Marina destruction - SailNet Community
 77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 93 Old 09-14-2018 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Marina destruction

My wife just showed me a video of a marina in New Boring NC that was being demolished by Flo. Lots of boats sunk and damaged.
But, I'm confused. Hasn't this storm been pretty well forecast for a week now? Storm surge, wind, all the bad stuff that comes with a tropical cyclonic storm. Yet many (most?) of the boats still had roller furling jibs and cockpit canvas up.
Sure the docks were torn from their pilings, but with forecasting, as it is today, it wasn't like nobody could figure out which direction the wind would come from and in this case, apparently the longest distance for fetch.
So all these folks lost their boats, made a mess of the local environment, their boats will be added to already overflowing landfills and are sure to cause ANOTHER huge hike in insurance rates, just because they are too lazy to deal with their boats properly, or incapable of understanding a weather forecast?
I'm certainly not one for government interference in our affairs, but something really needs to be done to ensure the penalties are severe enough they will do something to ameliorate such irresponsible boat ownership in the future.
Shame on these people!
hpeer, zeehag and BillMoran like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 Old 09-14-2018

Re: Marina destruction

Perhaps they are hoping that their boats would be wrecked.
sailforlife likes this.
post #3 of 93 Old 09-14-2018

I think you mean New Bern, NC ,tragic https://abcnews4.com/weather/hurrica...ys-docks-video

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
The Following User Says Thank You to overbored For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (09-14-2018)

post #4 of 93 Old 09-14-2018

All kinds of reasons people wouldn't get to their boats to tie things off, out of town, evacuated, busy getting their house ready for the storm. And frankly looking at that destruction, pretty sure pulling off the furling jib wasn't going to save those boats. One of the sailboats is still afloat but missing the top half of the mast and quite a few others are underwater.
post #5 of 93 Old 09-14-2018

I'm sure some spent their time securing their homes first and probably still didn't fully finish. As referenced above, there is no better way to get out of your investment in your boat, than to get a full value insurance check. No broker, no waiting. I'm sure several fit that category. Finally, despite all the attention one might give their boat, unless you could be hauled to high and dry land (which I'm not sure even exists there), your essentially doomed by the surge and wind and missing marina anyway.

Blessing to those that are pleased with the loss of their boats down there. Hopefully, they are all personally safe.
sailforlife likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 93 Old 09-14-2018

Other common reasons are:

* Disbelief. It's not actually going to happen. Perhaps they've never seen it in person. TV is fake.
* Don't know what to do. Far up a creek and lots of anchors would do it. But remember that 90% of boats barely leave the docks. They havn't got the skill set to do anything in possibly challenging conditions.
* Don't want to waste money and time. Yup, they could haul out, but that would cost money and feel foolish if the storm swerved or petered out. No, stripping canvas would not have saved many, but that they did not try suggests they did want to waste the effort.
* Taking time off work. By the time the forecast is certain a weekend may not be handy.
* Not local. They may live many hours away.

Mostly, they're not good excuses. In fact, mostly they are really, really lame. But they are what people believe.
eherlihy, zeehag and capta like this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #7 of 93 Old 09-14-2018

Loosing a boat is small compared to loosing your house or your life. not all boats lost in that area, just small section of the marina. the boats are safer then the homes in the area. more homes sunk then boats.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #8 of 93 Old 09-14-2018

Judging by the movement of the boats in their slips, luck would be the only thing that would save a boat in that marina. With the bobbing and twisting from wave action and wind it would be fortune that would keep the mooring line from chafing through. Only see one boat in a quick look at the video that had the remains of a sail flapping in the wind. There are a lot of empty slips, at least you hope they are empty and not just the boats sunk in them, so looks like many boats hauled out or went to some hurricane hole with some protection from wave fetch.

Had the pleasure of riding out a couple of tropical storm/hurricane remains in Norfolk and it was hard to envision the difference between your placid marina when subjected to the wind and waves of a significant storm. Rode out both storms on board only because I was too dumb to learn from the first. Once the storm hits there is precious little you can do to save your boat if your preparations weren't adequate or something unfathomable happens. Even hauling the boat isn't a guarantee of safety. Boats have fallen over or even floated into other boats when in the yard.
mbianka and bricka like this.
post #9 of 93 Old 09-14-2018

Even if there were ample high ground to store the boats ashore, every travelift within 100 miles of the landfall running round the clock from the time it became reasonably certain the storm would come ashore in central NC (Monday-ish) to the time sustained winds ramped up too much to haul anymore boats (early Thursday AM) would have been lucky to get even half the large boats out of harm’s way.
post #10 of 93 Old 09-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Had the pleasure of riding out a couple of tropical storm/hurricane remains in Norfolk and it was hard to envision the difference between your placid marina when subjected to the wind and waves of a significant storm. Rode out both storms on board only because I was too dumb to learn from the first. Once the storm hits there is precious little you can do to save your boat if your preparations weren't adequate or something unfathomable happens. Even hauling the boat isn't a guarantee of safety. Boats have fallen over or even floated into other boats when in the yard.
I planned to ride out super storm Sandy on board. I had done some storm prep and went home to take care of a few things. When I tried to get back to the marina the flooded roads prevented me from getting back to the boat. It was on a mooring and survived the storm without a scratch but, was 1,000 feet from where I left it still attached to the mooring.
Recently I was on board a rode out a Nor' Easter at the mooring. Was not fun and doubt I'll be doing that again too. Still glad my boat is on a mooring in a blow. Think chances are better for less damage and better for survival. Still no guarantees in a Hurricane.
RegisteredUser likes this.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in