where we were making passage between Block Island and the Eastern end of Long Island. It wasn't foggy, but visibility was poor, maybe a few miles. You could not see shore by a long shot, but could certainly see a distance. As we're sailing, we see an orange lump in the sea, too far away to be able to fully make it out. It could be a life jacket. For a few moments, getting further away, I'm asking myself if that could really have been what we saw. I say to my wife that we should turn around and go over to check. To my surprise, she become extremely anxious that we may find someone dead in a life jacket. I can't know she would have sailed on, if alone, but it did seem that intense. I can't imagine she would approach a vessel, with sick or injured or even dead crew, particularly if she might be outnumbered and overwhelmed. I'm sure she would call for help on the radio.

We turned around. On the entire 5 ish minute return trip, she was visibly anxious, even scared. As we approached, it turned out to be an orange mylar balloon. Whew.
This reminds me of another situation I was in some years ago. We had taken a mooring at Spectacle Island in Boston Harbor and were having dinner when there was a commotion on a motor boat perhaps a 100 yards away. We couldn't quite see what was going on, but there seemed to be someone in the water. But the boat was under power, there were a lot of young people on it, and there were other motor boats actively moored closer to them. Then a number of police, rescue, and firefighter boats come screaming from all directions towards the boat. We hear a call on Ch.16 from the police or CG to look for what sounded like 'missing limb in the water'. We thought we'd misheard, but then a police boat approaches to ask us if we didn't see a missing arm in the water! We slipped our mooring and starting circling, looking for the missing arm in the water along with a bunch of other boats, a pleasant dinner on a beautiful night having turned into a gruesome search.

Yup, this was the infamous 'Naut guilty' (the boat's name) incident, where a 19 yo girl had jumped in the water to 'rescue' a lost cushion, and the boat backed over her, the prop severing her arm, never to be found. The boat was owned by a DUI lawyer who also was a part-owner of a liquor store in Charlestown. Everyone of 15 or so people onboard this small boat were very drunk, many underage. The authorities tried to shut the liquor store down after that incident, I think unsuccessfully. Then a friend happened to sit in the seat next to a girl on a flight out of Boston some years later. She was missing an arm, and he couldn't resist asking if it was her, which it was. You can't make this stuff up.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #37 of 94 Old 03-29-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCarlson View Post
<snip>

I ran across an interview on Youtube last night (cant' get to the link right now) of a middle aged couple who encountered a skiff with 11 people on board between Spain and Algeria. <snip>
Here's an interview with that couple
https://youtu.be/tyvcxmAescU

No matter where you go, ....
B&B Spindrift 11N
Past Adventures:
post #38 of 94 Old 03-29-2019
Old soul

Quote:

Well said Mark. Ditto.

But as a starting point, my advice is not to operate out of fear. Since we are being specific, the article DOES NOT support the supposition that these people are a menace. It says this is the first event in all the years it has been going on.

As I clearly stated, a seaman’s obligation is to render assistance with out unduly risking their own crew or vessel. In this case, a small sailboat can provide limited assistance to a raft of 120 people. Water, perhaps refuge for the most vulnerable. Who knows. I do know it would be hard for me to simply sail past and attempt to do nothing, but desperate people can be dangerous people. I would not overtly risk my crew or my vessel.
chall03, MarkofSeaLife and mbianka like this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 03-29-2019 at 02:08 PM.
post #39 of 94 Old 03-29-2019

If the water taxi captains who rescued Sulli and his passengers in the Hudson instead held off, saying "Desperate people can be dangerous people"--what would you think of them?

Renae
post #40 of 94 Old 03-29-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaddy View Post
If the water taxi captains who rescued Sulli and his passengers in the Hudson instead held off, saying "Desperate people can be dangerous people"--what would you think of them?
If any of them had placed their boats or crew at undue risk in the rescue effort, I would question their competence.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in