Will climate change change your sailing plans - Page 27 - SailNet Community
 232Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #261 of 319 Old 03-05-2019
Old soul

Re: Will climate change change your sailing plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_f View Post
Mike, this does not jive with the science. All you have to do is look at any of the recent climate assessments or IPCC reports comparing emissions scenarios to see that our decisions today impact the relatively near term future -- I plan on living at least a couple of decades more. Sure the changes become larger as you look at longer time horizons, but there are substantial differences in the next couple of decades between RCP4.5 and RCP8.5 for instance.
Ill look them up. My recollection is that the latest report shows were already locked into 1.5C rise, and that is wildly optimistic. Even 2C is very optimistic, and there is much research to indicate were likely locked into 3C or more.

Regardless, we are locked into a certain temperature rise. There is nothing we can do short of significantly de-carbonizing the atmosphere, and no one knows how to do that. Even at 1.5C the impacts are real (they are real already).

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #262 of 319 Old 03-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Ill look them up. My recollection is that the latest report shows were already locked into 1.5C rise, and that is wildly optimistic. Even 2C is very optimistic, and there is much research to indicate were likely locked into 3C or more.

Regardless, we are locked into a certain temperature rise. There is nothing we can do short of significantly de-carbonizing the atmosphere, and no one knows how to do that. Even at 1.5C the impacts are real (they are real already).
Full agreement here. You are right that we are locked into significant warming already -- avoiding 1.5 or 2C warming is wildly optimistic -- and those impacts are meaningful. My point was simply the difference between business as usual and lower emission pathways will reduce the necessary level of adaptation in our lifetime -- not just our grandchildren. You are of course correct that the bulk of the change comes later.
post #263 of 319 Old 03-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The mathematical problem is that no one can show it will in fact keep warming to 2 instead of 3 degrees.
Just some quick thoughts:

The best available science has provided estimates for the emissions pathway necessary to keep anthropogenic warming below various thresholds -- we may disagree on the strength of the best available science, but it is what we have to go on. In one way I agree with you: if you look at the uncertainty distribution, we are more likely to be underestimating future warming than overestimating -- hence we cannot say that a particular path will be enough. Where it appears we disagree is I interpret that to mean we need to be more proactive, not less.

post #264 of 319 Old 03-05-2019

Quote:
.... Where it appears we disagree is I interpret that to mean we need to be more proactive, not less.
Proactive to adapt, for sure.

The house is burning. It needs 1000 gallons of water just to delay it's burning to the ground, it can't be stopped. We have 2 gallons and are proactively trying to put 4 gallons on it. That's the best analogy I can give of my point.

Better get out. Rather than spend all of our time and money on the extra water, spend it on an exit plan. Adapt.

Actually, I'm beginning to hear discussions on NPR that are trending toward my point and are less focused on being able to "stop" climate change. Stopping it and reversing it were mainstream Global Warming talking points just a handful of years ago. Most (who accept climate is changing) are coming to realize that isn't going to happen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #265 of 319 Old 03-05-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Full agreement here. You are right that we are locked into significant warming already -- avoiding 1.5 or 2C warming is wildly optimistic -- and those impacts are meaningful. My point was simply the difference between business as usual and lower emission pathways will reduce the necessary level of adaptation in our lifetime -- not just our grandchildren. You are of course correct that the bulk of the change comes later.
Well, I guess it depends on how old each of us is today .

A good analogy is that of a braking train, or even better, a slowing container ship. If there is a pending collision, throwing the engines into reverse may not avert the hit, but its still worth the effort b/c it will make the impact less.

I disagree with the position that says were already doomed, so why bother do anything to reduce our current contribution of green house gasses. But I think its important to recognize that were going to collide (to carry on my analogy). How hard is still up to us.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 15.58.25 .png   Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 15.47.13 .png  

BLOG:
post #266 of 319 Old 03-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Well, I guess it depends on how old each of us is today .

A good analogy is that of a braking train, or even better, a slowing container ship. If there is a pending collision, throwing the engines into reverse may not avert the hit, but its still worth the effort b/c it will make the impact less.

I disagree with the position that says were already doomed, so why bother do anything to reduce our current contribution of green house gasses. But I think its important to recognize that were going to collide (to carry on my analogy). How hard is still up to us.

Mike, I don't mean to drag this out, since you and I are in clear agreement, but I think it is easier to see the difference with a shorter time axis. The scenarios have diverged by 2040 or so. From IPCC AR5...
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 9.44.32 PM.png  
post #267 of 319 Old 03-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Proactive to adapt, for sure.

The house is burning. It needs 1000 gallons of water just to delay it's burning to the ground, it can't be stopped. We have 2 gallons and are proactively trying to put 4 gallons on it. That's the best analogy I can give of my point.

