SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/vessels-lost-missing-danger/)
-   -   Do not pick up illegal migrants in the Med! (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/vessels-lost-missing-danger/328976-do-not-pick-up-illegal-migrants-med.html)

MarkofSeaLife 03-28-2019 02:56 AM

Do not pick up illegal migrants in the Med!

Be very very careful cruising the Med.

Saving someones life may mean the end of yours.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/rescue...-officials-say

Minnewaska 03-28-2019 07:35 AM

Re: Do not pick up illegal migrants!

The article doesn't make the circumstances very clear. I take it the migrants were armed, but it doesn't say so. What I hate about all media these days (liberal and conservative) is they only seem to want to make their point.

It's an interesting issue. Imagine being faced with a makeshift raft between Cuba and FL. Clearly it's occupants are at risk. You might be inclined to take them aboard, but then what. I'm sure I'd hail the Coast Guard, who would undoubtedly respond. However, since they never made it to shore, I don't believe they can "take advantage" of the asylum rules. Rules, btw, that should not be eliminated in the US, but are in desperate need of amendment. Those and the birth rite citizenship laws were written for extremely different purposes and are being flatly gamed right now.

In any case, if the occupants of the raft were astute enough, they may not want your help.

MarkofSeaLife 03-28-2019 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 2051592028)

It's an interesting issue. Imagine being faced with a makeshift raft between Cuba and FL. Clearly it's occupants are at risk. You might be inclined to take them aboard, but then what. I'm sure I'd hail the Coast Guard, who would undoubtedly respond.

What makes you think you would be allowed to radio the coast guard?

On this sinking raft is 30 people including 10 babies and children under 10 some of which are in the water hanging onto the over crowded raft. You see at least 1 dead body floating in the water. On the raft are at least 5 women in high distress, and at least 10 men distressed and who's only thought is to save the lives of their families.
The adults know if they are returned to the previous country they will be shot.
To kill you and your wife and crew so they can get to asylum safely means nothing to them.

What do you do?

Take them on board where you risk your life?
Ring the Coast Guard/Navy? They say you are in International Waters and you are not to bring them into their country.

What do you do?

RegisteredUser 03-28-2019 08:16 AM

Regarding US and Cuba...wet foot dry foot ended a few years ago

PhilCarlson 03-28-2019 08:59 AM

That's a really difficult call.

It's easy to sit here and say I wouldn't take them on board, but when faced with watching a horrific situation unfold everything changes. Even if one is truly powerless to help, the emotional urge to do something can be overwhelming and lead to bad decisions.

I really don't know what I'd do.

john61ct 03-28-2019 09:16 AM

There are various systemic solutions to prevent this problem from arising in the first place.

But a discussion of those various options wojld likely not be productive in an online forum.

And not welcomed by the owners of the platform.

But let's just say, the ideas expressed by the title and in the "news item" linked to

I find pretty reprehensible.

A key question - would you risk your life to save that of others?

And should your perception of their ethnic origin or religion be a factor in your answer?

hpeer 03-28-2019 09:58 AM

John,

Whether it “should” or not aside, the fact is it does. That kind of thinking is deeply programmed into our selves through our long evolutionary history. Like how a hawk silhouette will scare a chicken. It pops up in the best meaning people as in “wack a mole.” We have to determine how to deal with it on an institutional basis but understand that on a personal basis it is a very human reaction.

krisscross 03-28-2019 10:34 AM

In the struggle of life and death, choosing your own life over that of others, is a natural choice. I would radio their position to authorities and maybe waited at safe distance for them to show up. Desperate people do very desperate things. A drowning man will take you down, it’s an instinct.

john61ct 03-28-2019 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpeer (Post 2051592048)
That kind of thinking is deeply programmed into our selves through our long evolutionary history.

a very human reaction.

It is also human nature to murder a man because we covet his wife.

Our species' progress has always been a battle against our more primitive instincts.

That said, the perception of ideas of "tribes" and "races" having different values of human life is to me a socially taught construct, not genetic.

RegisteredUser 03-28-2019 10:50 AM

Must be a no wind day.
Becalmed in cyberland...