post #101 of 319 Old 10-08-2018
Old soul

Re: Will climate change change your sailing plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Jeez, Mike.
You are a 'Denier'.
You bought all in, dude.
OK, I donít understand this post RU. It seems like youíre making a joke, but thereís no , so I canít be sure. Can you explain so I can understand?

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 319 Old 10-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
OK, I donít understand this post RU. It seems like youíre making a joke, but thereís no , so I canít be sure. Can you explain so I can understand?
You dont undersrtand that this whole thing was planned long ago and is corrupt as hell.
Global warming renamed climate change was just the vehicle chosen to use.
Maybe around a campfire i would let loose...but not here on this forum.
I believe you mean well, but i think you are niave about this. It was promoted and sold to young and old.
travlin-easy likes this.
post #103 of 319 Old 10-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Here's my take on Al Gore:

...... He has made money from speaking fees and writing books. That's what virtually all retired politicians do. GET OVER IT.
Maybe someone else mentioned Gore in the article you posted, but I think it was me and, therefore, assume this YELLING was directed at me.

AND you are WRONG. Al Gore partnered with a former division chief at Goldman Sacs to form a company to sell carbon credits. They then lobbied the government hard to pass laws that required the purchase of these credits around the world. He made tens, if not hundreds, of million of dollars off this scheme. He's a profiteering salesman and a disservice to the cause.

Quote:
Please come up with a more substantive reason to deny global climate change.
Again, are you talking to me? Quote one thing I said that denies climate change. You're seemingly blinded by the fact that I've pointed out there is no science that shows a reduction in man made greenhouse gasses is going to change the outcome now. Perhaps you can't follow the difference in whether it caused what we're dealing with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #104 of 319 Old 10-08-2018
Living the dream

I keep promising myself that I'll stay out of these CC threads, but like a moth to a flame...

I sail around the Barrier Reef. I pulled my boat out of the water a few years back to do a few months of work on it and that has blown out to the point that the darn'd thing i still sitting high and dry. However, the reef looked fine for the most part when I left it and since cooling my heals on land all I hear on the TV about the reef is how destroyed it is. Usually by some researcher speaking with an accent that is not Australian. I've even heard ridiculous quotes like "90% of the reef is dead" bandied about. Sure, it has sustained some recent damage as I've heard from first hand reports. Most of this damage has been due to high SST's resulting during the 2016 el Nino and a number of recent cyclones that ran over the top of areas of the reef. On the subject of the latter, I heard someone from the weather bureau make a statement to the effect - when discussing projections for the upcoming cyclone season - that "Cyclone activity has decreased in the last 30 years, but they may be increasing in intensity". Notice the Italics. Words like "may", "might" and "could" are very popular for those wishing to express their visions of global destruction to be wrought upon mankind by climate change.

Anyway, I digress. When I float the boat shortly I expect the reef to still be pretty much how I left it, so no need to update plans. In fact, when I was in Cairns and Port Douglas recently (major hubs for Barrier Reef tourism) the constant stream of boats carting tourists out to popular islands and reefs appeared to affirm this. Speaking of tourists, the most damage I have personally observed to the reef is caused by tourist and related boating activities.

Now to enter the fray. Whether it's man, the Sun or hobgoblins that are responsible for a changing climate is irrelevant. What is noteworthy is why it's only ever the maybe of some horrible irretrievable disasters that are bandied about. The actual effects directly attributable to climate change and nothing else are somewhat limited. Quotes like that below are a perfect example. No one cares about the good bugs; Or other fauna and flora. Nope. It's just the ticks, virulent pests and other creepy stuff that gets to run rampant thanks to climate change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Just to widen the CC scope a bit know that moose are being severely impacted by ticks >Apparently spruce budworm is not the only critters benefiting from mild winters. This is not a real problem as there is little data by qualified data collectors so can be disregarded by herds of us. However, If you cruise the coast be prepared to dress for CC avoiding Lyms D. AS for Luddits avoiding science and technology facts .farmers in Sudan are following this thread with interest to wrest an understanding of how melting tundra can cause their corn to die. Few have PhDs so can by safely ignored too.
Dig deeper, and there are untold benefits of a warmer climate. Accuse me of cherry picking if you will, but I grabbed a couple of examples in double quick time.

