Looking for Carol K - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 45 Old 10-29-2019

Re: Looking for Carol K

I have no interest in returning to the wild west, where your family left for years, with zero communication, and returned married and with a family. We don't sail wooden square riggers on passage anymore either.

Modern communications equipment is extraordinarily inexpensive, compared to the price of the bloody boat. Stay in touch. Not only to prevent unnecessary SARs, but to respect the feelings of those that are concerned for your safety.

For that matter, an EPRIB tells SAR nothing but the fact that it's been activated. SAR can't even tell if it's a false alarm, let alone the nature of the emergency. You may have lost propulsion. There may be a crew member having a heart attack or you're sinking. Do you know how long they take to try to figure it out? Could be longer than you have. Sure, trigger the EPIRB for an emergency, it's the most reliable. Getting a satellite text or phone message to SAR to explain that it's real and exactly the resources you require will get them on scene quickly.
mbianka likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 Old 10-29-2019

My point wasn't to leave without any communication - it was to manage shore-side expectations. We have almost weekly BOLA's issued for boats that are a day late daysailing a 500nm trip. We have them for boats whose Delorme didn't transmit one 6hr interval. We have them for boats who simply chose a different anchorage than they originally intended and hadn't yet put the boat away to call home. It has gotten downright silly, and all cases have been false alarms due to shoreside hysterics.

If people are filing float plans, with instructions to call help under over-strict rules of communication, then that is on the them, but it's wrong. Sailors have a responsibility to manage time expectations on shore. After all, these people are generally unfamiliar with passagemaking and all it involves - bad weather to them just means their flight is delayed an hour.

A heart attack, sinking, or similar could not involve the shoreside at all, because they don't have real-time information. I agree that an EPIRB doesn't help time-wise here, but you seemed to willfully ignore the rest of my sentence in that post where I stated "and rugged communication gear like SSB or Satphone". I assumed cellphone as a given, but maybe I should have also made that explicit.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #23 of 45 Old 10-29-2019

Hey Ryan, call your girlfriend when you say you will. Your missed calls cost us a lot of money.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/10/...orth-carolina/
eherlihy, SanderO and Minnesail like this.

post #24 of 45 Old 10-29-2019

Know Iíve been catching static on the AIS thread but coastal and passage have AIS on ALWAYS. Another reason for transceivers. They are more helpful coastal as you may disappear offshore on AIS. Send an email daily and leave breadcrumbs from the spot or Go. Have more excess phone minutes than bytes usually and cellphone coverage is surprisingly good on on east coast so thatís an option we use as well. Coast guard vhf goes out a long way.
Have two grown daughters who track us. They know to try to contact us before reaching out to anyone else. They are use (over 30 years) to sailing trips so have good judgment as to when thereís a real probability we are in trouble. Iíve been called overdue once. We were really in trouble then. SAR never found us but fortunately it all sorted out.
Thank the lord these people are safe. Hindsight is 20/20. Hope they learned and change their protocol.
SanderO and mbianka like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #25 of 45 Old 10-29-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Know Iíve been catching static on the AIS thread but coastal and passage have AIS on ALWAYS.
But few small pleasure craft owners have an AIS transponder, they just have the receiver, so no position is broadcast.

This sounds like he said to his paramour, Beth, "Yeah,...we'll likely pull into Norfolk on Saturday. I'll call you." It's like when I go off to run errands at the hardware store, the grocery store, and the auto parts store and, as I'm heading out the door, I tell my wife, "I'll be back in a couple of hours". Some women actually ascribe meaning to the sounds and grunts we make as we walk out the door.

But. like I said, "Ryan, Beth appears to be one of those women who, apparently, expects to hear from you when you say that you're going to call. Save the tax payers a lot of money,... and call Beth.

Ha, if I was ever lost at sea, I shudder to think how long it would be before my wife would think to call, because of my history. The kids would say, "Mom, shouldn't we call out a search for Dad?" She'd say, "Oh, you know your father, he probably changed his mind and went somewhere else".
post #26 of 45 Old 10-29-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Know Iíve been catching static on the AIS thread but coastal and passage have AIS on ALWAYS. Another reason for transceivers. They are more helpful coastal as you may disappear offshore on AIS. Send an email daily and leave breadcrumbs from the spot or Go. Have more excess phone minutes than bytes usually and cellphone coverage is surprisingly good on on east coast so thatís an option we use as well. Coast guard vhf goes out a long way.
Have two grown daughters who track us. They know to try to contact us before reaching out to anyone else. They are use (over 30 years) to sailing trips so have good judgment as to when thereís a real probability we are in trouble. Iíve been called overdue once. We were really in trouble then. SAR never found us but fortunately it all sorted out.
Thank the lord these people are safe. Hindsight is 20/20. Hope they learned and change their protocol.
This is a good feature and application for AIS . In the other thread we are specifically speaking about a question asked by a Chesapeake Bay sailor

An AIS signature would have shown this vessel making progress.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #27 of 45 Old 10-29-2019

Some years ago I was cruising solo. I went way outta my way to find a phone and call my wife with my itinerary l. As usual she listens with half an ear and didn’t understand what I was saying. After not hearing from me for a few days freaks and calls the Canadian CG. I was tucked up a fjord with no VHF contact and no other boats. When I eventually got to a small town some guy told me to call the CG , they were looking for me. That’s how I got an Iridium phone. According to a witness the Wife was a basket case, breaking down crying and such, I only heard about this a few years later. She just called me a s*+t head and told me to not do it again. I told her to pay effing attention for once. Such a sensitive and loving couple we are!

More seriously this is something I struggle with a bit. Without going into details we don’t have anyone competent with whom we can file a float plan. I would pay for such a service if one existed. I’ve thought about doing something on Facebook, but I can’t really make that work in my head. For one thing often no internet. Best thing would be someway to do a daily Iridium SMS message with lar/lon to someone with a float plan.

It is troublesome.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #28 of 45 Old 10-29-2019

Sounds like inreach might be your ticket
bigdogandy likes this.
post #29 of 45 Old 10-29-2019

Location: Splitting time between Merritt Island, Fl and Asheville, NC for a bit

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Sounds like inreach might be your ticket
+1 on the InReach....cheap, easy, and effective.
mbianka likes this.

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #30 of 45 Old 10-30-2019

Whenever overnight or longer, I set up the InReach webpage with a password and give it to a couple of buddies of mine who could sign on to see every move. One is a sailor, one is not. Whenever I text someone, it automatically attaches our current lat/long. I find myself texting just to pass the time, but it serves a productive purpose. I have the subscription, with unlimited texting that I can turn on and off throughout the year.
mbianka and midwesterner like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in