Marina destruction - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 77Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 93 Old 09-16-2018
Senior Member
 
bristol299bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oriental NC
Posts: 414
Thanks: 107
Thanked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: Marina destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Maybe it has changed, but it wasn't an interesting enough place to have bothered to go to back then for any reason I could see, so I doubt it will entice me back to change my mind, now.
capta I'm not trying to convince you otherwise, I certainly get how a place can be etched in one's mind. And really, you are right, by most standards New Bern *is* pretty boring.

and for the record, I have huge respect for you and all that you bring to this forum. I've learned a lot from your posts.

But New Bern has changed since you have been there. It's a quiet, lovely town with a lot of history. It was the original capital of NC. before it was moved to Raleigh (now, Raleigh is a place with plenty of Malls and Cinemas for ya!). It's among the oldest towns in NC. It has a quaint downtown with restaurants and shops. it has a lovely waterfront park. There are some marine based businesses now. And many folks choose to move their boat to New Bern as they are staging for a long trip, or to set off for good. There is a lot to like in New Bern ... especially if you are like me and don't mind boring one bit.

But regardless of how we feel about New Bern, I think it's important for us all to understand that there is a lot of suffering in New Bern right now. Both in, and outside of, the boating community.
rpludwig likes this.

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
bristol299bob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 93 Old 09-16-2018
Senior Member
 
aa3jy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,433
Thanks: 3
Thanked 109 Times in 101 Posts
Rep Power: 13
 
Re: Marina destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol299bob View Post
But regardless of how we feel about New Bern, I think it's important for us all to understand that there is a lot of suffering in New Bern right now. Both in, and outside of, the boating community.
Agreed..

https://newschannel9.com/news/nation...-in-n-carolina

New Bern has been pounced enough...

Last edited by aa3jy; 09-16-2018 at 06:03 PM.
aa3jy is offline  
post #63 of 93 Old 09-16-2018 Thread Starter
Master Mariner
 
capta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: somewhere south of civilization
Posts: 6,841
Thanks: 134
Thanked 363 Times in 351 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: Marina destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol299bob View Post

But regardless of how we feel about New Bern, I think it's important for us all to understand that there is a lot of suffering in New Bern right now. Both in, and outside of, the boating community.
No matter how much I might not like a place, I in no way wish anyone there ill will or harm.
That was certainly not the intention or point of this post.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
capta is online now  
 
post #64 of 93 Old 09-16-2018
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 823
Thanks: 184
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: Marina destruction

Well hopefully they don't let 3,000 Americans Die like they did in Puerto Rico.
Totuma likes this.
sailforlife is online now  
post #65 of 93 Old 09-16-2018
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 19,044
Thanks: 82
Thanked 534 Times in 511 Posts
Rep Power: 11
   
Re: Marina destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailforlife View Post
Well hopefully they don't let 3,000 Americans Die like they did in Puerto Rico.
Please. This is nothing more than politics. I’m not going to try to reconcile the body count differences, but if anyone is to blame in PR, it’s the PR government and institutions. Pathetically corrupt.
smurphny likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
post #66 of 93 Old 09-16-2018 Thread Starter
Master Mariner
 
capta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: somewhere south of civilization
Posts: 6,841
Thanks: 134
Thanked 363 Times in 351 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: Marina destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Please. This is nothing more than politics. I’m not going to try to reconcile the body count differences, but if anyone is to blame in PR, it’s the PR government and institutions. Pathetically corrupt.
And I suppose this is also what you'd call "nothing more than politics"?
As a major hurricane heads toward the Carolinas, Democratic U.S. Sen. Jeff Merkley berated the Trump administration for diverting nearly $10 million from emergency FEMA funding to immigration enforcement.
Trading aid for Americans in need from natural disasters for concentration camps we should be ashamed of as a nation!
Yeah, that's politics all right!
sailforlife and Totuma like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
capta is online now  
post #67 of 93 Old 09-16-2018
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: New Bern N.C.
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Marina destruction