Better get out. Rather than spend all of our time and money on the extra water, spend it on an exit plan. Adapt.

Actually, I'm beginning to hear discussions on NPR that are trending toward my point and are less focused on being able to "stop" climate change. Stopping it and reversing it were mainstream Global Warming talking points just a handful of years ago. Most (who accept climate is changing) are coming to realize that isn't going to happen.
This isn't an either or. No we can't stop it. Yes we have to adapt. But still we can and should reduce it.

RCP8.5, which represents a relatively conservative business-as-usual pathway, predicts warming of ~5C by the end of the century. For comparison, that is roughly the same global mean temperature change as the difference between the last glacial period and this interglacial (which, by the way, happened over thousands of years, not a couple of centuries). In other words, that level of warming means a dramatically different world. Personally, I think it would be foolhardy to put all our eggs in the adaptation basket.
post #268 of 319 Old 03-06-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Mike, I don't mean to drag this out, since you and I are in clear agreement, but I think it is easier to see the difference with a shorter time axis. The scenarios have diverged by 2040 or so. From IPCC AR5...
Actually, I was looking for this shorter term graph, but missed it. Thanks.

Like I say, its clear that we should start today to make changes (we should have started 30 years ago when serious alarm bell were already ringing). But I also think its important that we be honest and clear. We are locked into a certain amount of climate change consequence, and theres not much we can do about it in the short to medium term.

One of the things that irks me about so much of the environmental messaging is how they lay out the risks and predicted dangers, but then always put a pollyanna spin on the message in the end. People are left with this juvenile notion that if we all just change a few lightbulbs, or recycle some paper and plastic, that everything will be ok. And more importantly, none of us has to change our lifestyles or our consumption rates.

Bullcocky.

To achieve RCP4.5 requires significant changes on our part. And that means we must use less, and live smaller. But this is something few of us are even willing to contemplate, let alone act on. I see a lot of discussion, and a few focused success stories, but mostly I see business as usual here in the developed world most especially here in North America.

BLOG:
post #269 of 319 Old 03-06-2019
Captain Obvious

Even in the midst of our current orgy of full on carbon emissions, plastic pollution and consumerism - CPAC is screaming that " they" are going to take away all cows, cars, airplanes etc. So, if total capitulation to greed doesn't get us peace and harmony, then politeness and compromise aren't going to either. I think future generations will quite correctly judge this generation extremely harshly, on the level with the segregationists,exploiters and conspiracy nuts of the past, or at best as moral equivalents of " good Germans" prior to WW2. We see the disaster coming, but we don't do anything about it. Of course we wish we could politely convince everyone, but that isn't possible. We can probably drag most of them along. Minne is an example of a person slowly and incrementally agreeing. And he is right that this probably isn't a productive conversation here.

But - nationally, the sooner we realize that we have to just confront this issue, and all the subterfuge and deniers, the better off we will all be.
Minnesail likes this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 03-06-2019 at 05:58 AM.
post #270 of 319 Old 03-06-2019
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Even in the midst of our current orgy of full on carbon emissions, plastic pollution and consumerism - CPAC is screaming that " they" are going to take away all cows, cars, airplanes etc. So, if total capitulation to greed doesn't get us peace and harmony, then politeness and compromise aren't going to either. I think future generations will quite correctly judge this generation extremely harshly, on the level with the segregationists,exploiters and conspiracy nuts of the past, or at best as moral equivalents of " good Germans" prior to WW2. We see the disaster coming, but we don't do anything about it. Of course we wish we could politely convince everyone, but that isn't possible. We can probably drag most of them along. Minne is an example of a person slowly and incrementally agreeing. And he is right that this probably isn't a productive conversation here.

But - nationally, the sooner we realize that we have to just confront this issue, and all the subterfuge and deniers, the better off we will all be.
Actually, blame your great grandparents and grandparents generation. They invented the car, the plane and other fossil fuel modes of transport. In the process they ripped out green transport like trolley bushes and trams and horse drawn carts and set up the current fossil fuel powered transportation system that we are stuck with today. They even switched from high density urban housing to suburbs meaning that the vast majority of the Western world needs to own or otherwise use fossil fuel powered transport just to go about their daily lives. And then they need to consume additional gobs of power to run their oversized homes whilst consuming, consuming, consuming because our great grandparents and grandparents invented mass marketing and consumerism, too.

We're just the meat in the sandwich. We really are. We can't even claim to be the first generation to be aware of the issue. This was known a century ago. And we can't claim to be the generation to fix it because we don't have the technology to do so. The only sure fire fix is to turn of the lights, reset average life expectancy to 30 and return to caves.

Unless "we" want to do that (I certainly don't) adapting is the only way to move forward until the appropriate technologies are (if ever) developed.

Sent from my SGP521 using Tapatalk
Sal Paradise likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in