49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 88 Old 10-01-2015 Thread Starter
Otter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I'm sitting on the Rhode River, just South of Annapolis. We are here for the SSCA Gam. No getting anywhere better for us. Whatever happens I'll be sitting here in the boat. A real nice hurricane hole. Feeling a bit smug about the great big honking anchor about now, and the brand ne 3/8" G3 chain. I've got the snubber at the cut water so I'll have 10/1 scope at worst.

Still, last night we had wind gusts to 32 knots. That was just a big thunderstorm.

We rode out Irene on the boat and only missed Sandy because we had a very important meeting. But we stayed with the boat as long as we could and put a lot of effort into preps. In a way things are more benign here. At the marina the big worry is the floating docks coming off the pillings. Got close on both Irene and Sandy. That would have made a real mess.
IF this thing comes ashore a high cat 2 or higher, I would seriously suggest you do not try and ride it out aboard your boat.
You can't possibly imagine what it would be like and you certainly can not change your mind half way through.
There may be roofs, electric power pole transformers flying through the air, not to mention corrugated tin, and other projectiles that your vessel just won't protect you from.
In the SoPac when the big storms would threaten, we would move as far from human habitation as we could and even secure the booms in the scuppers, to lessen the windage. A gust can put your spreaders in the water or foul it with another vessel if you are at a dock (or rafted up), possibly losing both rigs. We used layers and layers of carpet for chafe gear, and at times even that just wasn't sufficient.
Sometimes, it is another vessel dragging down on you that will put you in the most peril.
It will be pretty much the same as getting in the ring with a professional boxer when all you've ever done was high school wrestling.
Just food for thought.
I've seen first hand what Sandy did at a cat 1 with this same track. If it gets THAT bad my options are leave her in the slip or haul it. If it's just a major surge and wind, I'll go ride with out with the shoring technique mentioned above. While she is my baby, she's just a boat and can be replaced. Im not going to risk my life or the lives of others to try and save her and I hope others follow my mentality. I stayed too long on the barrier island trying to defend my home and taking my time and I came damn close to being in a seriously bad situation. Luckily my F350 had 36 inch tires on it because even with that I ended up driving through water that even below my door was pushing me sideways. When that happened the mandatory evacuation hadn't even taken effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 88 Old 10-01-2015

Re: TS Joaquin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Stuff it! Stuff it!

My bloody boat is moored right in its bloody path.
2 years in a row... Gonzalo last year and this one now. It says winds over 110mph, 100kts when it hits Cape Hateras!

I am going to try to change my flights to get back to the boat on Friday.

Btw I just finished my bicycle ride
Bloody el! Hope this is not going to be an annual event for you. Up here in the New York/LI area I'm just waiting to see if they will be issuing gale warnings for the next few days. Wishing you the best Mark, Stay safe.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 88 Old 10-01-2015
1987 Pearson 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRon47 View Post
Catherine,
I am in Oriental. If you come thru Oriental (before taking the Minnesott Ferry) you might check the Marine Consignment store for used anchors, chain and rode, they usually have a supply. I stripped my sails and all canvas (Sunbrella) today. Plan to anchor up a creek tomorrow, just in case. I have only been thru Irene, she stalled and the water came in slowly, but went out in a hurry. So make sure you have anchors set to hold for rising water and outgoing water. I tie off to trees, in addition to anchoring (just because there are plenty of them). There are lots of places on both sides of the Neuse to hole up. What you want to do is shelter your boat from open water (long fetch). If you can find a spot around a corner then you will just see water rise and fall and not much in waves. The wind here is usually not too bad, but depends. Removing canvas is a good idea.

Good luck,
Ron
Hi Ron,
We have our Pearson 27 in Greens Creek at a pier. After losing our mooring during Irene and 12K of damage, i am reluctant to leave her in this time. I know it's too early to really know but i think our plan is to give Allen a call at Sailcraft and go ahead and haul her out. I thought about taking her up in "PeanutButter & Jelly Cove" but the idea of leaving her in scares the bejeezus out of me. Will be making a final decision in the morning and already have a call in to Sailcraft.
Good luck,
Joel

post #44 of 88 Old 10-01-2015
Captain Obvious

FWIW, this wind model has been decently accurate. Yesterday it was showing Joaquin heading inland around Hatteras. Today is shows it going offshore.

https://www.windyty.com/#?42.618,-74.004,4

The ECMF shows the same thing.

This morning the weather channel "meteorologists" were baffled by this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 10-01-2015 at 09:22 AM.
post #45 of 88 Old 10-01-2015

The storm path as of this AM is still a CRAPSHOOT

AND http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1...daynl#contents
post #46 of 88 Old 10-01-2015
Call me Ishmael

Quote:
Stuff it! Stuff it!

My bloody boat is moored right in its bloody path.
2 years in a row... Gonzalo last year and this one now. It says winds over 110mph, 100kts when it hits Cape Hateras!

I am going to try to change my flights to get back to the boat on Friday.

Btw I just finished my bicycle ride
Where's your boat Mark? I am headed to NC tomorrow (I'll be in New Bern which is within an hour of Beaufort and Oriental). If there is anything I can do, email me.

Matt

Come not here if you have already spent the best of yourself
post #47 of 88 Old 10-01-2015

Dock
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinstink View Post

Where's your boat Mark? I am headed to NC tomorrow (I'll be in New Bern which is within an hour of Beaufort and Oriental). If there is anything I can do, email me.

Matt
Hi Matt,

Its near New Bern. I've kept the locality quiet for security.
I will fly back Saturday if it comes too close.
So we can do a stormy beer

Mark
post #48 of 88 Old 10-01-2015
Call me Ishmael

Quote:
Hi Matt,

Its near New Bern. I've kept the locality quiet for security.
I will fly back Saturday if it comes too close.
So we can do a stormy beer

Mark
Sounds great. There is a fantastic seafood joint in NB -- great food and (wait) $2 beers Always looking for an excuse to head there. Let me know.

Come not here if you have already spent the best of yourself
post #49 of 88 Old 10-01-2015

Dock
Levi Cowan has the best explained videos.
This one is from last night. He does one per day during an event.
Also check out his auto updated current storm page. Far better than NHC

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/
miatapaul and blowinstink like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (10-01-2015), JimMcGee (10-01-2015)
post #50 of 88 Old 10-01-2015

This is one of those storms where the forecasts are really bouncing around.

High tide on Forked River Barnegat Bay is around 3:00 tomorrow. I'll take a run down and see how high it's running. By then the models will be showing some consensus and I'll make the call on hauling vs stripping canvas etc. As Otter said a decision to haul is a decision to end the season. For various reasons I haven't had much time on the water this year and I'd like to stretch it out a few more weeks.

Today about all I can do is clean out the gutters and pull out the extra dock lines and fenders so they're handy if I need them.
Sal Paradise likes this.

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in