I have my Pearson 28-2 at Hancock Marina on base (MCAS Cherry Point) about ten miles down the Neuse from New Bern. Great protected little marina. I could not have sailed it away to shelter had I wanted (though crossed my mind). My professional duties obliged me to be at the squadron and otherwise prep the house, and then get my family on their way out of town. At one point I was going to have to crew one of the aircraft for relocation (we evac all the aircraft for obvious reasons), but I deferred to the junior pilots to take it since I have flown plenty of herevacs over the years, and this time I could be better employed staying back here to keep an eye on the house while the better half and kids went to safety. However, I did spend over $250 on a few extra heavy lines and bumpers from the West Marine. My tie up job was sound, with enough line to resonably accomodate the worst case 12' surge. I'd have to go measure the high water debris line, but it was at least 8-10 feet in there. Maybe more.

I also did everything I could think. Pulled all canvas. Completely cleared out the boat of everything (I mean everything... cushions, gear, excess crap, every storage panel, batteries). I quietly expected the boat to get sunk or smashed and I figured the less loose gear I had aboard the less debris I'd have to deal with during recovery. Plus I didn't need wet stinky berth and settee foam to deal with, or soaked wood panels.

Anyway... I took a lot of pictures of everything inside and out in case I did have to do an insurance claim. I was pretty confident in my prep.

And it worked!

What didn't work was another gents prep. His boat was in a slip on the other side of the dock and broke free in the surge (and may have been assisted by another boat next to his that is totally sunk and half in his slip) and wedged his boat against my boat, doing significant rub rail damage and hull marring. His boat was resting on some of my lines. Although his boat snapped a few of my lines (his bottom paint is well rubbed into the broken ends...), my tie up job, with the aid of the pilings beating the crap of out things, kept both boats in there. His sails were still on (and shredded, and probbaly contributed to the disaster). His lines were not new. Far from it. And he had some cleats break free from his deck. It is a Catalina 30.

So bummer. You do everything you can within time/reason/ability, and someone else's boat crunches yours. A few in there made it ok. There are also boats on shore, sunk, or sitting on the dock.

I almost made it unscathed... Almost.

Pity too. I just got the boat in May for a steal, well under market value. Well cared for. Now it's going to be a very long time before I can get it fixed and attended to. I hope his insurance covers it since I didn't break free and crunch into him. Meanwhile it is frustrating given the time and care some of us took to prep.

However, a dinged up boat is nothing compared to the hardships some folks here are enduring, and will be for some time to come.

Not sure if this is of any added value to this thread. Power just came back on and figured I'd kill some time...

Last edited by Bird Dog; 09-16-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Bird Dog is offline  
post #68 of 93 Old 09-16-2018 Thread Starter
Master Mariner
 
capta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: somewhere south of civilization
Posts: 6,841
Thanks: 134
Thanked 363 Times in 351 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: Marina destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
I have my Pearson 28-2 at Hancock Marina on base (MCAS Cherry Point) about ten miles down the Neuse from New Bern. Great protected little marina. I could not have sailed it away to shelter had I wanted (though crossed my mind). My professional duties obliged me to be at the squadron and otherwise prep the house, and then get my family on their way out of town. At one point I was going to have to crew one of the aircraft for relocation (we evac all the aircraft for obvious reasons), but I deferred to the junior pilots to take it since I have flown plenty of herevacs over the years, and this time I could be better employed staying back here to keep an eye on the house while the better half and kids went to safety. However, I did spend over $250 on a few extra heavy lines and bumpers from the West Marine. My tie up job was sound, with enough line to resonably accomodate the worst case 12' surge. I'd have to go measure the high water debris line, but it was at least 8-10 feet in there. Maybe more.

I also did everything I could think. Pulled all canvas. Completely cleared out the boat of everything (I mean everything... cushions, gear, excess crap, every storage panel, batteries). I quietly expected the boat to get sunk or smashed and I figured the less loose gear I had aboard the less debris I'd have to deal with during recovery. Plus I didn't need wet stinky berth and settee foam to deal with, or soaked wood panels.

Anyway... I took a lot of pictures of everything inside and out in case I did have to do an insurance claim. I was pretty confident in my prep.

