How do you make a go no go decision if the weather says thunderstorms are possible.
The recent Mobile Bay tragedy demonstrates that thunderstorms can be serious business.
That being said it is a rare day in the north east where the weather report doesn't mention a thunderstorm possibility.
What would be a prudent way to make this decision?
David, I share your concern, but have no answer other than be able to deal with these storms if they hit you. It's been a tough year on the Gulf of Mexico this year. Very different from the previous one. Statistics for a season don't mean much.
Our first return trip from the Bahamas was going great. The weather window was perfect, but there was a chance of thunderstorms in Florida. Go figure, it was June 30, 2013. We had a really great crossing to Lake Worth from Bimini. Well, until we neared the Florida coast. It was black along the coast as far as one could see. Lightning to port, starboard, and dead ahead. We got a big wind shift, but not much else went wrong, although the clouds had the look of,...of, well, the end of the world.
Now, we just get the heck out of the Bahamas in April, and clear of Florida by June. Still, this is no guarantee for our cruising grounds. Study your area, but keep in mind that whatever the forecast, thunderstorms can through a wrench in things.