1) World grain production has increased from about 600 million tons in 1950 to around 2200 million tons now. Dunno about where you live, but farmland and the percentages of people working in grain growing occupations haven't increased anywhere near proportional to those values in my neck of the woods.

2) Average life expectancy in the US has increased from around 47 years in 1900 to around 80 years currently. Make of that what you will.

As "they" say, you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs. The omelette in this case is technology and all the incredible advancements that it brings. The broken egg is (on the assumption the cause is anthropogenic) climate change. Even our beloved climate scientists cannot undertake their valuable research without contributing to molecules of CO2 to the atmosphere. Simply commuting to work, equipping and powering their homes and labs, flying to research sites, conventions and other junkets and so on and so forth all add to the pot.
travlin-easy likes this.
post #105 of 319 Old 10-08-2018

I love the part about the ticks. Most folks are completely unaware of where Lyme Disease originates, which is from the blood of a white-footed mouse and some small birds - not the tick itself. The tick is merely the transporter of the disease, but if and only if it bites a white-footed mouse, then goes into hibernation. The black legged tick only lives three years, and it must find a warm blooded mammal to feast upon or it will quickly die. After hibernation, the tick emerges in spring to find a new host, which may be your pet cat or dog, or you if you are working in the garden planting flowers or pruning shrubbery. If the tick happens to bite you, it excretes a saliva that helps keep the wound open so your blood does not coagulate while it feasts upon it. After filling it's stomach, the tick falls off, and once again goes into hibernation, emerging during it's final year to find a mate and breed. There are lots of black legged (deer) ticks that do not have Lyme Disease, and most of them get their nourishment from whitetail deer when the deer bed down on the edges of fields at night and the tick can find it's way through the dense deer hair. If the white-footed mouse population is high, then the occurrences of Lyme Disease tends to be proportionally high in those same areas. Conversely, if there are lots of mouse predators, hawks, owls, snakes, the incidence of Lyme Disease tends to be much lower.

Gary
post #106 of 319 Old 10-08-2018
Old soul

Quote:
You dont undersrtand that this whole thing was planned long ago and is corrupt as hell.
I believe you mean well, but i think you are niave about this. It was promoted and sold to young and old.
OK, I really donít know what youíre talking about. Iím tempted to make some tinfoil hat comment at this point, but Iíll ask you to be specific and clear:

WHO planned this long ago?
WHAT makes it ďcorrupt as hellĒ?
WHO ďsold this to young and oldĒ?
Global warming was not renamed climate change. This is not some corporate branding exercise.

BLOG:
post #107 of 319 Old 10-08-2018
Old soul

Iím liking this guy.

https://youtu.be/AE6Kdo1AQmY
oysterman23 and outbound like this.

BLOG:
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeOReilly For This Useful Post:
outbound (10-08-2018)
post #108 of 319 Old 10-08-2018 Thread Starter

Spot on. Great vid.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #109 of 319 Old 10-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
It is the utmost arrogance to believe homo sapien is somehow impervious to these changes. And even more importantly, our modern civilization is far more fragile than most urbanites appear to understand.
Very true. Manifest Destiny is still strong among some. I had a Christian guy the other day tell me that climate change can't be real because god gave us the earth and all it's resources, and that god would never allow us to do harm to the planet because we are his chosen ones.
A good use of religion to justify a self centered lifestyle.
hpeer and MikeOReilly like this.
post #110 of 319 Old 10-09-2018

Quote:

If I believe that anything has been branded, promoted and sold, it is the oil and coal industries selling the idea that continuing to burn fossil fuels is no threat to the environment.
hpeer and ThereYouAre like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in