"Dove" crew missing - SailNet Community
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

"Dove" crew missing

The U.S. Coast Guard said Saturday morning on Twitter that rescuers were searching for Charlotte Kirby, Nathaniel Davis and Wilfredo Lombardo, who were aboard the 40-foot sailboat named Dove. The boat was last known to be about 20 miles south of Mount Desert Island, where the famed Acadia National Park and seaside hamlet town of Bar Harbor are located.

The Coast Guard said that dispatchers on the mainland received a 911 call at about 3 a.m. from passengers on the boat that warned they were in distress.

“They basically said ‘help’ and ‘we’re on a boat’ before the call cut out,” Coast Guard spokeswoman Petty Officer Nicole Groll told the Portland Press Herald.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/missing-s...massive-search
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Dock
Re: "Dove" crew missing

This is in Maine?

"The air temperature hovered around 34 degrees, with a water temperature of 52 degrees."

Hypothermia calculation ain't great
mbianka likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Good lord. Pray they have an inflatable or a dinghy, food and water.
I pray they are found in good shape.

Richmond, Va
Catalina 25 Swing Keel on a trailer
Sailing the Chesapeake from Deltaville, Va.

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Good news, they were found.

My post count isn’t high enough to post a link.

“BAR HARBOR, MAINE (AP) — The Coast Guard says a sailboat that placed a distress call off the Maine coast has been located.

The Coast Guard ended a three-day search Monday after the 40-foot boat, Dove, was located safe and sound, nearly 100 miles off the New Jersey coast.”
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris271828 View Post
Good news, they were found.

My post count isn’t high enough to post a link.
here you go

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...enters-3rd-day

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
The Following User Says Thank You to bristol299bob For This Useful Post:
Chris271828 (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Well that's good news! But,

"The search began when a woman dialed 911 to make a distress call early Saturday.
The Coast Guard determined the call came from a location 20 miles south of Mount Desert Island. Groll said the Coast Guard wants to interview the crew at its next port of call."

Damn right. Got to be more to this story. Lucky they had Locator device on board. Stupid that they had not renewed the subscription before the started the passage to Florida.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Glad they've been found. A happy ending for once.

Much as I hate to speculate, it sounds like a classic case of something frightening an inexperienced passenger who panicked and made the call. Someone else snatched the cell phone and ended it. My best guess.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew1711 View Post
Glad they've been found. A happy ending for once.

Much as I hate to speculate, it sounds like a classic case of something frightening an inexperienced passenger who panicked and made the call. Someone else snatched the cell phone and ended it. My best guess.
Similar situation that happened during the Perfect Storm.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Similar situation that happened during the Perfect Storm.
This is harsh, but it's my interpretation that the two women aboard S/V Satori, the real-life sailboat depicted in The Perfect Storm, were possibly the "proximate cause" of the loss of one crewman aboard the rescue helicopter and a possible "factor" in the loss of the entire crew of F/V Andrea Gail -- by diverting resources to an unnecessary rescue. The Satori was so robust that, though abandoned by order of the USCG, she went on her way with no one aboard and was recovered later intact. The whole story is here: https://www.westsail.org/satoristorm.

We can't know what happened aboard F/V Andrea Gail. No one lived to tell the story. The movie is pure speculation based on little objective fact. But if the rescue helicopter hadn't ditched due to fuel exhaustion while en-route to her, the story may have ended very differently.

The lesson is: don't let people aboard your vessel issue a spurious distress call. I show my crew and passengers how to use the radio, how the "distress" DSC button works, and how to activate the EPIRB. But I stress, they are not to touch those emergency functions unless I am incapacitated, overboard, or dead. I also stress how a rescue can be more hazardous than hunkering down on board. And that the liferaft is to be used only if they have to step up to get into it. I see the main utility of a liferaft is for rescuing people from another vessel, sent down on a lanyard, where the seastate is too dangerous to lay alongside.

Last edited by patrickbryant; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:20 PM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickbryant View Post
This is harsh, but it's my interpretation that the two women aboard S/V Satori, the real-life sailboat depicted in The Perfect Storm, were possibly the "proximate cause" of the loss of one crewman aboard the rescue helicopter and a possible "factor" in the loss of the entire crew of F/V Andrea Gail -- by diverting resources to an unnecessary rescue. The Satori was so robust that, though abandoned by order of the USCG, she went on her way with no one aboard and was recovered later intact. The whole story is here: https://www.westsail.org/satoristorm.

We can't know what happened aboard F/V Andrea Gail. No one lived to tell the story. The movie is pure speculation based on little objective fact. But if the rescue helicopter hadn't ditched due to fuel exhaustion while en-route to her, the story may have ended very differently.

The lesson is: don't let people aboard your vessel issue a spurious distress call. I show my crew and passengers how to use the radio, how the "distress" DSC button works, and how to activate the EPIRB. But I stress, they are not to touch those emergency functions unless I am incapacitated, overboard, or dead. I also stress how a rescue can be more hazardous than hunkering down on board. And that the liferaft is to be used only if they have to step up to get into it. I see the main utility of a liferaft is for rescuing people from another vessel, sent down on a lanyard, where the seastate is too dangerous to lay alongside.
Many of us know and understand the way that Satori story went.
It is -20/20 hindsight to interpret that as the ladies fault.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in