Marina destruction - Page 10 - SailNet Community
 77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 93 Old 11-24-2018

Re: Marina destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
What a *****torm this thread turned into.

After all, that jib is more important than shuttering your house or helping out an elderly neighbor.

Everyone has a story.
Hardly, the boat is always our last concern and that of most, unless you're a liveaboard, and we assisted, and still continue to assist others...jib be damned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 93 Old 11-26-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRon47 View Post
I attach the bottom of the swivel to at least 3 anchor points. This year I used a tree, on the far side of the creek, a piling from a neighbors dock (connecting to the bottom of the piling with chain) and a Danforth anchor with all chain rode (65') in our NC mud. The mooring ball and the boat are attached to the top of the swivel, so the boat is free to face into the wind. I use 2 pendents from the boat to the swivel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
For me, it's always different, depending on where I must anchor for a storm.
My number one preference is in a river, lagoon or creek with mangroves. Setting out as many anchors as I have and using all lines available to the mangroves, has always been sufficient to keep my boats safe.

Those of you who tie up to things on shore, how do you do so without creating a trip line for any other boat coming in to anchor? I'm imagining a line hanging a few feet below the surface snagging a passing boats keel or prop or getting tangled in the gear they are dropping. Do you only use chain and assume it sits on the bottom? That might not be true if the line is under tension I'd think. Do you assume approaching boats see the lines? That could certainly be hard in bad weather to notice a little length of line attached to that tree over there and then dipping into the water. Maybe you'd rig floats to mark it? Or do you just go all the way back into the creek or whatever and effectively claim that area so no one else can pass through?
midwesterner likes this.
post #93 of 93 Old 11-27-2018 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrWinter View Post
Those of you who tie up to things on shore, how do you do so without creating a trip line for any other boat coming in to anchor? I'm imagining a line hanging a few feet below the surface snagging a passing boats keel or prop or getting tangled in the gear they are dropping. Do you only use chain and assume it sits on the bottom? That might not be true if the line is under tension I'd think. Do you assume approaching boats see the lines? That could certainly be hard in bad weather to notice a little length of line attached to that tree over there and then dipping into the water. Maybe you'd rig floats to mark it? Or do you just go all the way back into the creek or whatever and effectively claim that area so no one else can pass through?
Generally, nobody is going between my boat and the mangroves I tie to; there isn't room. In a river, I've set whatever anchors I want and tie to one side with maybe one line from the other side to the boat until just before dark. I've already tied whatever lines are going to the other side and I'll fetch them and secure them to the boat at dusk. I've never had anybody try to come in after dark in hurricane weather. If it were to happen, then I guess they'd just have to secure their boat down-river of us. It's pretty much first come first serve in any anchorage for a hurricane.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 11-27-2018 at 03:44 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in