Catamaran flipped two die - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 35 Old 07-12-2019

Re: Catamaran flipped two die

Digging the bow of a cruising catamaran into a 6' wave should be a non-event. We've done this hundreds of times without any concern or feeling of the boat being on edge. Six foot seas are calm waters offshore.

I've never been on a Spirited 380, but they look to be a good design. On the other hand, they have the same sail area and 1/3 the weight of our 46' catamaran, so it is likely they need to be sailed a bit conservatively at times. I don't know what the sail configuration was on the boat, but in 30kt winds on a beam reach, we would be triple reefed, or just sailing on headsail alone, and enjoying a leisurely and easy 9-10kt pace. Anything more would be outside our comfort zone.

Mark
jblumhorst and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 Old 07-12-2019

I dislike catamarans. Try to prove I don't.

Well, except the aforementioned Gunboat 68.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #23 of 35 Old 07-12-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
in 30kt winds on a beam reach, we would be triple reefed, or just sailing on headsail alone, and enjoying a leisurely and easy 9-10kt pace. Anything more would be outside our comfort zone.

Mark

And you're not 78 years old.

Or are you?

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #24 of 35 Old 07-12-2019

Have sailed Corsairs in 6’. No main. No problem. More on the beach cat end. Also have crewed in Newport Bermuda multi hull race. Again no issues even in weather.
Tend to like tris more then cats. Find less issues with slamming. Better performance to weather. Less hobbyhorsing. Trade off is less room unless you're talking about something like the Neels. But all multis are dependent upon form stability to stay upright. So the thinking for all multis compared with monos shifts. The clues that you’re overpowered are different on a multi. All multis unlike monos don’t heel much more in heavy air. They do heel a bit more but not enough for that to be the only way clue you’re waiting for.

Unfortunate that a gunboat on its initial passage ran into trouble . And several of the newer chris white Atlantics dug a bow and flipped. The old saw “reef often...reef early” holds.
jblumhorst and fallard like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 07-12-2019 at 09:45 AM.
post #25 of 35 Old 07-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
And you're not 78 years old.

Or are you?
I look just like my avatar - something you can't say...

Mark
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #26 of 35 Old 07-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
....Unfortunate that a gunboat on its initial passage ran into trouble.....
Are you referring to the 55 that dismasted off of Hatteras? Found upright and afloat a year later, as I recall. Amazing.

Still, add 13 ft seemed to be the response, by Gunboat.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #27 of 35 Old 07-12-2019

Think it also down flooded the engines and had steering troubles from what I recall. Still a friend did a long delivery on the 55 and absolutely loved the boat. Couldn’t say enough good about it. Excellent ride, pleasant to live on on passage and of course speedy.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #28 of 35 Old 07-12-2019

It was much more than just the mast, as I recall, as well.

There was one thing I really disliked about the 68. The cleat were all retractable, and the hulls were painted grey. There was no toe rail, so the docklines laid directly on the hulls. As a result, each dockline had a custom fleece cover and there was a pad laid out over and around each cleat, when extended. The pad was obviously custom to fit over.

Seemed like way to much effort to prep to be slip side. Of course, this boat was professionally crewed, so they need something to do, I suppose.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #29 of 35 Old 07-13-2019
Sailnet Vendor

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Have sailed Corsairs in 6’. No main. No problem. More on the beach cat end. Also have crewed in ...(snipped) The clues that you’re overpowered are different on a multi. All multis unlike monos don’t heel much more in heavy air. They do heel a bit more but not enough for that to be the only way clue you’re waiting for.

...snipped... The old saw “reef often...reef early” holds.

+1

We frequently sail our Corsair 24 in 28-33 knots steady with higher gusts under #2 reef and small jib. The boat doesn't give us any warning that we're overpowered, so I reef early upwind, and reef downwind or reaching when the speed exceeds about 13 kts.

We've hit 15 kts through the water a few times on a reach or run, but I'm a chicken, so I reduce sail when that starts to happen.

I am perfectly happy to sail at 11-13 kts of boat speed. There's no need to be greedy on a multihull in high winds. It's not safe. You gotta stay within the limits of the boat and the crew.

Judy B
San Francisco Bay and Delta
F24 Trimaran
post #30 of 35 Old 07-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblumhorst View Post
+1

We frequently sail our Corsair 24 in 28-33 knots steady with higher gusts under #2 reef and small jib. The boat doesn't give us any warning that we're overpowered, so I reef early upwind, and reef downwind or reaching when the speed exceeds about 13 kts.

We've hit 15 kts through the water a few times on a reach or run, but I'm a chicken, so I reduce sail when that starts to happen.

I am perfectly happy to sail at 11-13 kts of boat speed. There's no need to be greedy on a multihull in high winds. It's not safe. You gotta stay within the limits of the boat and the crew.
A Corsair 31 just capsized in the LO300 an hour ago. I have no information as to how or why it happened. It was leading the race. Wind gusts were 25 knots in the area, but Lake Ontario can offer up some pretty severe bursts. All safe aboard USCG vessel.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in