Marina destruction - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 93 Old 09-15-2018

Re: Marina destruction

I searched another site for “denied insurance claim” and found this statement.

“Dozens of boats in La Paz during Hurricane Marty found out about the 'NO canvas clause' AFTER their insurance claims were denied. A local insurance adjuster filmed all the boats while motoring around the bay shortly after the wtorm”

Don’t know if that is true, no reason to doubt it. Makes sense.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 93 Old 09-15-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I searched another site for “denied insurance claim” and found this statement.

“Dozens of boats in La Paz during Hurricane Marty found out about the 'NO canvas clause' AFTER their insurance claims were denied. A local insurance adjuster filmed all the boats while motoring around the bay shortly after the wtorm”

Don’t know if that is true, no reason to doubt it. Makes sense.
You said that your comment was from personal experience. I guess not...it's just truthiness.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #43 of 93 Old 09-15-2018

Show me where I said that.

Here let me help.

“The few folks I talked to about the losses in the VI’s all expressed dismay at how claims were handled. Many were denied out of hand, others were written off as a total loss without any survey. All over the place.”

I also said...

“My personal experience with insurance underwriters has been less than promising, very, very little clue as to what they were about, understanding the risks.”

My personal experience is with UNDERWRITERS, not claims agents.

I’ll restrain sarcastic retorts, in interest of retaining good relations. I know there are times when I don’t read close enough and am will to understand. Calling me a liar (truthiness) is a bit uncalled for.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Last edited by hpeer; 09-15-2018 at 07:58 PM.

post #44 of 93 Old 09-15-2018

I really do not want to get into this discussion and I am not sure why I am but here goes. The OP repeatedly calls the marina in 'New Boring' even though he has been informed it was New Bern. I can only assume he is doing that as a 'slur' against the area. It is a very visible marina that the news can cover easily and produce some dramatic film. On down the Neuse river there are many marina's, in Oriental (also on the Neuse and closer to the sound) there are over 3,000 boats in marina's like Pecan Grove, Fairfield harbor, Whitaker Point, Sea Harbor, River Dunes, etc. These did not make the news, they are better sheltered and impossible to get to after the storm (and still are by vehicle) and were as prepared (by the boat owners and marina staff's) as was possible given the dire predictions of a 13' surge. I know some sailboats were lost there as well, but the film from New Bern is not necessarily representative of the area. I live in the area and anchored my boat to tree's well up a creek and it survived, it could have easily not have by any one of many reasons. I think the OP has some valid points in his statements concerning owner responsibility, but I also think there are mitigating circumstances. Preparing my home, looking out for the safety of my family (by leaving) took precedence over prep for the boat, so I was only able to do so much (in this case sufficient). So all I am trying to say is that looking at the much bigger picture may give one a different perspective.
fallard likes this.
post #45 of 93 Old 09-15-2018 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRon47 View Post
Preparing my home, looking out for the safety of my family (by leaving) took precedence over prep for the boat, so I was only able to do so much (in this case sufficient).
Thank you, you make my point for me. Though you had other, more important responsibilities, you did in fact make an effort to mitigate damage to your boat, unlike those this post is about.
After that summer at the marina in New Boring, the place will be forever etched in my mind as New Boring, NC. I am happy that you like the place, though.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #46 of 93 Old 09-15-2018

Capn Ron: I'd be curious to hear about your prep.

s/v Miracle
PSC Flicka 20
post #47 of 93 Old 09-15-2018

Any competent captain with a boat in New Bern who saw, three or four days before the storm hit, the predicted tidal surge of over nine feet would have gotten the hell outta there. If you didn't leave you are not competent.

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
post #48 of 93 Old 09-15-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Show me where I said that...I’ll restrain sarcastic retorts, in interest of retaining good relations. I know there are times when I don’t read close enough and am will to understand. Calling me a liar (truthiness) is a bit uncalled for.
You're right, you did not say that. Someone else claimed to base his comments on direct experience. I apologize for attributing this to you. Thanks for holding off the sarcasm - it was charitable of you, and certainly time for me to tone it down.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #49 of 93 Old 09-16-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Any competent captain with a boat in New Bern who saw, three or four days before the storm hit, the predicted tidal surge of over nine feet would have gotten the hell outta there. If you didn't leave you are not competent.
I still think this is overly judgmental. Some locals may have just been overwhelmed with getting family and irreplaceable possessions packed up, low-lying homes sandbagged and boarded up, medical equipment relocated...a whole host of other things that are higher on the pecking order than a boat. I'm speculating, but so are you (apparently), and it's just not fair to these people who suffered a tragedy to pass such judgment against them with a broad brush stroke.

I don't know specifics, but I would speculate that it might have been impossible to even get to some marinas if roads were turned one-way away from shore areas to facilitate evacuation and prevent looters from moving in. Law enforcement officers often have other priorities than making life easier for yachties.

Were the bridges even opening for boats during those last few days? According to my chart Front Street Bascule has 14 ft vertical clearance, and looks like it could prevent sailboats from getting out of Bridgepoint and Grand. Someone posted on another thread that ICW bridges were not opening, so maybe there were similar issues in New Bern.

I suspect others who have local knowledge can provide actual facts, but right now they probably have other priorities putting their lives back together.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

post #50 of 93 Old 09-16-2018

My hurricane prep for the boat started 10 years ago when we moved to Oriental. I keep my 35' sailboat at the dock by our house on a creek off the Neuse with open exposure to the river. So I needed a plan to secure the boat during hurricanes. The plan evolved over several years and continues to be refined. I purchased several long lengths of heavy rode and chain, a mooring ball, a hefty swivel, mooring pendents and numerous hardware to connect it all together. I strip the boat of sails and canvas and move it farther up the creek sheltered from the river. I attach the bottom of the swivel to at least 3 anchor points. This year I used a tree, on the far side of the creek, a piling from a neighbors dock (connecting to the bottom of the piling with chain) and a Danforth anchor with all chain rode (65') in our NC mud. The mooring ball and the boat are attached to the top of the swivel, so the boat is free to face into the wind. I use 2 pendents from the boat to the swivel.

I wrap tie all exposed lines to the mast and boom. I cover the instruments with heavy garbage bags and duct tape it in place. I leave my bilge pump on with a electronic float switch. The plan has worked for Irene, Mathew an now Florence, with sustained winds of 70 knots in Oriental. Obviously I am blessed with a good location near home but just getting the rigging all put together and in place takes a couple of days. It will take me a couple of days to clean it all up afterwards as well. As I move into my mid 70's it is taking longer and longer.
Attached Thumbnails
heronprep.JPG  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in