SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Weather (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/weather/)
-   -   Marina destruction (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/weather/325756-marina-destruction.html)

capta 09-14-2018 10:22 AM

Marina destruction

My wife just showed me a video of a marina in New Boring NC that was being demolished by Flo. Lots of boats sunk and damaged.
But, I'm confused. Hasn't this storm been pretty well forecast for a week now? Storm surge, wind, all the bad stuff that comes with a tropical cyclonic storm. Yet many (most?) of the boats still had roller furling jibs and cockpit canvas up.
Sure the docks were torn from their pilings, but with forecasting, as it is today, it wasn't like nobody could figure out which direction the wind would come from and in this case, apparently the longest distance for fetch.
So all these folks lost their boats, made a mess of the local environment, their boats will be added to already overflowing landfills and are sure to cause ANOTHER huge hike in insurance rates, just because they are too lazy to deal with their boats properly, or incapable of understanding a weather forecast?
I'm certainly not one for government interference in our affairs, but something really needs to be done to ensure the penalties are severe enough they will do something to ameliorate such irresponsible boat ownership in the future.
Shame on these people!

paulinnanaimo 09-14-2018 10:33 AM

Re: Marina destruction

Perhaps they are hoping that their boats would be wrecked.

overbored 09-14-2018 10:55 AM

I think you mean New Bern, NC ,tragic https://abcnews4.com/weather/hurrica...ys-docks-video

tschmidty 09-14-2018 11:13 AM

All kinds of reasons people wouldn't get to their boats to tie things off, out of town, evacuated, busy getting their house ready for the storm. And frankly looking at that destruction, pretty sure pulling off the furling jib wasn't going to save those boats. One of the sailboats is still afloat but missing the top half of the mast and quite a few others are underwater.

Minnewaska 09-14-2018 11:31 AM

I'm sure some spent their time securing their homes first and probably still didn't fully finish. As referenced above, there is no better way to get out of your investment in your boat, than to get a full value insurance check. No broker, no waiting. I'm sure several fit that category. Finally, despite all the attention one might give their boat, unless you could be hauled to high and dry land (which I'm not sure even exists there), your essentially doomed by the surge and wind and missing marina anyway.

Blessing to those that are pleased with the loss of their boats down there. Hopefully, they are all personally safe.

pdqaltair 09-14-2018 11:58 AM

Other common reasons are:

* Disbelief. It's not actually going to happen. Perhaps they've never seen it in person. TV is fake.
* Don't know what to do. Far up a creek and lots of anchors would do it. But remember that 90% of boats barely leave the docks. They havn't got the skill set to do anything in possibly challenging conditions.
* Don't want to waste money and time. Yup, they could haul out, but that would cost money and feel foolish if the storm swerved or petered out. No, stripping canvas would not have saved many, but that they did not try suggests they did want to waste the effort.
* Taking time off work. By the time the forecast is certain a weekend may not be handy.
* Not local. They may live many hours away.

Mostly, they're not good excuses. In fact, mostly they are really, really lame. But they are what people believe.

overbored 09-14-2018 12:58 PM

Loosing a boat is small compared to loosing your house or your life. not all boats lost in that area, just small section of the marina. the boats are safer then the homes in the area. more homes sunk then boats.

roverhi 09-14-2018 02:40 PM

Judging by the movement of the boats in their slips, luck would be the only thing that would save a boat in that marina. With the bobbing and twisting from wave action and wind it would be fortune that would keep the mooring line from chafing through. Only see one boat in a quick look at the video that had the remains of a sail flapping in the wind. There are a lot of empty slips, at least you hope they are empty and not just the boats sunk in them, so looks like many boats hauled out or went to some hurricane hole with some protection from wave fetch.

Had the pleasure of riding out a couple of tropical storm/hurricane remains in Norfolk and it was hard to envision the difference between your placid marina when subjected to the wind and waves of a significant storm. Rode out both storms on board only because I was too dumb to learn from the first. Once the storm hits there is precious little you can do to save your boat if your preparations weren't adequate or something unfathomable happens. Even hauling the boat isn't a guarantee of safety. Boats have fallen over or even floated into other boats when in the yard.

4arch 09-14-2018 03:40 PM

Even if there were ample high ground to store the boats ashore, every travelift within 100 miles of the landfall running round the clock from the time it became reasonably certain the storm would come ashore in central NC (Monday-ish) to the time sustained winds ramped up too much to haul anymore boats (early Thursday AM) would have been lucky to get even half the large boats out of harmís way.

mbianka 09-14-2018 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverhi (Post 2051552798)
Had the pleasure of riding out a couple of tropical storm/hurricane remains in Norfolk and it was hard to envision the difference between your placid marina when subjected to the wind and waves of a significant storm. Rode out both storms on board only because I was too dumb to learn from the first. Once the storm hits there is precious little you can do to save your boat if your preparations weren't adequate or something unfathomable happens. Even hauling the boat isn't a guarantee of safety. Boats have fallen over or even floated into other boats when in the yard.

I planned to ride out super storm Sandy on board. I had done some storm prep and went home to take care of a few things. When I tried to get back to the marina the flooded roads prevented me from getting back to the boat. It was on a mooring and survived the storm without a scratch but, was 1,000 feet from where I left it still attached to the mooring.
Recently I was on board a rode out a Nor' Easter at the mooring. Was not fun and doubt I'll be doing that again too. Still glad my boat is on a mooring in a blow. Think chances are better for less damage and better for survival. Still no guarantees in a Hurricane.