SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Vessels Lost, Missing, or in Danger (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/vessels-lost-missing-danger/)
-   -   Looking for Carol K (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/vessels-lost-missing-danger/331730-looking-carol-k.html)

eherlihy 10-27-2019 10:54 AM

Looking for Carol K

This guy set out on a Benneteau 43 with 1 crew aboard (total of 2 souls) from Jamestown, RI and is overdue for landfall in Norfolk, VA. No mention of his planned route or equipment or training/experience (any of which would be helpful) but I surmise that he planned to go offshore in order to make it in 3 days.

https://www.wcvb.com/article/coast-g...sland/29598160

mbianka 10-27-2019 02:34 PM

Re: Looking for Carol K

Having a nasty day here on Long Island hope they are not in it. Seems foolish to not have some type of tracking location transmitter on such a passage Delorme etc... Even AIS might be helpful in a search. I'm currently reading the Gathering Wind about the sinking of the BOUNTY. Expect the USCG has launched Hercules aircraft to try and make contact or relay any communications to SAR offices. Hope this ends with good news. Still early in the search though.

eherlihy 10-27-2019 03:16 PM

If they went just south of Block Island and then set a heading for Norfolk, it is about a 350nm trek. The rhum line heading is about 330ļ. At 6kts, that would take about 59hrs... However, because they would be headded DIRECTLY into the prevailing winds, they would not make 6kts for 59hrs. There are few bailout options along the south coast of Long Island or the Jersey shore, and all the bailout options would be 40+ miles to the west of this rhum line.

I did some Facebook research on the skipper. From what I could read, it seems to me that he bought an old ketch in 2017 and moved aboard. He ended up donating the ketch to charity in 2018 after he aquired the Benneteau. Most of his sailing seems to have been in or around Narragansett Bay. I could find no info on how the Benneteau was equipped, or his sailing education. He had a couple of young kids and a girlfriend. It was the girlfriend that alerted the Coast Guard that he was overdue for check in at Norfolk.

I hope this turns out well, but none of what I could find (above) makes it sound promising.

eherlihy 10-27-2019 03:44 PM

Officials now say Joshua Kane Cairone and Louiś, the Frenchie, were also on the boat with Ryan Hollis and have not been seen since Wednesday. A Twitter post at 12:41pm EDT shows them with an inflated dinghy on davits, and possibly R "2" FL R 4s WHIS south of Pt. Judith in the background.

https://i2.wp.com/www.wpri.com/wp-co...60%2C540&ssl=1

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news...sing-sailboat/

outbound 10-27-2019 03:54 PM

Have done that trip multiple times to meet up with SDR to get to eastern Caribbean. In the fall every time the trip from Naragansett bay to Norfolk VA has been worse than Norfolk to BVI.
Thereís no good bail point in a strong easterly until cape May. Given its so shallow for such a distance youíre not really off the continental shelf so even moderate waves break. Southerlies mean either motor sailing into square waves or tacking. To get a decent ride you canít be hard on the wind. 45-55 degrees is much better.
If you hug the coast waves reflect off the shore or break on shoals so are confused.
Cold,wet, bumpy either sailing or motor sailing. Just sucks.
Iíve said on this site Iím convinced coastal is more difficult than ocean. This transit among many (coastal Portugal, Atlantic France, West US coast going north etc.) is among those that can be quite difficult in the fall.
Close friend on sistership is going Naragansett to howdy bailey (Norfolk) to get some work done. He waited last week out. Leaving tomorrow or Tuesday depending on what gribs and Parker say today. Heís taking three. Although a short passage itís isnít one where you can just set the AP and vane then sit back and watch AIS. Even at this time of year someone needs to be within a step of the wheel.

eherlihy 10-27-2019 04:18 PM

I am also making the trek from RI to Norfolk, VA. leaving next Monday (November 4). The boat is well-found, a Caliber 40LRC, and it has AIS. I will be helping two novice sailors bring their boat to the Bahamas. Once in Norfolk, they will take the ditch to Florida.

My plan is to take our time and transit Long Island Sound to Sandy Hook, NJ. We will then wait for a window to jump from Sandy Hook to Cape May. Once in Cape May I will decide to either go up the Delaware and down the Chesapeake, or around the outside to Norfolk, again weather dependent. I will check in with my wife every day, so my position and plan will be known within a 100 mile radius. I have planned on TEN days to make the trip, and will take longer if the weather doesn't cooperate.

outbound 10-28-2019 08:23 AM

Smart.

eherlihy 10-28-2019 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outbound (Post 2051633170)
Smart.

I've never been accused of that before! I think "conservative" might be more apropros.

Anyway, this thread is not about me, but about the crew aboard Carol K. Hoping for a happy ending.

SanderO 10-28-2019 10:43 AM

Has this boat been located?

eherlihy 10-28-2019 05:20 PM

Two men and their dog, who had been missing since setting sail from Jamestown, RI on Oct. 23, have been found safe about 100 miles off the coast of Cape Henry, NC, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

Ryan Hollis, Joshua Kane Cairone, and a French bulldog named Louis-the-buoy were last seen aboard a white 43-foot Benneteau sailboat named Carol K. via social media post at 12:41 p.m., Wednesday, October 23.

The were found by a rescue aircrew flying an HC-130 out of Elizabeth City, NC.

Coast Guard watchstanders were first notified about the missing boaters from a phone call from Hollis’ girlfriend reporting him overdue Friday.

Search and rescue crews include an HC-130 aircrew from Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City, North Carolina, and an HC-144 aircrew from Air Station Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

Rescue crews completed multiple searches over large areas of the East Coast of the United States covering more than 30,000 square nautical miles.

#BreakingNews #UPDATE: The Coast Guard has safely located the two missing men and their dog 100 miles off the coast of Cape Henry, NC. They were found by a rescue aircrew flying an HC-130 out of Elizabeth City, NC. #SAR @USCGNortheast @uscgmidatlantic

— USCGNortheast (@USCGNortheast) October 28, 2019