More anchors needed for hurricane approach? - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 10-04-2016 Thread Starter
cdy

More anchors needed for hurricane approach?

Looks like things could get ugly Cocoa Beach area in next 3 days - I have a Pearson 26 on a homemade mooring - on the intracoastal ( Indian River) - a couple of 30lb danforths with 50 feet of 1/2 inch chain in combination of mud sand which offers very good holding - in about 6 feet of water - I have another large danforth I can deploy - coming off the same swivel as the other two -but the question is I have a couple of smaller danforths I could also set on separate rode - but my concern is - other boats , the more different rodes I have out at different angles increasing my chances of a boat dragging into them and then dragging me.
The anchorage has about 15 boats - half in good shape - the other half - bordering on being junk/abandoned. Better to deploy the smaller danforths - or rely on the single rode?

I have a lot more rope rode I could let out but just not enough swinging room, no where to move boat to - no hurricane holes nearby that I am aware of - I am pretty protected form every direction except east to southeast- right now the call is for the winds to be from the Northeast to northwest - which I am well protected form by a bridge and a causeway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-04-2016

Re: More anchors needed for hurricane approach?

I would concentrate on the rode. One or two? Diameter? Chafe gear?

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #3 of 17 Old 10-04-2016

you would be better served in preparing to have her hauled or pulled up in to a creek, wide enough and stake her out to either side of the creek, the indian and banana river are both pretty rough in what could be rough weather coming. Wind is forecast, you should be prepared for it to shift around, and you will likely see strong winds from the east as the storm moves in/through and out of your area.

6' is not much draft, given the forecast. She may bottom out or lean.

Other boats are always a concern, and you are wise to consider them, as any or all of them can become a wad blowing down on your boat. It is unlikely that your mooring will handle the added load - should those other boats come down.

I would remove anything that can be blown, or provide windage. That means that all sails, biminis, frames, cans, gear and the like are removed from the boat. You need to be able to look back at the boat later today and know that you have removed anything of value, see nothing but hull, mast and bow, and are prepared to head inland. This will be your last chance to change anything on the boat, until well after the storm passes. Don't expect to go back to the boat or expect any one else to go to the boat on your behalf.

Double up or triple all of your lines to the mooring, giving each set a bit more length than the previous. One or more WILL fail. Given that you can not extend the rode, or easily alter the depth...I would be looking hard at having her pulled or tethered up the creek. I always have done a line of last resort, woven around the mast and the stern and back to the mooring of the strongest line you have.

This is not the storm to be trying out or testing.
bigdogandy likes this.

Last edited by kd3pc; 10-04-2016 at 08:12 AM.

post #4 of 17 Old 10-04-2016 Thread Starter
cdy

There are no creeks or hurricane holes that the boat can get to in a day's time - I have been through hurricanes before on a boat - in a marina - in North Florida - its a bit of a crapshoot - you can do everything right but if the boat next to do you doesn't you can be screwed - the sailing club where I was a member - we saved most of the boats in the slips but lost the docks - the water rose and wave action pop up all the docks - the pilings stayed though so the boats stayed put. I did notice that about 1/3 to 1/2 of the boat owners did nothing - not even dropping the bimini, I think they were thinking they had insurance and it was a way of getting some money out of the boat if the worst happened - I don't have comprehensive on my boat - but I bought it for so little - really makes no sense. I will strip the boat of just about everything -

I will have 3 oversizd danforths on 30 feet of 1/2 inch chain coming up to a swivel - another 15 feet of chain from there to the anchor rode - I have 2 rodes coming from there in case one would chafe through - I have chafing guard on both rodes.

If we get brushed by the hurricane - I think I will be fine - my concern is the other boats - if we get hit full force - not much one can do - hopefully the storm will stay offshore which will give us winds from the northeast switching to the northwest - which I am well protected from - but its not the wind - its the wave action - I am in the lee of the causeway which I am anchored about 150 yards from - protects me from the north and west -there is a marina on the other side of the causeway - no protection from the Northeast or North - would rather be where I am on a mooring than in a slip on the other side if that is the direction of the wind.

I have a 9.9 Suzuki 4 stroke on the back( not new but in good shape) - might try to wrestle it off, my dingy my be too small to drop it into - if it looks like we will take a big hit - best to get it off - probably worth about 1/2 of what I paid for the boat
post #5 of 17 Old 10-04-2016

Yes, I would try to get the motor out of the boat. If you have some empty plastic jerrycans or other large containers that float, I would tie them down inside your cabin and cockpit so that boat will have more buoyancy if it gets flooded.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #6 of 17 Old 10-04-2016

it seems the best system is to have a tandem anchor deployed from the bow...one main anchor with chain not rope which is then connected to another half way on the rode to the boat...of equal weight to the main anchor ...so two anchors on the one main chain given your situation....but if there is opportunity to attach lines to land maybe i would secure in that way and put fenders all round the boat in case a boat breaks the mooring...

Last edited by viced; 10-04-2016 at 12:02 PM.
post #7 of 17 Old 10-04-2016

The power of "Mother Nature"... you can not adequately prepare for all potentialities.

I'd avoid creating a spiderweb of lines that can catch other boats and debris as it gets swept by your decently anchored boat. the more it catches in the web, the more likely it is to break your mooring line.

Stuffing a lot of containers into the cabin to keep it floating if it gets holed is not a terrible idea. Pulling the outboard and storing it in your garage at home also a good plan. Take the dingy home and stake it down upside down away from trees (I figure the cars will be in the garage)

Hopefully the storm is a lot of hype and no damage....
post #8 of 17 Old 10-04-2016

No opportunity to haul up at Canaveral? Looks like Cocoa will take a beating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 17 Old 10-04-2016

BoatsRus is paying 50% of the cost to haul out your boat because it's a named storm.
post #10 of 17 Old 10-06-2016
snake charmer, cat herder

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

best of luck. in this beast i give hauled boats same chance as those in water.best of luck and may the gods be favorable to ye. this is gonnabe a real busy few days for everyone on east coast, some more than others.
best of luck.
it is to late to change venues now.
hunker and pray to aliens, sky, books whatever ye pray to... if possible--find altitude and a good cane party and participate, making many toasts to the gods of weather. mebbe ye can make em drunk enough to change course away from land....
crossing fingers for ye all out in east coast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in