Will climate change change your sailing plans - Page 21 - SailNet Community
 232Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #201 of 319 Old 10-15-2018

Re: Will climate change change your sailing plans

Curtis you are partially correct, increased atmospheric CO2 will increase plant biomass, but with limitations.

Food crops may grow larger and quicker but will be less nutrient dense.

Non-food crops for fiber or building materials will have reduced structural properties and may be more at risk from extreme weather events and disease.

Growth of weed plants including poison ivy will also increase.

Humans and other organisms on this planet have evolved to function in an environment with an atmosphere containing CO2 within a lower range than current predictions show for the second half of this century.

Climatic change has effects beyond storms, droughts and rising sea level.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...nefit-plants1/

Last edited by Ulladh; 10-15-2018 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 319 Old 10-15-2018
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
...Walking around with our kids I mentioned some of the most recent CC reports (factual, journalism) and asked what they were thinking.

"Scares me to death", was the reply. No silver bullets coming from their gen. But they have grown up in this nightmare and are living with it, always in mind. You can see them making the changes that are so controversial to the older gen. Not making changes isn't in their thinking.
No doubt, the denialism crowd is mostly older. But thatís no surprise since older folks are the ones that hold most of the power and wealth in our societies. And of course, older folk tend towards conservative attitudes in general (although I donít equate denialism with conservatism).

Quote:
Finally, I asked if they have any friends that doubt climate science and our hand in the problem. I could see from their reaction that this was an absurd question. They are painfully aware of the politics of CC, but my generation owns that absurd political side.

Our relics in DC, especially the denier ignorance, are quickly passing history in their eyes. The world is young and making changes, without the old guard in DC.
So true. The up and coming generations donít have the luxury of ignoring reality. I wonder how millennials (and later) will view our generations when they take the reins of power. I hope they are magnanimous and understanding.
TomMaine likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #203 of 319 Old 10-15-2018

The climate will always change . It is in a constant state of flux. Minor changes occur in repeating cycles such as drought, heat waves, cooling periods, El nino and then la Nina. Slower changes and cycles occur as well such as ice ages rising and falling sea levels. Forests cycle into deserts and back again. Humans burn fossil fuels and volcanoes spew magnitudes more into the atmosphere. Wild fires burn millions of acres and new green growth follows. Man is just learning to manipulate the weather on a small scale but to change or influence the climate of an entire planet is but a pipe dream. Following the dumbing down of the educational system the new generation will fall for pretty much anything.

post #204 of 319 Old 10-15-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis742 View Post
The climate will always change . It is in a constant state of flux. Minor changes occur in repeating cycles such as drought, heat waves, cooling periods, El nino and then la Nina. Slower changes and cycles occur as well such as ice ages rising and falling sea levels. Forests cycle into deserts and back again. Humans burn fossil fuels and volcanoes spew magnitudes more into the atmosphere. Wild fires burn millions of acres and new green growth follows. Man is just learning to manipulate the weather on a small scale but to change or influence the climate of an entire planet is but a pipe dream. Following the dumbing down of the educational system the new generation will fall for pretty much anything.
Wow, where to even begin? I donít have the time, aside from pointing out how wrong your statement is about the new generation. Next youíll be yelling ďGet off my lawn!Ē
Ulladh, TomMaine, Capt Len and 1 others like this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #205 of 319 Old 10-15-2018

Mike,

I was a hippy and we were gonna change the world.
MikeOReilly likes this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #206 of 319 Old 10-15-2018

So I take it you are fully bought into the climate change fiasco even though the only solution the government can come up with is a carbon tax and the offer to buy and sell carbon credits, there is this fellow Al Gore who owns a large supply oof these credits and they are for sale at a competitive price.He is an honest upstanding fellow from what I hear on the news. Interesting 😎. BTW I have this beautiful bridge in sunny California, it's all golden colored which I would be willing to let go of if the price is right.
post #207 of 319 Old 10-15-2018
Captain Obvious

Quote:
I just returned from visiting family (our kids) in NYC for the weekend. Flying in, this thread came to mind as I watched countless homes and lives below just a few feet from the HW mark.

Coming from our bold high coast line, it's easy to forget how much of the world is effected by and inch - a 10th of an inch - of sea level rise.

And coming from an age old state (Maine), being in Brooklyn and Manhattan, I'm always struck by how young the rest of the world is.

Walking around with our kids I mentioned some of the most recent CC reports (factual, journalism) and asked what they were thinking.

"Scares me to death", was the reply. No silver bullets coming from their gen. But they have grown up in this nightmare and are living with it, always in mind. You can see them making the changes that are so controversial to the older gen. Not making changes isn't in their thinking.

Finally, I asked if they have any friends that doubt climate science and our hand in the problem.

I could see from their reaction that this was an absurd question. They are painfully aware of the politics of CC, but my generation owns that absurd political side.

Our relics in DC, especially the denier ignorance, are quickly passing history in their eyes. The world is young and making changes, without the old guard in DC.

What a great trip! NYC is always an eye opener for me, the people, the food! Some Brooklyn art I loved.

Such a great point. Just like gay rights. That generation doesn't have a doubt or understand those who do. Then again, its Brooklyn which is rich, highly educated and right on the ocean.

Part of the problem is they share two senators with 20 million other people, whereas Wyoming has two senators, both climate change deniers, for half a million people.
TomMaine likes this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #208 of 319 Old 10-15-2018
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
Curtis you are partially correct, increased atmospheric CO2 will increase plant biomass, but with limitations.

Food crops may grow larger and quicker but will be less nutrient dense.

Non-food crops for fiber or building materials will have reduced structural properties and may be more at risk from extreme weather events and disease.

Growth of weed plants including poison ivy will also increase.

Humans and other organisms on this planet have evolved to function in an environment with an atmosphere containing CO2 within a lower range than current predictions show for the second half of this century.

Climatic change has effects beyond storms, droughts and rising sea level.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...nefit-plants1/
Comedy gold.

Sent from my SGP521 using Tapatalk
post #209 of 319 Old 10-15-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefMagnet View Post
Comedy gold.

Sent from my SGP521 using Tapatalk
So supply has tracked demand, which is driven by population growth, thanks to farming technology. This doesnít disprove ACC at all, in fact, petroleum-fueled productivity gains and clear cutting to expand farmland have both increased carbon emissions, which have a deferred effect on climate.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #210 of 319 Old 10-15-2018

There are so many variables in play , look at Brazil, at the current rate of deforestation it could easily become the new Sahara. But as ice caps melt more land is covered last reports were the planet is cooling . Hence the shift in terminology from global warming to climate change. Change will happen regardless of human intervention. The geological record is a visible record of extreme change which appears to be sudden. The layers go from lush vegetation to flood formations to desert and then repeats. All before mankind walked the planet.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in