TS Joaquin - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 88 Old 09-30-2015

Re: TS Joaquin

Was at the boat this morning doing a couple of jobs. I did take the anchor off the bow because of the winds predicted in the next few days, but held off on stripping the sails and dodger. I was shocked at how high the tide was. If we get days of strong easterly winds like is predicted, western Long Island Sound is going to see some severe flooding even if the storm goes ashore south of us.
mbianka likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 88 Old 09-30-2015
Captain Obvious

Yes Jim I noticed the same thing here. Hudson river is extremely high.

I went to check on my boat and the parking lot was partially under as well as some of the ramps to the docks. Also there were some huge brush piles floating down the creek.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #33 of 88 Old 09-30-2015 Thread Starter
Otter

Barnegat bay is the same way.

post #34 of 88 Old 09-30-2015

I'm sitting on the Rhode River, just South of Annapolis. We are here for the SSCA Gam. No getting anywhere better for us. Whatever happens I'll be sitting here in the boat. A real nice hurricane hole. Feeling a bit smug about the great big honking anchor about now, and the brand ne 3/8" G3 chain. I've got the snubber at the cut water so I'll have 10/1 scope at worst.

Still, last night we had wind gusts to 32 knots. That was just a big thunderstorm.

We rode out Irene on the boat and only missed Sandy because we had a very important meeting. But we stayed with the boat as long as we could and put a lot of effort into preps. In a way things are more benign here. At the marina the big worry is the floating docks coming off the pillings. Got close on both Irene and Sandy. That would have made a real mess.
Sal Paradise likes this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #35 of 88 Old 09-30-2015 Thread Starter
Otter

I do the same anytime I'm at anchor. My boat is light. At 24 ft she's about 3500 lbs. I have a makeshift snubber that I set on a section of line with a hitch in it that I attach to the bow eye, then round the bow and to the cleat. It's really shallow here, but a better biting angle is never a bad thing on a sand, mud bottom.
post #36 of 88 Old 09-30-2015

Catherine,
I am in Oriental. If you come thru Oriental (before taking the Minnesott Ferry) you might check the Marine Consignment store for used anchors, chain and rode, they usually have a supply. I stripped my sails and all canvas (Sunbrella) today. Plan to anchor up a creek tomorrow, just in case. I have only been thru Irene, she stalled and the water came in slowly, but went out in a hurry. So make sure you have anchors set to hold for rising water and outgoing water. I tie off to trees, in addition to anchoring (just because there are plenty of them). There are lots of places on both sides of the Neuse to hole up. What you want to do is shelter your boat from open water (long fetch). If you can find a spot around a corner then you will just see water rise and fall and not much in waves. The wind here is usually not too bad, but depends. Removing canvas is a good idea.

Good luck,
Ron
post #37 of 88 Old 09-30-2015

Hmmm,
Don't know what happened to her post, it was here a minute ago?? Oh, well.

Good Luck all,
Ron
post #38 of 88 Old 09-30-2015

Dock
Stuff it! Stuff it!

My bloody boat is moored right in its bloody path.
2 years in a row... Gonzalo last year and this one now. It says winds over 110mph, 100kts when it hits Cape Hateras!

I am going to try to change my flights to get back to the boat on Friday.

Btw I just finished my bicycle ride
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_2015-09-29-17-17-54_1_1443670465800.jpg  
miatapaul, Tempest, CalebD and 3 others like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
oysterman23 (10-01-2015)
post #39 of 88 Old 10-01-2015
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I'm sitting on the Rhode River, just South of Annapolis. We are here for the SSCA Gam. No getting anywhere better for us. Whatever happens I'll be sitting here in the boat. A real nice hurricane hole. Feeling a bit smug about the great big honking anchor about now, and the brand ne 3/8" G3 chain. I've got the snubber at the cut water so I'll have 10/1 scope at worst.

Still, last night we had wind gusts to 32 knots. That was just a big thunderstorm.

We rode out Irene on the boat and only missed Sandy because we had a very important meeting. But we stayed with the boat as long as we could and put a lot of effort into preps. In a way things are more benign here. At the marina the big worry is the floating docks coming off the pillings. Got close on both Irene and Sandy. That would have made a real mess.
IF this thing comes ashore a high cat 2 or higher, I would seriously suggest you do not try and ride it out aboard your boat.
You can't possibly imagine what it would be like and you certainly can not change your mind half way through.
There may be roofs, electric power pole transformers flying through the air, not to mention corrugated tin, and other projectiles that your vessel just won't protect you from.
In the SoPac when the big storms would threaten, we would move as far from human habitation as we could and even secure the booms in the scuppers, to lessen the windage. A gust can put your spreaders in the water or foul it with another vessel if you are at a dock (or rafted up), possibly losing both rigs. We used layers and layers of carpet for chafe gear, and at times even that just wasn't sufficient.
Sometimes, it is another vessel dragging down on you that will put you in the most peril.
It will be pretty much the same as getting in the ring with a professional boxer when all you've ever done was high school wrestling.
Just food for thought.
T37Chef likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #40 of 88 Old 10-01-2015 Thread Starter
Otter

If I was still in and a major threat was imminent, my only option would be to drop anchor in a few select coves that have trees close to the beach. My plan if necessary, is to anchor and spread four breast lines with enough vertical ride so I won't take a major strain, but be able to adjust lines as needed. Since I have a water ballast and a swing centerboard I can get into the shallows . A huge thank you to Skip Novaks sailing techniques for that practical use of shoring in hazardous locations. Thankfully, as a former climber and a friend with a tree service I have about 8 shots of dynamic line at 200 ft minimum beyond what is being used now and another 2 shots stowed below my satee. Again, a last resort but we do have an abundance of great coves here that don't offer a huge swing radius.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in