And it worked!

What didn't work was another gents prep. His boat was in a slip on the other side of the dock and broke free in the surge (and may have been assisted by another boat next to his that is totally sunk and half in his slip) and wedged his boat against my boat, doing significant rub rail damage and hull marring. His boat was resting on some of my lines. Although his boat snapped a few of my lines (his bottom paint is well rubbed into the broken ends...), my tie up job, with the aid of the pilings beating the crap of out things, kept both boats in there. His sails were still on (and shredded, and probbaly contributed to the disaster). His lines were not new. Far from it. And he had some cleats break free from his deck. It is a Catalina 30.

So bummer. You do everything you can within time/reason/ability, and someone else's boat crunches yours. A few in there made it ok. There are also boats on shore, sunk, or sitting on the dock.

I almost made it unscathed... Almost.

Pity too. I just got the boat in May for a steal, well under market value. Well cared for. Now it's going to be a very long time before I can get it fixed and attended to. I hope his insurance covers it since I didn't break free and crunch into him. Meanwhile it is frustrating given the time and care some of us took to prep.

However, a dinged up boat is nothing compared to the hardships some folks here are enduring, and will be for some time to come.

Not sure if this is of any added value to this thread. Power just came back on and figured I'd kill some time...
Good on you for doing the best you could with all your other responsibilities. You have my sympathy your neighbor did not do so as well.
I have spent a career avoiding 'the other guy(s)' in storms and it is truly exhausting. I have never lost a vessel to a storm and I've been through more than I can count, some well above 150 knots, but have lost one to another boat, even after I repeatedly warned him that he was anchored too close to my mooring.
Even if folks don't give a darn about their own boat, it's a real shame how blaze' they are about someone else's. A sign of the times, I guess.
CVAT and sailforlife like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
capta is online now  
post #69 of 93 Old 09-17-2018
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 19,044
Thanks: 82
Thanked 534 Times in 511 Posts
Rep Power: 11
   
Re: Marina destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
And I suppose this is also what you'd call "nothing more than politics"?
As a major hurricane heads toward the Carolinas, Democratic U.S. Sen. Jeff Merkley berated the Trump administration for diverting nearly $10 million from emergency FEMA funding to immigration enforcement.
Trading aid for Americans in need from natural disasters for concentration camps we should be ashamed of as a nation!
Yeah, that's politics all right!
It surely is nothing more than politics. It was proven shortly after this statement was made to be funding that came from an operational account (“unspent operational accounts for training, office supplies and headquarters cost”) and was not available for relief. It has absolutely nothing to do with response funding, which most have given the administration credit for mobilizing well in advance.

https://www.snopes.com/ap/2018/09/12...ricane-relief/

Listen, I voted for Hillary (as the lesser of two evils) and dislike our current President for a variety of reasons. I bet I knew of him long before most of you ever heard of him. I grew up in Metro NYC.

As a staunch independent, I’ve gotten incredibly frustrated by all this misinformation, solely to discredit. It’s destructive to our democracy. In fact, I’ll go one further. I believe there are enough people who are sick and tired of these unfounded jabs that they just might vote for him again, having lost faith in the integrity of the dems. If that happens, I will point directly to posts like this as the cause.

He does enough actual stupid stuff to point out.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
post #70 of 93 Old 09-17-2018
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: NC
Posts: 48
Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Marina destruction

New Bern resident, and love the area, the people, the restaurants, bars, shops, quaint historic downtown. It is not "boring" here and everything is within a 10 minute drive.

All members of our club have a hurricane plan, anchor out or pull out, strip the boat. Follow your plan and you'll likely be fine, even with a 10' surge.
rpludwig is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ritchie Navigator spontaneous destruction? VallelyJ Gear & Maintenance 2 11-23-2013 12:09 AM
At sea. Clipper Round the World Race: New York Clipper’s appetite for destruction @ BYM Sailing News NewsReader News Feeds 0 04-20-2006 02:15 PM
Restless Adventures: Navy Marina to Navy Marina @ Sail Blogs NewsReader News Feeds 0 04-18-2006 06:15 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome