TS Joaquin - SailNet Community
 49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 88 Old 09-29-2015 Thread Starter
Otter

TS Joaquin

Im here in NJ and based in Island Heights on the Toms River. As luck would have it I'm going to a wedding in the Hamptons this weekend but leaving tomorrow afternoon. Currently looking like it may fall from Cape May to Atlantic Highlands if my predictions are correct. Either way, the only day to hunker the boat down is tomorrow morning . I'm torn between going overkill and going under kill since I won't be in the area to make changes. I'm going to add lines and fenders and remove both sails. Whats everyone else doing ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 Old 09-29-2015

Re: TS Joaquin

I'm definitely keeping an eye on it here on Long Island. NOAA is so far making it sound like mainly a rain event. But, I something to keep an eye on in case I need to strip the sail off.

Mike
Currently: Spring Outfitting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to mbianka For This Useful Post:
oysterman23 (09-30-2015)
post #3 of 88 Old 09-29-2015 Thread Starter
Otter

Yeah. They are saying that it's going to impact Annapolis as of now. All I know is I said Sandy was going to hit our area and no one believed me. Then the day before my clients were ringing my phone off the hook trying to find a place to haul. Yeah, it's only a TS, but I'm going to be up in the Hamptons, so that means however I tie it up is how it's gonna be. I'm sure the marina will adjust lines of need be but I'm not relying on it. Some people are hauling out because they live out of state so their boat is a vacation home but at this point the owner said if you're going on the hard, you're staying there for the rest of the season. I sail as long as possible.

post #4 of 88 Old 09-29-2015
Master Mariner

Before anyone gets too complacent and pays too much attention to the NWS/NHC and their prognostications, take a moment to ask Mark of Sea Life just what a forecast minor tropical depression can become in just an hour or so.
The one truly predictable thing about tropical cyclones is their unpredictability.
RichH, JimMcGee, MedSailor and 1 others like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #5 of 88 Old 09-29-2015 Thread Starter
Otter

Exactly. I learned that a low category storm can devastate my area. A few models show a few spaghetti models with one taking a late Sandy like hook back to the same area, while a few others show it headed back east. Things can change within hours as stated before. I guess all I can do is take a gamble on the best method to keep her safe. If not, my insurance is up to date.
post #6 of 88 Old 09-29-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Before anyone gets too complacent and pays too much attention to the NWS/NHC and their prognostications, take a moment to ask Mark of Sea Life just what a forecast minor tropical depression can become in just an hour or so.
The one truly predictable thing about tropical cyclones is their unpredictability.
I can agree with that. Was coming down the NE coast when "irene" popped up and was predicted to direct hit on Cape Cod. Being prudent I exited the Cape Cod area and headed for NYC only to get directly run-over by Irene with a 13-14ft. surge to add to the 'fun'.
In any large storm along the NE coast, Id add that one should never blindly run to known 'ports and anchorages' .... I got kicked out of (forced to leave) two North Shore of Long Island harbors when running from Irene, so much for New York 'hospitality'.
post #7 of 88 Old 09-29-2015 Thread Starter
Otter

My marina just called and said if I want to be on the haul list, I need to let them know by tomorrow morning or else that can't guarantee a haul. Oh well. She's staying wet then. I don't have spring lines on my boat. She's 24 foot so I'll add some springs around the winches, throw some fenders and balls over the side. Only have one neighbor to the starboard. I'll stagger the masts as well.
post #8 of 88 Old 09-29-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingOtter View Post
Im here in NJ and based in Island Heights on the Toms River. As luck would have it I'm going to a wedding in the Hamptons this weekend but leaving tomorrow afternoon. Currently looking like it may fall from Cape May to Atlantic Highlands if my predictions are correct. Either way, the only day to hunker the boat down is tomorrow morning . I'm torn between going overkill and going under kill since I won't be in the area to make changes. I'm going to add lines and fenders and remove both sails. Whats everyone else doing ?
Looks like you should be able to make it back to New Jersey before Joaquin hits the area. If it hits. Latest I saw had it off Hatteras on Sunday. I would not stay too long in the Hamptons though. Gonna be very wet for the next couple of days out there anyway. Bring your rain gear.

Mike
Currently: Spring Outfitting

post #9 of 88 Old 09-29-2015
Learning the HARD way...

latest spaghetti is ALL over the map;

I'm no expert, but I find it hard to believe that it will pull that sudden 120+º (from 240º to 000º) hook to starboard.

[EDIT] NOTE that these images update automagically! Therefore, the 120º turn which I am so skeptical of (and which is still there as I type on 9-30-2015 at 09:30) will probably not be visible as the models are updated.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 09-30-2015 at 09:30 AM.
post #10 of 88 Old 09-29-2015
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

WTF?? We can't do anything with that.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in