Marina destruction - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 93 Old 09-14-2018

Re: Marina destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
I planned to ride out super storm Sandy on board. I had done some storm prep and went home to take care of a few things. When I tried to get back to the marina the flooded roads prevented me from getting back to the boat. It was on a mooring and survived the storm without a scratch but, was 1,000 feet from where I left it still attached to the mooring.
Recently I was on board a rode out a Nor' Easter at the mooring. Was not fun and doubt I'll be doing that again too. Still glad my boat is on a mooring in a blow. Think chances are better for less damage and better for survival. Still no guarantees in a Hurricane.
I think the last thing i would want to tie to would be a floating dock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 93 Old 09-14-2018

Looks like I'm going to have to start making preparations early next week for Isaac. If it gets into the Gulf as even a Tropical Depression there is a good chance that it will rapidly intensify. I've just got a bad feeling about it. We get a major storm here about once every 20 years (cat 2 or above) and we're overdue. I've got a spot picked out and it is somewhat exposed but all of the Hurricane holes wind-up with high concentrations of boats of questionable ground tackle so I've decided to risk more exposure over the chance of being in a boat sandwich. Pretty much all I can do is execute my plan and hope for the best. Not looking forward to dragging 250 feet of 3/8" chain down to the boat though. Of course by doing that it will probably send the storm elsewhere.
jephotog, RegisteredUser and capta like this.
post #13 of 93 Old 09-14-2018
cdy

Being a boater in Florida for over 30 years - from my observation - half the owners do nothing ( other than have insurance paid up- if they had it) - even last year with Irma heading our way - many kept their furling sails on, and left bimini's up. I had a boat moored in Cocoa - had 4 anchors out and 4 rodes - 3 failed ( chafe ) one held - boat survived - others did nothing - some just had dumb luck and survived - most were destroyed, 20 in the mooring area - 4 left after storm - the docks next to the mooring area did not survive - only the boats on the travel lifts escaped major damage. You can do everything humanly possible to protect your boat but if your neighbor does not - your work maybe wasted.
chef2sail likes this.

post #14 of 93 Old 09-15-2018

There is a boat yard on the North side of the river with a 30 and 70 ton lift. Not a big yard storage but seldom very full. Most folks there leave their boats in the water all year.

I had a discussion about using New Bern with some friends, I recommended it. NOT the marina but to anchor out in the Neuse. Shallow sandy mud. I canít imagine they got much wind up there. Biggest issue would flooding, which isnít much of an issue if you are anchored.

But WHY?

I suspect that we here on Sailnet are a minority of boat owners. I guess most of us here love our boats and love our water time. I also guess that most folks have a different relationship with their boats; they are investments, dock condos, reminders of unfullfilled dreams.

Most of us here work on our own boats and have skill sets. More importantly we have a proactive attitude. We are action driven, acclimated to control, first by owning a boat we actively sail and also by maintaining same. The majority of folks are much more passive. They may be active in some narrow line, in their career or their avocation. But that does not encompass boats and boating. Thus they are relatively passive and fatalistic when it comes to their dock queen. No emotional attachment, no empowerment to act.

Thatís my take anyway, for discussion.
troy2000 and mbianka like this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #15 of 93 Old 09-15-2018

A. That marina, Bridge Point, was full before the storm.
B. Storm tide more than wind was the killer.
C. That unprecedented tide was so high the docks floated over their pilings and broke into pieces.
D. There is no way to secure boats against that short of putting them elsewhere, and there was nowhere to go; all the yards were full.
E. It's New Bern, not New Boring. Considering the devastation, including the loss of boats well prepared for the storm, and especially the loss of human life, shove your arrogance, ignorance and condescension up your ass all the way to your black heart, Capta.
tschmidty likes this.
post #16 of 93 Old 09-15-2018
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attikos View Post
A. That marina, Bridge Point, was full before the storm.
B. Storm tide more than wind was the killer.
C. That unprecedented tide was so high the docks floated over their pilings and broke into pieces.
D. There is no way to secure boats against that short of putting them elsewhere, and there was nowhere to go; all the yards were full.
E. It's New Bern, not New Boring. Considering the devastation, including the loss of boats well prepared for the storm, and especially the loss of human life, shove your arrogance, ignorance and condescension up your ass all the way to your black heart, Capta.
Marina contracts I've seen in Massachusetts have wording requiring owners to remove their vessels from the marinas prior to a named storm. Boat owners who keep their vessels in slips would buy/retain a mooring that could be used for that purpose. Now Ma has not had a named storm for a long time and I suspect the discipline of keeping a storm mooring may have slacked or become rare...but that what used to be expected and adhered to.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Certified...in several regards...
post #17 of 93 Old 09-15-2018

Quote:
shove your arrogance, ignorance and condescension up your ass all the way to your black heart, Capta.
Back at you, bub

I understand exactly what Capta is saying. During Irma I spent days getting my boat ready and right before I evacuated the marina let another boat in right next to mine. They took all of an hour on their boat using inadequate lines, dodgy methods etc. I complained to the marina and they said they will take care of it but in the end my mate changed and tended that boats lines during the worst of it and that saved my boat from getting damaged.

I believe if own a boat you have a responsibility to ensure you do not endanger others. If you leave your boat for an extended period of time during hurricane season then you should prep it as if one is coming.
hpeer, eherlihy and oysterman23 like this.
post #18 of 93 Old 09-15-2018

If anyone has local knowledge, I'd be curious why the marina on opp side of river fared well.

s/v Miracle
post #19 of 93 Old 09-15-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totuma View Post
If anyone has local knowledge, I'd be curious why the marina on opp side of river fared well.
Yes. Both are floating docks. The New Bern Grand has taller pilings than Bridge Point.

My god, the idiocy of people who think prepping a boat will save the dock to which it's tied from destruction by a force of nature is beyond belief.

Last edited by Attikos; 09-15-2018 at 11:56 AM.
post #20 of 93 Old 09-15-2018

Quote:
Yes. Both are floating docks. The New Bern Grand has taller pilings than Bridge Point.

My god, the idiocy of people who think prepping a boat will save the dock to which it's tied from destruction by a force of nature is beyond belief.
Obviously you still don't get it. A prepped boat has a better chance of survival than one that isn't. That was Capta's point.

Some people have the need to have it spelled out for them.
flyingriki likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in