Looking for Carol K - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 45 Old 10-28-2019

Re: Looking for Carol K

Were they in distress, or just out of communication?
scratchee likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 Old 10-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Two men and their dog, who had been missing since setting sail from Jamestown, RI on Oct. 23, have been found safe about 100 miles off the coast of Cape Henry, NC, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

Ryan Hollis, Joshua Kane Cairone, and a French bulldog named Louis-the-buoy were last seen aboard a white 43-foot Benneteau sailboat named Carol K. via social media post at 12:41 p.m., Wednesday, October 23.

The were found by a rescue aircrew flying an HC-130 out of Elizabeth City, NC.

Coast Guard watchstanders were first notified about the missing boaters from a phone call from Hollis’ girlfriend reporting him overdue Friday.

Search and rescue crews include an HC-130 aircrew from Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City, North Carolina, and an HC-144 aircrew from Air Station Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

Rescue crews completed multiple searches over large areas of the East Coast of the United States covering more than 30,000 square nautical miles.

#BreakingNews #UPDATE: The Coast Guard has safely located the two missing men and their dog 100 miles off the coast of Cape Henry, NC. They were found by a rescue aircrew flying an HC-130 out of Elizabeth City, NC. #SAR @USCGNortheast @uscgmidatlantic

— USCGNortheast (@USCGNortheast) October 28, 2019
Uh Cape Henry North Carolina is near Raleigh according to Google. Probably meant to say Cape Henry Virginia. Still good news they were found safe and sound. Still think a lot of effort and anxiety could have been avoided had they just carried a cheap tracking device like a Delorme or Inreach device. Seems like cheap insurance for their passage.
eherlihy likes this.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 45 Old 10-28-2019

Perhaps they continued past VA and that's why they're overdue.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #14 of 45 Old 10-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Still think a lot of effort and anxiety could have been avoided had they just carried a cheap tracking device like a Delorme or Inreach device. Seems like cheap insurance for their passage.
No. A lot of effort and anxiety could be avoided by simply managing expectations of shore people. These almost weekly BOLA's are annoying. It seems like everyone thinks cruising is done to time tables like airlines or trains, and apparently those doing the cruising have failed to manage the expectations of those they leave behind.

Cruising should not be about constant tracking and having shore assistance alerting authorities the very minute or hour one does not make their intended destination. In this case, and every other one in recent memory, a Delorme-type device provides no insurance at all, because everyone was safe and happy anyway. It might have saved much money on SAR sorties in this case, but that isn't the purpose of those devices, and this type of situation could easily be avoided without one.

In a case last year or so, the Delorme actually CAUSED a SAR to commence because it stopped transmitting for a day.

Instead, an EPIRB and rugged communication gear like SSB or Satphone - activated when needed by the ship crew - is the correct answer.

I'm afraid we may be entering an age of crying wolf that is going to bite someone in real trouble eventually.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #15 of 45 Old 10-28-2019

Seems to be kinda dumb and inconsiderate not to have a locator or AIS B or a regular radio / telephone schedule. If they weren't lost or in distress... they endangered the USCG and wasted a lot of money for those searches.
tempest likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #16 of 45 Old 10-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Seems to be kinda dumb and inconsiderate not to have a locator or AIS B or a regular radio / telephone schedule. If they weren't lost or in distress... they endangered the USCG and wasted a lot of money for those searches.
The boat crew didn't endanger anyone or waste any time - the shore person/people did. I guess by extension the boat people could be blamed for not managing the shore people correctly, but I've no way of knowing this.

Like I mentioned earlier, there was one case recently where a SAR was initiated because a locator stopped transmitting for a day and the owner left instructions to call authorities if he was lost.

This is not the correct way of handling emergencies. The boat crew themselves are responsible for initiating SAR, and should be equipped to do so. The exception might be something like "I'm due at my next landfall around X date. If you don't hear from me by X+Y date, then alert authorities". The "Y" in this case would be a large number proportional to "X".

It would not be hours, or even a couple of days.

I'm not sure how an AIS would have helped in this situation. That isn't really a ship-shore communication.

Mark
chef2sail and oldfurr like this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #17 of 45 Old 10-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The boat crew didn't endanger anyone or waste any time - the shore person/people did. I guess by extension the boat people could be blamed for not managing the shore people correctly, but I've no way of knowing this.

Like I mentioned earlier, there was one case recently where a SAR was initiated because a locator stopped transmitting for a day and the owner left instructions to call authorities if he was lost.

This is not the correct way of handling emergencies. The boat crew themselves are responsible for initiating SAR, and should be equipped to do so. The exception might be something like "I'm due at my next landfall around X date. If you don't hear from me by X+Y date, then alert authorities". The "Y" in this case would be a large number proportional to "X".

I'm not sure how an AIS would have helped in this situation. That isn't really a ship-shore communication.

Mark
Well yeah... and AIS B can be followed online even if the position lags.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #18 of 45 Old 10-28-2019

By now the dog is prob pulling watch duty.
Let em keep on gettin on
post #19 of 45 Old 10-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

Mark
Yeah agree the shore relations could have chilled a bit. But, a cheap Sat Traker would have taken away any fear that they were in trouble with reassuring breadcrumb locations posted online. If it fails as you mention at least the SAR crew have a last known location which would narrow any search area which is a very good thing.

EPIRB may or may not be activated depending on the nature of the emergency. Remember El Faro? But I agree would be very good to have. Still does not ease the worry of family or friends.

Sat Phone a real plus but $$$.

SSB is fine as long as you have power and the rigging is still up.

AIS signal might be picked up by nearby shipping and noted in Ships Log and be able assist any SAR with a location.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

post #20 of 45 Old 10-28-2019 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

The skipper seems to have provided a float plan to a responsible person. The responsible person alerted the CG, as they should, when the boat was overdue to check in.

The skipper should have alerted the responsible person when/if he deviated from the float plan.

SAR did what they are supposed to do. Dudes and dog are safe.

I feel for the dog.
chef2sail and mbianka like this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

Last edited by eherlihy; 10-30-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in