TS Joaquin - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 88 Old 10-01-2015

Re: TS Joaquin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Levi Cowan has the best explained videos.
This one is from last night. He does one per day during an event.
Also check out his auto updated current storm page. Far better than NHC

Tropical Tidbits
Mark, thanks for posting this link. Now the differences in models make sense.

The local news geeks don't convey half the information in twice the air time.

Jim

Currently Boatless

“The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 88 Old 10-01-2015
Captain Obvious

EPWA - Joaquin's Going Out to Sea

This blogger I have been following for about 2 years. Usually he is very accurate and he does not follow the "group think" of the weather channel, etc gang.

Eastern PA Weather Authority: Joaquin's going out to sea | lehighvalleylive.com

One thing you can count on with the Eastern PA Weather Authority.

While the rest of the weather forecasting world is being conservative, Bobby Martrich and his crew will turn aggressive.

ECMWF = BOSS. Absolutely stunning that virtually every model may have had #Joaquin track wrong except for the Euro. #king #recrowned
— EPAWx Authority (@epawawx) October 1, 2015
There's a 75 percent chance Hurricane Joaquin will turn to the east and not hit the East Coast, Martrich said Thursday morning from Allentown after studying the latest run of the European model.

The model has a very good history in the tropics, he said.

"It was pretty much on its own," Martrich said. "Now we see things trending toward European model. ... That has been the best model for years."

Basically, Joaquin intensified too quickly and overtook the remnants of tropical storm Ida to its northeast, opening a hole for Joaquin to go east and out to sea, Martrich said.

That doesn't mean it won't impact the region as it goes by, Martrich said. Rip currents and winds up to 60 mph are likely along the Jersey coast. And there already was rain in the forecast.

But the likelihood of widespread destruction is limited.

"It's a lot better than 24 hours ago," he said.

Comment: It seems to me the longer it heads south and west and delays the turn North, its more time for the trough to push east and the inevitable track shifts eastward. Also there doesn't seem to be a blocking high over Bermuda anymore, so thats another factor shifting it offshore.
Joel73 and mbianka like this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 10-01-2015 at 12:21 PM.
post #53 of 88 Old 10-01-2015

The closer we get to land fall the more the models will start to agree.

I just checked the BoatUS Hurricane tracking site and it's moved the storm's track quite a bit to the east since this morning.

Instead of making landfall at the mouth of the Chesapeake, they have it coming ashore on the eastern tip of Long Island.

Now I'm going to try and not look at the forecasts anymore until tomorrow
Joel73 likes this.

Currently Boatless

“The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau

post #54 of 88 Old 10-01-2015
1987 Pearson 27

Re: EPWA - Joaquin's Going Out to Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
This blogger I have been following for about 2 years. Usually he is very accurate and he does not follow the "group think" of the weather channel, etc gang.

While the rest of the weather forecasting world is being conservative, Bobby Martrich and his crew will turn aggressive.

ECMWF = BOSS. Absolutely stunning that virtually every model may have had #Joaquin track wrong except for the Euro. #king #recrowned
There's a 75 percent chance Hurricane Joaquin will turn to the east and not hit the East Coast, Martrich said Thursday morning from Allentown after studying the latest run of the European model.

"It was pretty much on its own," Martrich said. "Now we see things trending toward European model. ... That has been the best model for years."

Basically, Joaquin intensified too quickly and overtook the remnants of tropical storm Ida to its northeast, opening a hole for Joaquin to go east and out to sea, Martrich said.

That doesn't mean it won't impact the region as it goes by, Martrich said. Rip currents and winds up to 60 mph are likely along the Jersey coast. And there already was rain in the forecast.

Comment: It seems to me the longer it heads south and west and delays the turn North, its more time for the trough to push east and the inevitable track shifts eastward. Also there doesn't seem to be a blocking high over Bermuda anymore, so thats another factor shifting it offshore.
This looks promising but too early to know for sure of course. I'm faced with the decision of holing up in Oriental, NC with some oversized Danforths rated for a 50 footer (we have a Pearson 27) or docking at a different location as the boatyard where i would usually go is FULL. Decisions decisions... time to make a plan A & B.
post #55 of 88 Old 10-01-2015

Re: EPWA - Joaquin's Going Out to Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post

Well I do like this analysis. I don't like that the latest NOAA cone has it tracking right over my boat on Long Island. Hoping to see that keep shifting east in later runs. Already had to make a detour yesterday to get to the boat yard because of coastal flooding from our current weather system here: THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: HURRICANE JOAQUIN

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #56 of 88 Old 10-01-2015
Learning the HARD way...

I don't like the current updates either... Now this thing is heading right across Long Island, and right at Narragansett Bay!

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #57 of 88 Old 10-01-2015

Dock
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post

I don't like that the latest NOAA cone has it tracking right over my boat on Long Island.
"Right over"? Perfect place to be! The eye of the hurricane, gentle breeze, maybe no clouds, no rain.... Bliss!

post #58 of 88 Old 10-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
"Right over"? Perfect place to be! The eye of the hurricane, gentle breeze, maybe no clouds, no rain.... Bliss!

LOL! Just got this email from the Town Government:

"Dear Mooring Holder,

The National Weather Service is forecasting heavy rains, high winds and coastal flooding over the next several days, with the possibility of Tropical Storm Joaquin making landfall in the area early next week.

Because of this, we strongly recommend that all boat owners take necessary precautions to secure their vessels or remove them from the harbor in advance of this severe weather.
"

Going to tell them Mark of Sea Life says "No worries."

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

post #59 of 88 Old 10-01-2015
Daniel - Norsea 27

The predictions could end up wrong anyway... I think I'll vote for "Hurricane Screw-It-Let's-Just-Trash-Florida-Again"

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #60 of 88 Old 10-01-2015

Dock
Now a Category 4!!

And the airline won't let me change flights till the airport is "listed". What? Listed for sale???

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in