SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Weather (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/weather/)
-   -   F is for Florence (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/weather/325544-f-florence.html)

RegisteredUser 09-04-2018 03:49 AM

F is for Florence

Current preductions show she is Bermuda bound.

Minnewaska 09-04-2018 06:07 AM

Re: F is for Florence

Hopefully she makes a turn beforehand, let alone before the East Coast.

eherlihy 09-04-2018 10:26 AM

Most of the current focus is on Gordon, but Florence poses more of a threat to the fall ICW migration. My trip from RI to FL is slated to begin on 9-17, and she's a concern. Also, after watching the satellite videos of the Atlantic, there seems to be another disturbance (Invest 92L) right behind her.

outbound 09-04-2018 10:51 AM

Iím leaving with the SDR on or around November 1. In the past once you got through September you were generally home free. Now cyclonic storms occur both before and after the classic season with increasing frequency.
You watch the west coast of Africa but how much does this help? Leave too late and face the cold and North Atlantic gales. Leave too early hurricanes. Canít win.

SVTatia 09-04-2018 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outbound (Post 2051550494)
Iím leaving with the SDR on or around November 1. In the past once you got through September you were generally home free. Now cyclonic storms occur both before and after the classic season with increasing frequency.
You watch the west coast of Africa but how much does this help? Leave too late and face the cold and North Atlantic gales. Leave too early hurricanes. Canít win.

Needs revision:
  • June too soon
  • July standby
  • August you must
  • September remember
  • October all over

Minnewaska 09-04-2018 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eherlihy (Post 2051550492)
Most of the current focus is on Gordon, but Florence poses more of a threat to the fall ICW migration. My trip from RI to FL is slated to begin on 9-17, and she's a concern. Also, after watching the satellite videos of the Atlantic, there seems to be another disturbance (Invest 92L) right behind her.

I believe 2/3rds of all hurricanes occur in September. Even if one wasn't barreling down, how do you plan around them? Are you planning a direct run, or an ICW crawl?

eherlihy 09-04-2018 02:34 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 2051550530)
I believe 2/3rds of all hurricanes occur in September. Even if one wasn't barreling down, how do you plan around them? Are you planning a direct run, or an ICW crawl?

Little bitta both.

eherlihy 09-04-2018 02:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
continued...

Don L 09-04-2018 07:02 PM

I'm heading down. Every day's trip is based on weather, even if a hurricane isn't in the area. But if one is questionable I go ahead and make sure I'm in a position to go to ground. If I lose a day or two for nothing, no big loss of time as I have all the time I need.

Minnewaska 09-04-2018 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eherlihy (Post 2051550538)
Little bitta both.

30 day trip ish?

What's the plan, if a 'cane is heading your way?