F is for Florence - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 78 Old 09-14-2018

Dock
Re: F is for Florence

My boat is anchored on Broad Creek just north of Oriental NC. Anyone with recent knowledge of the area, please post. I will do the same. No power and very limited communications in the area. I am inland now.

Paul
1984 Catalina 36 Tall Rig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 09-14-2018

Grand Marina, New Bern

Limited damages there, it appears. Bridge Point just across the river, though, looks devastated.

No news about Broad Creek, I'm afraid, Solar54.
post #63 of 78 Old 09-14-2018

Dock

Iíve seen footage of New Bern. Looks very bad. Iím about a half hour drive away. Glad to not be at a dock.

Paul
1984 Catalina 36 Tall Rig

post #64 of 78 Old 09-15-2018

Who knew it was going to black out FIOS in Florida and potentially a good part of the rest of the USA from just after Midnight until a few minutes ago. Collateral damage to business from that can be huge too. A somewhat localized event is no longer local when it can cause data and network blackouts across the entire country. One has to wonder why they waited so long to put in a static IP re-routing traffic around their facilities in that area when they had so much lead time.

Hopefully the people who live in that area took better note of the warnings and mandatory evacs then FIOS did. Hearts out to the families of the 7 who died.

Thankfully it was not the Cat4/5 storm initially feared.

Last edited by SeaStar58; 09-15-2018 at 08:36 AM.
post #65 of 78 Old 09-16-2018

Solar54,
Iíve heard from 2 sources that River Dunes faired well. Hopefully that will extend to you.

Best of luck.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #66 of 78 Old 09-20-2018
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Me, Iím not going down the NJ coast till thereís a good forecast that has been consistent for 3 days.
So it was consistent for 4 days and was suppose be a NE wind for a nice broad reach. Instead it was ESE for a not as nice close reach plus all night with the waves on the beam the whole time.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised, not the first time I left on an overnight to find out the weather experts don't know their North from South

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #67 of 78 Old 09-20-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar54 View Post
My boat is anchored on Broad Creek just north of Oriental NC. Anyone with recent knowledge of the area, please post. I will do the same. No power and very limited communications in the area. I am inland now.
Drone video of my marina in Whortonsville, just off of broad creek: https://youtu.be/0L4ZHmYvbgY

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
post #68 of 78 Old 09-20-2018

Cool, I passed this to some friends with a boat in River Dunes.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #69 of 78 Old 10-15-2018

Wow, I've been watching the news coverage of the damage from Hurricane Michael and the interviews with some people who chose not to abide by the evacuation order. Do these people not watch the news? Every single hurricane there are people interviewed who are crying about how they lost loved ones, and there are people telling harrowing stories of survival. Many say that it was worse than they expected and that they should have evacuated. Then there are the people who survive, but find out that life with WEEKS of no electricity or running water, and WEEKs without being able to flush your toilet, is very hard. Then they are sitting on their roof crying about how long it's taking for rescuers to get to them.

Every single hurricane there seems to be a fresh batch. Some seem to think that praying to God was going to save their house. The governor of Florida warned everybody that Hurricane Michael was expected to be worse than any previous one in most people's lifetimes. What kind of fantasies and magical thinking causes these fools to stay behind? And some of them are old enough to have seen this scenario reported in the news many many times in the past.
post #70 of 78 Old 10-15-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
Wow, I've been watching the news coverage of the damage from Hurricane Michael and the interviews with some people who chose not to abide by the evacuation order. Do these people not watch the news? Every single hurricane there are people interviewed who are crying about how they lost loved ones, and there are people telling harrowing stories of survival. Many say that it was worse than they expected and that they should have evacuated. Then there are the people who survive, but find out that life with WEEKS of no electricity or running water, and WEEKs without being able to flush your toilet, is very hard. Then they are sitting on their roof crying about how long it's taking for rescuers to get to them.

Every single hurricane there seems to be a fresh batch. Some seem to think that praying to God was going to save their house. The governor of Florida warned everybody that Hurricane Michael was expected to be worse than any previous one in most people's lifetimes. What kind of fantasies and magical thinking causes these fools to stay behind? And some of them are old enough to have seen this scenario reported in the news many many times in the past.
While I agree with much of what you said, I think sitting in judgement from your safe perch in Colorado where I think you live needs a little tempering and maybe a modicum of feeling for those who have lost family / friends/ and homes.

I was able a number of years ago to go for a week to support the Red Cross in Gulfport , Mississippi days after Katrina raked the area. Nothing ever could prepare me for what I saw physically or felt emotionally from the experience. In fact psychologist prepared us all what we would face and also counseled us after the week .

First fact. Many people did not have the means necessary to leave. Meaning vehicles, funding, or even any government assistance. Some in nursing homes, Or even the elderly could not physically be moved. There is no organized response in many areas to get people out of the danger zone like there is after the disaster happens.

Second fact. Iím sure your armchairing suggestion has no personal experience. It is not an eŠsy decision to just leave all your belongs to the looters.

Third fact. Too many people crying wolf over threatening emergencies make many people numb to heeding them.

Fourth. Very few have ever really seen first hand the true power of water and wind, just seen it through a camera lens which in no way gives it justice. Itís like describing what chocolate ice cream tastes like.
If people ever experienced what could happen they would try harder to get out of the way. Nothing prepared me for my first night there. The scope of the destruction surrounding me. Seeing fishing trawlers 6 miles inland sitting in trees was surreal. Devastating of everything standing all around you. Every every tree snapped in half. And the survivors walking around with a certain stare in their eyes . The fear 5hey must have felt involved in it. The releif of surviving it. The guilty feeling having surviving when others los5 lives. Destruction of EVERYTHING they owned. Destruction of family heirlooms and generational properties. The loss of pets....it goes on and on.

I am not one to criticize the survivors when we all should lift a hand to help them out. There by the grace of god go I.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in