Another bump in the night.... - SailNet Community
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By mbianka
  • 1 Post By Minnewaska

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Another bump in the night....

More things seem to go bad in the night at sea. Thinking of Steve Callahan of ADRIFT fame and then there is this story:

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: Another bump in the night....

Yikes. You can really find the tough ones. Did they say a steel ship? Surprising that went down by an impact, but I think I also heard it may have separated the rudder. Audio was hard on this computer.
mbianka likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 5 Old 3 Weeks Ago

[QUOTE=Minnewaska; Audio was hard on this computer.[/QUOTE]

You can click on the auto generated CC which helps with the voice over but the CC does not pick up what was spoken on the VHF. It would have been helpful if the makers of the video corrected and added to the auto generated CC. So they hit something and water came in through the rudder, sinking the boat. There are a lot of whales around Niue and between Niue and Tonga. In Niue, whales swim through the anchorage, especially at night. I am becoming a big believer in a skeg hung rudder.

Last edited by overthehorizon; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:50 AM.

post #4 of 5 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthehorizon View Post
....I am becoming a big believer in a skeg hung rudder.
More boats should have water tight compartments around the rudder shaft. I need to examine ours more closely. The shaft sits within a compartment that would retain alot of water, but it would quickly overflow if the rudder hull penetration was compromised. It would fill into a very large lazzarette area, which I believe will flood forward, but I've never dug into the steering linkage area to see how. I bet there are some limber holes that allow it. If that simple, I'd really consider blocking them off and putting a separate bilge pump and high water alarm in that aft section. The pump would only be to evacuate convenience water, from dripping, open lazz hatches, etc. But one should stay afloat, if the entire locker flooded. As I think about it, there must be electrical and plumbing chases that would flood through too.

Our bow chain locker, which runs from the waterline to the deck, is water tight to the rest of the boat. That is a minor sense of comfort, in the event we t-boned something.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 5 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Isolating the rudder shaft in a water tight area is a very interesting idea. Hydraulic steering would make that much easier than the wire to quadrant steering our old boat has. I wonder if any designer/builder has added such a good concept to a production design?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in