Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Callao, VA
Thanked 35 Times in 34 Posts
Rep Power: 14
Re: More anchors needed for hurricane approach?
you would be better served in preparing to have her hauled or pulled up in to a creek, wide enough and stake her out to either side of the creek, the indian and banana river are both pretty rough in what could be rough weather coming. Wind is forecast, you should be prepared for it to shift around, and you will likely see strong winds from the east as the storm moves in/through and out of your area.
6' is not much draft, given the forecast. She may bottom out or lean.
Other boats are always a concern, and you are wise to consider them, as any or all of them can become a wad blowing down on your boat. It is unlikely that your mooring will handle the added load - should those other boats come down.
I would remove anything that can be blown, or provide windage. That means that all sails, biminis, frames, cans, gear and the like are removed from the boat. You need to be able to look back at the boat later today and know that you have removed anything of value, see nothing but hull, mast and bow, and are prepared to head inland. This will be your last chance to change anything on the boat, until well after the storm passes. Don't expect to go back to the boat or expect any one else to go to the boat on your behalf.
Double up or triple all of your lines to the mooring, giving each set a bit more length than the previous. One or more WILL fail. Given that you can not extend the rode, or easily alter the depth...I would be looking hard at having her pulled or tethered up the creek. I always have done a line of last resort, woven around the mast and the stern and back to the mooring of the strongest line you have.
This is not the storm to be trying out or testing.
Last edited by kd3pc; 10-04-2016 at 08:12 AM.