F is for Florence - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 78 Old 10-15-2018

Re: F is for Florence

Well said

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 78 Old 10-15-2018

There is a LOT that goes into the calculus of "do I stay, or do I go?"

I live in Marathon 50 miles north of Key West. The eye wall of Irma went down our street. That's not hyperbole, it literally went down our street.

I wasn't here for the storm. I was able to get in about 10 days after. The destruction really is beyond description, and all the news video in the world doesn't capture it.

I've talked to a lot of folks since the storm. One woman who stayed said to me "I have three big dogs and two birds, where would I go? What hotel would take me?". And it's not always clear whether pets will be allowed into shelters. You'd have to be a truly cruel person to leave an animal behind to fend for itself.

As Chef said when all your worldly possessions are in that house, how do you simply drive away?

A lot of people gauge the decision on the wind strength of the storm. "A Cat 1 or 2 I'll stay, a Cat 3 or more I'm out of here". But Michael spooled up so fast that logic trapped people. What they thought was going to be an uncomfortable night riding out a Cat 2 turned out to be a life threatening Cat 5 so fast the choice was made for them.

The other thing is every storm is different. When Wilma blew through the Keys the Gulf side of the islands took the storm surge and flooded. With Irma it was the opposite and homes that had no water during Wilma were washed away on the ocean side.

And there's no category to predict storm surge.

Michael has made me re-think my own storm strategy, but I won't judge others for the hard choices they make.

As Chef2Sail said "There but for the grace of God go I".

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
Do these people not watch the news?
These people are there to help whether it's a hurricane in Florida or a tornado in the Mid-West.
https://www.redcross.org/
RegisteredUser likes this.

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by JimMcGee; 10-15-2018 at 07:23 PM.
post #73 of 78 Old 10-15-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

Colorado? Safety?

Second fact. I’m sure your armchairing suggestion has no personal experience. It is not an eásy decision to just leave all your belongs to the looters.
I actually live in Missouri, right in tornado alley. Maybe you heard of the Joplin Tornado. I have friends who lost homes in that one.

I weathered one in a van in a creek bed in 1981.

I've lived my whole life between the confluence of our two great rivers, Big Muddy and Ol' Man. I worked sandbagging levees during the two, so called hundred year floods we had in 1994 and 1995. We have some experience with wind and water.

I know that there are people who stay behind in hurricanes because of no car or money. There are also people who just stay, out of stuborness, and they end up putting the lives of first responders at risk.

post #74 of 78 Old 10-16-2018

as Jim said, we used to be in that majority who judge by category whether to stay or go....no longer after Florence, here in New Bern...
post #75 of 78 Old 10-16-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I have lived in Leavenworth Kansas when I was small. The massive scale of hurricane destruction is hard to imagine. When you drive in for miles and every tree is snapped in half.

Tornados are very pinpoint destructive and happen quickly. Hurricanes are terrorizing for hours . Both ruin people’s lives.

When there is a tornado warning do you pack the car with all your belongings and evacuate.? I doubt it.

Personally I’d leave if a hurricane was forecast....and have. But I understand why others don’t.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #76 of 78 Old 10-16-2018
bell ringer

The past 3 days I've come down the ICW and seen all the damage along the waterway to the RICH people's houses. I can fully believe that's the damage out of sight to me me is a LOT worst.

People should get off their internet forum soapboxes. If they have something critical to say, do something positive to help. Otherwise get off the box or use it to cover your blah blah blah head!

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #77 of 78 Old 10-16-2018

A Positive Note in All This

When I drove through Marathon after the storm you could almost say what year a house was built by the type of damage it sustained. Hurricane standards have kept evolving and they work.

The new standard calls for homes to be raised above 100 year flood levels and to be built to a 180 MPH storm standard.

I've gotten VERY familiar with this as we put down a deposit with a builder right before Irma and are going ahead with the build.

We're building a modular home, 200 MPH Hardie board siding, 180 MPH windows, a metal roof, hurricane ties, etc.

Yes it's more expensive. But houses on our street built in the same factory and erected by the same builder came through the storm with no significant damage. 14 of them. I think one lost a piece of trim, though they all lost landscaping to the storm surge but they're all elevated on pre-stressed concrete pilings sunk 30 feet into the ground.

The good news is a home built today or re-built after the storm will be able to weather the next hurricane. We're learning.
chef2sail likes this.

Currently Boatless

post #78 of 78 Old 11-16-2018

Thought I would chime in on this as a voice of experience. Just got internet back today so please excuse my delayed response. I had expressed in an earlier post that I had a bad feeling about another storm getting into the Gulf and heading our way since I knew we were overdue. My intuition was right but the timing was wrong. I let my guard down and thought we were home free for another season. I was busy getting the boat ready for my upcoming trip to the Appalachicola seafood festival on the Sunday before the storm. I didn't even know that a storm had developed because I don't watch network television or local news. Found out about the storm that night from my sister in law who said there's a storm heading directly for us. Spent Monday prepping the boat for the storm... loading up storm anchor and chain removing all sails bimini etc. Headed out Tuesday to anchor the boat, wasn't able to make it to my desired spot in time so had to settle in what I thought was a less desirable spot. I think Sunday they were expecting landfall as a one, Monday bumped to a two, Tuesday morning a three then Tuesday afternoon they started talking about a strong cat 4. This was my 4th weathering of a cat 3 or above storm but this baby was different. The last time I saw anything like this was Camille in 69. Devastating. I think it has put an end to my sailing days, not because I lost the boat, I didn't. That spot that I thought was less desirable turned out to be a Godsend. None of the other boats drug down on me and my Mantus Anchor held and didn't drag even in 135 plus mph winds. Maybe I'll explain how I set up the anchor another time but for now I'll just say that Michael knocked the wind out of this old mans sails. I'll spend years trying to put my universe back in order.
mbianka likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in