Multiple fatalities in California scuba boat fire - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 172Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 257 Old 09-03-2019
al brazzi

Re: Multiple fatalities in California scuba boat fire

There was a second exit over the bunks, although unclear if it was used. Nitrox was available per sales brochure so apparently Oxygen was on board, whatever happened was so quick only persons on deck (apparently) had a chance for escape. Horrible to say the least and though I never ran overnight charters which changes the landscape considerably from a safety standpoint, I know what could go wrong was always in the front of my mind. Whatever happened here was very fast in progression, sounds like an explosion or rapid accelerate Propane or the like. Only speculation at this point.
MarkofSeaLife and Minnesail like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 257 Old 09-03-2019
Old as Dirt!

The two things I want to know are:

Why was there only a single exit from the sleeping quarters, which seems insane; and,

Why was there no one on watch that could have delt with the matter and raised an alarm before it got out of hand? I have never been abouard a ship that did not maintain a night watch when anchored out.

As to the source of the fire, while it might have been cooking fuel, something had to spark the fire and in these days of lith-ion battery devices being ubiquitous; and, the frequency with which they have caused fires when improperly stored or charged, I would not be surprised to learn such a device proved to be the ignition point for the fire.

What a senseless waste of lives...
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #13 of 257 Old 09-03-2019
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
The two things I want to know are:

Why was there only a single exit from the sleeping quarters, which seems insane; and,

Why was there no one on watch that could have delt with the matter and raised an alarm before it got out of hand? I have never been abouard a ship that did not maintain a night watch when anchored out.

As to the source of the fire, while it might have been cooking fuel, something had to spark the fire and in these days of lith-ion battery devices being ubiquitous; and, the frequency with which they have caused fires when improperly stored or charged, I would not be surprised to learn such a device proved to be the ignition point for the fire.

What a senseless waste of lives...
I'm reading in LA Times coverage there was a second exit (Hatch) accessible above bunks leading to the mess hall. It was quick whatever the cause, yes absolutely horrible waste. NTSB is at the scene. They were trying to talk to crew this morning (reporters not authorities) and of course there was nothing to say.

post #14 of 257 Old 09-04-2019
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

Rescue crews still searching for passengers trapped aboard Conception. Once the fire started, it was too late for many ? fisherynation.com
MarkofSeaLife and Minnesail like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 257 Old 09-04-2019

Dock

I've read a few utter BS lines in my life but this is the most BS ever:

Quote:

regardless of what sparked and fueled the fire, this much is clear: Once it started, it was too late for most of those on board to safely escape.
Bulltwaddle! Utter total bulldust!
Unless it was a massive explosion there should never be a fire in which no one can escape. No law could allow a floating death trap to be at sea.

The investigation will prove the fire survivable if there was proper emergency exit - and an exit going into the mess that's co-located with a galley is not an emergency exit - proper alarms, proper fire suppression, and as someone smarter than me pointed out, a proper Watch where a crew member is awake to ensure the safety of 35 fare paying passengers and 5 crew.

California seems to have many laws some of which I roll my eyes, but could there really be a loophole so vast 35 people can die like this?

This stinks.
drew1711 and chef2sail like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #16 of 257 Old 09-04-2019

with each hatch chimneying the flames, i can see where there would be no safe exit for anyone below decks..
this accident is a damned shame and will change many requirements for construction of these dive use vessels.
the chimneying from a lightning strike is what destroyed a friends ct41 in clearwater. no escape possible, had he been on board and ct41s have 3 exits. this boat had 2.

post #17 of 257 Old 09-04-2019

''should never be a fire in which no one can escape. No law could allow a floating death trap to be at sea. '' If the emergency exit is into the cabin where the 'to galley' stairs lead ..!! I gave considerable effort to satisfy Canadian DoT rules concerning this when I brought Thane to Passenger certification. And emergency exits onto deck /w/t bulkheads are a big part of vessel design .( passed as built ,even after CG looked at the 6 dead divers aboard the Huntress ,burned/sunk in Vancouver at the fuel dock.Argued successfully in court that all aboard the 115' vessel were not passengers but club charter members so vessel didn't need any passenger related stuff/papers. (helicopter fuel storage tanks leaked down to reefer compressor and boom.

Last edited by Capt Len; 09-05-2019 at 02:05 PM.
post #18 of 257 Old 09-04-2019

conception is not a new ship--has been successfully working dive charters since 1981 with the rigid coast guard inspections and other hoops thru which to annually crawl. so.. what happened happened. is still under investigation.
we cannot always plan for ALL eventualities as nature and mayhem hold different parameters than do we human beings.

post #19 of 257 Old 09-04-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
California seems to have many laws some of which I roll my eyes, but could there really be a loophole so vast 35 people can die like this?
This stinks.
California had absolutely nothing to do with this vessel other than collect taxes and possibly provide a liquor license. This is 100% USCG. They are responsible for every aspect of this vessel's licensing, operation and safety certificates.
But don't fool yourself when it comes to fires aboard vessels. A small fire in the brig forward aboard a 600 foot ship I was crew on as a teen, engulfed 1/3 of the ship in 25 minutes against the efforts of a well trained and experienced firefighting team.
We can second guess this thing to death, but sometimes things just stack up so that there is literally no stopping them. Ultimately, it will be the captain's responsibility and after a bunch of legal wrangling I'm sure the company will be included. Perhaps laws and procedures will change. But you can't just jump on, let us say California, at this time and point fingers. The boat will be brought up and a thorough investigation will follow. I will be interested in the outcome of that, not idle speculation or unfounded accusations.
Not to say I'm a fan of California or it's manner of doing business.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #20 of 257 Old 09-04-2019

This is a horrible tragedy. I’m just reading this thread from the beginning now and find it fascinating that so many were initially convinced there was only one exit. How do basic facts like this get so out of hand, so early.

I suspect the cause of the fire will be the learning point, not the location of the multiple exits. We’ll see.

Horrible, no matter how you slice it. I hope their surviving family and friends can find peace.
zeehag likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in