55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 103 Old 10-03-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
re: Hurricane Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip68 View Post
It looks like I dodged another event in Charleston. I'll be in Atlanta for this one. Prayers and good thoughts to those in the path!

-CLiP
It's early yet.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 103 Old 10-03-2016

The way the cold fronts are pushing through here lately, I'm guessin that Mathew will be pushed farther east than predicted, but what the Hell do I know.

Gary
post #23 of 103 Old 10-03-2016

The thing I keep reading over and over is that the High in the Atlantic and Low over the States is making the ultimate path of this storm very hard to predict. This storm is still closer to South America than the Florida Keys. I'm no meteorologist, but I've been around long enough to understand it could do almost anything on the East Coast. Hoping for the best. By this weekend, I may need to prepare for the worst.
Sal Paradise likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #24 of 103 Old 10-03-2016

Just bought my first sailboat this weekend, a very well cared for 1966 Soverel 28. We will be keeping the boat in Southport, NC and the tracks aren't looking great for the area right now!

Headed back down Wednesday to get the boat all prepped and ready for the storm.
post #25 of 103 Old 10-03-2016

I'm already in a fairly sheltered marina, so when the hurricanes hit, I usually just lengthen and double up the lines - that's it!

Believe it or not, there's an entire marina beneath all that brown water.

And there is a swimming pool and bath house to the left that is completely submerged.

Gary
baywater likes this.
post #26 of 103 Old 10-03-2016
Captain Obvious

This is what worries me - the low pressure centered on NY with high pressure to the east and west. This is next Saturday. Blue is low pressure. It seems to me the door is open. On the other hand, I think the GFS has the speed of Matthew wrong. Its moving slower than this model shows. But if the timing is just right this thing could go right up the Hudson.

Great analysis here -

Tropical Tidbits

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #27 of 103 Old 10-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by pckelly44 View Post
Just bought my first sailboat this weekend, a very well cared for 1966 Soverel 28. We will be keeping the boat in Southport, NC and the tracks aren't looking great for the area right now!

Headed back down Wednesday to get the boat all prepped and ready for the storm.
I hope you bought insurance - at least liability. If not, it may be too late.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #28 of 103 Old 10-03-2016

Too early to tell what might happen here on the Chesapeake but it's enough of a concern that I'm making contingency plans for the coming weekend to rearrange the schedule (it was supposed to be a non-boating weekend) in case I need to go prep the boat. The updated cone from 11 AM today has it pulling more westerly toward the US east coast than previously. As usual with these things, wait and see and hope for the best for everybody out there.
post #29 of 103 Old 10-03-2016
1987 Pearson 27

We've just scheduled our haul-out for Wednesday afternoon. It's too early to tell what Matthew will do in regards to NC and after Isabel and Irene, we're not taking any chances. Hoping for the best and preparing for the worst.

Quote:
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." - Albert Einstein

post #30 of 103 Old 10-03-2016
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Remember that the cone is just the likely error in the prediction of the center of the hurricane. The footprint of significant impact for a big hurricane is much larger.
And the ones that path inland will do the delayed flooding that carries on well after the storm and surge. Even a moderate Hurricane will do massive damage and we are already soaked so bad you can't even cut the grass from the last deluge. Passing oceanside and moving fast is our best chance.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in