Short Report from Singer Island, FL - SailNet Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-12-2017 Thread Starter
Freedom Chip Counter

Short Report from Singer Island, FL

Singer Island is about 45 miles North of Ft Lauderdale.

Highest wind gust reported was 91mph in our area. I think this may be a bit conservative as 10 miles North reported 113mph.

Storm surge appeared to be 3 to 4 feet above high tide.

Canvas that was left in place on all boats in the vicinity was shredded. Can’t imagine why anyone would have left a scrap of canvas up?

(2) sailboats and (1) power boat sank at their mooring after getting hit by wayward vessels or other floating objects.

Approximately 70% of the boats that were moored or anchored either dragged anchor or chafed through the lines. Unfortunately, these ended up doing a lot of damage to the adjacent marinas, private docks, beaches and other “innocent” vessels that were in the marinas.

One couple had to be rescued off their sailboat at anchor in the ICW....of course this was a bit of a media frenzy which did not bode well for other live-a-boards. Note, their mainsail was under cover lashed to their boom....oye.

(4) out of (10) of my 5/8” dock / spring lines chafed through. The upper swivel on my furling was clove hitched to my bow pulpit with 3/8” line. It chafed through at the pulpit tube even though it was a round smooth surface.

All fenders on the windward side were neatly flipped up onto the deck.

Miraculously there was no damage. All cleats and fairleads held fast….amazing for a 1969 Pearson.

Have to say I was grinning from ear to ear when I saw her still in her berth, waiting to sail another day.

Tartan 31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-12-2017

Re: Short Report from Singer Island, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post
(4) out of (10) of my 5/8” dock / spring lines chafed through. The upper swivel on my furling was clove hitched to my bow pulpit with 3/8” line. It chafed through at the pulpit tube even though it was a round smooth surface.
wow!!!
scubadoo likes this.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #3 of 11 Old 09-13-2017

Wow...sounds like you were prepared. Was your boat in a canal or in a marina?
scubadoo likes this.

Ryan
1986 Starwind 19, Mango

post #4 of 11 Old 09-13-2017 Thread Starter
Freedom Chip Counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarwindMango View Post
Wow...sounds like you were prepared. Was your boat in a canal or in a marina?
Thank you...as prepared as I could be...blessed that we didn't see Cat 4.

I was in a marina on the leeward side of the barrier island. Having the island and condos to re-direct some of the wind definitely helped.

All dock lines were tied directly to the pylons...not to the available cleats on the dock. Note (2) of the 4 lines that chafed through had commercial chafe protection and snubbers on them.

I was lucky, very lucky. A friend of mine moved his sailboat from his marina (located on the West side of the ICW) out into the ICW (not in the channel) for fear of other boats dragging anchor and piling up in his marina. His fear was realized as his marina made the news Monday morning with several derelict and party boats converging on the docks and doing extensive damage to the marina. He used heavy chains leading to two knock-off Rocna anchors at roughly 10:1 scope. His boat didn't move from what I could tell. However, he was hit by one of the party boats (derelict house boats) right on the deck to hull joint and had a new 16" x 4" portal to show for it.
StarwindMango likes this.

Tartan 31
post #5 of 11 Old 09-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post
Miraculously there was no damage. All cleats and fairleads held fast….amazing for a 1969 Pearson.

Have to say I was grinning from ear to ear when I saw her still in her berth, waiting to sail another day.
Maybe fortunate it was a Pearson that it held up so well.

Glad you faired so well.
scubadoo likes this.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-13-2017
cdy

My Pearson 26 survived on a homemade mooring in Cocoa - 2 of the 3 anchor rodes chafed through but the 3rd held - the boat has a little damage on the side - from a wayward dock - the marina/slips next to me , behind a large condo building were destroyed - now the anchorage is littered with the leftovers, there are several boats sunk also - missing their masts - so not exactly sure where they are, hopefully when the water goes down some will be able to see tops.
scubadoo likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-14-2017

Scubadoo sounds like you were quite lucky. Do you have any before/after pictures? It's always interesting to me to see how people prepare for these kinds of storms. Kind of like a "lessons learned"

Ryan
1986 Starwind 19, Mango
post #8 of 11 Old 09-14-2017
cdy

I am amazed about how many people did nothing - bimini's still up , sails still on roller furler, mainsail and cover still on , dock lines not doubled up , no chafing gear, we had a weeks notice on the storms approach - I guess they figured if damaged -insurance would take care of it.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-14-2017
HANUMAN

Great report, thanks for the update. It's always interesting to see what works and what doesn't, even if in some cases it's pure luck or pure stupidity.

I'm sure that some of those fools figured it was time for new canvas, a new boat, or are getting out of sailing altogether so why not let someone else pay for it.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #10 of 11 Old 09-14-2017 Thread Starter
Freedom Chip Counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarwindMango View Post
Do you have any before/after pictures? It's always interesting to me to see how people prepare for these kinds of storms. Kind of like a "lessons learned"
Yes...quite a few...have to figure out how to get them into this post without using those tiny thumbnails!
StarwindMango likes this.

Tartan 31

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in