Will climate change change your sailing plans - Page 28 - SailNet Community
 232Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #271 of 319 Old 03-06-2019
Captain Obvious

Re: Will climate change change your sailing plans

We live in the Information Age where all of human knowledge is at our fingertips. We have solar power and wind power, and for a while natural gas. There is no excuse.

So, I don't see it as blaming our grandparents who never had those things as much as our government and quasi state media ( Fox News) that uses ignorance and turns our fellow citizens against us.
SanderO and TomMaine like this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 319 Old 03-06-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefMagnet View Post
...We're just the meat in the sandwich. We really are. We can't even claim to be the first generation to be aware of the issue. This was known a century ago. And we can't claim to be the generation to fix it because we don't have the technology to do so.
It’s true that climate science first began ringing the alarm bells more than 50 years ago (1956 when Keeling measures the rise in CO2). But as with all good science, they began softly and cautiously at first. By the late 80s however, there was a clear picture of what was going on. And there was a growing agreement ACROSS ALL SOCIETAL LINES that action needed to be taken.

It was at this point that the issue got intertwined with political identity, first in the USA, which then spreading around the developed world. Of course, it was not by accident that this happened. It was purposely fed by the masters of misdirection and misinformation, funded and supported by the industries at risk.

It was only then that political controversy became the driving force, or rather the stalling force. Until then all political sides were substantively in agreement as to the nature of the issue, and what needed to be done. But once the money started flowing from the fossil fuel industry, it suddenly became a controversy.

So if you’re looking for a generation or a group to blame, this is a good point in history to use.

But I don’t think blame is very productive or useful. Regardless of the past, we all face the reality of anthropogenic climate change NOW. We can’t change the past, all we can do is affect the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefMagnet View Post
The only sure fire fix is to turn of the lights, reset average life expectancy to 30 and return to caves. Unless "we" want to do that (I certainly don't) adapting is the only way to move forward until the appropriate technologies are (if ever) developed.
And here’s where the rubber really meets the road. We do have the ability to achieve RCP2.6, but it would require significant reduction in the resource use of those of us who use the most. I don’t think there is any scenario which would require us to reduce our "life expectancy to 30 and return to caves” — that is unhelpful hyperbole. But it is true that you and I, and likely everyone reading this, would need to reduce our lifestyle quite significantly.

I appreciate your honesty: you don’t want to do this. I actually think this is a perfectly legitimate response. I don’t agree with it, but I think it is one response that our societies can make. I just wish everyone were as honest as you.

ADD: I just came across this clip from the recent DAVOS meetings. I don’t agree with all aspects of this presentation, but it speaks to the honesty in which I would like ALL sides to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjsL...&frags=pl%2Cwn

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 03-06-2019 at 01:19 PM.
post #273 of 319 Old 03-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
It’s true that climate science first began ringing the alarm bells more than 50 years ago (1956 when Keeling measures the rise in CO2). But as with all good science, they began softly and cautiously at first. By the late 80s however, there was a clear picture of what was going on. And there was a growing agreement ACROSS ALL SOCIETAL LINES that action needed to be taken.
For the sake of clarity, the bells started ringing far before Keeling.

Fourier had described what became known as the greenhouse affect by 1824, and wrote papers on human's ability to change it by 1827. By 1896, Arrhenius had predicted the temperature impacts of a doubling of atmospheric CO2 -- in remarkable agreement with current estimates considering how little he was working with -- and sounded alarms about coal usage.

That being said, I agree with the rest of your points.

post #274 of 319 Old 03-06-2019 Thread Starter

The part I don’t get from Minnie’s posts is he’s an obviously an intelligent guy. Every time in my life when I switched from a high footprint object to a low or at least lower footprint solution I’ve been quite pleased by the lower operating costs and improvement in quality of life.
Be it a better HERS rating with better windows and insulation or better mpg car or better appliances or whatever I use in my day to day.
Similarly getting no utilities bills but rather a paycheck quarterly from them has been nice.
I like my sailboat. Yes I’m no martyr and use the AC on her time to time. But she’s taken me to many countries and back and forth to the US with rare engine noise.
Same with farming. Artificial fertilizers are expensive, per pound of protein beef is very expensive. Down here been eating goat, octopus, chicken, duck, lamb and fish. Tasty and way cheaper. The beef in the Caribbean sucks which is the initial reason we buy it very rarely.
That’s the thing with a bit of thought there’s no hardship to going to a more sustainable lifestyle.
If you travel a bit sure you have many places that don’t have the resources to take the first step. Dominica and other islands burn their garbage. We spent some time there at a orphanage with other salty dawgs. It’s tragic. But much of the world is leaving the good old USA behind. They are actively switching to sustainable solutions. Our children will live in a less competitive country and pay the penalty economically unless we get our act together and start engineering and executing these technologies. It will be like the country living in the steam engine world when the rest are zipping around with gas and electricity.
Look where you go to buy solar, which auto companies are switching their fleet in large percentage to electric, who using hydro, who has sensible building codes. Wake up Minnie don’t be a Luddite. We need the switch for economic reasons as well as the environment.
SanderO, TomMaine and Minnesail like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #275 of 319 Old 03-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
The part I don’t get from Minnie’s posts is he’s an obviously an intelligent guy. Every time in my life when I switched from a high footprint object to a low or at least lower footprint solution I’ve been quite pleased by the lower operating costs and improvement in quality of life........

Wake up Minnie don’t be a Luddite. We need the switch for economic reasons as well as the environment.
Out, sort of on the rude side for you. I'm surprised.

I'm also surprised you see my point so narrowly. I've specifically encouraged adoption of these new technologies for the sake of air quality and agree that economic reasons are just fine too. Why do you miss that?

However, I see no math that says they are going to head off climate change!! I see no way we are going to get the planet to pull off the kind of reduction necessary to affect the climate soon enough. What I'm hoping for is that everyone else wakes up and realizes we need to adapt to a future, where the climate is going to change. To be rude myself, I find it self-indulgent and arrogant that people extol wind and solar and drive hybrids and pat each other on the back and proclaim they have a superior understanding of the climate science and these things will fix the problem. Do them for other reasons, but the real waste of time has been the distraction that they are going to head off climate change. You do realize that China emits more CO than the US and EU combined. Then, the US, EU and China combined are only half the planet's human emissions. The math doesn't work. By focusing so heavily on mitigation, we're leaving the task of adaptation to our children. Adaptation is going to take well more than seawalls. It's going to change world power. Please tell me you at least understand my position, because your posts suggest you don't. I'll make no effort to convince you of it.

You even accused me of being a anthropogenic denier, which I've never been, nor claimed. Not even in the posts you've referenced. I think it's also destructive, limited and useless to simply look for others to blame.
mbianka likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 03-07-2019 at 06:53 AM.
post #276 of 319 Old 03-07-2019

If humans are part of the problem... then then need to be part of the solution. I don't think humans are unwilling to adapt... they have no choice. One way is to reconsider development of property along the ocean and wet lands. Fire Island is not a sustainable or sensible place for homes. They will be reclaimed by the sea long before the ice caps grow and ocean level drop.

Civilization concentrated along the ocean because of commerce. Transport of goods and people using water was the most efficient / economical. We still use the sea for transport of almost all products from continent to continent and even within one nation. This will likely not change and so if / when oceans rise the mercantile system will have to adapt... and they will.

Can humans change their behaviors enough to lessen their impact on the atmosphere and the oceans? I think so... but it will be a very long time scale process not unlike climate changing. No reason not to do something. Makes no sense to take the approach that natural climate cycles occur regardless so don't bother to do anything.

Air has been cleaned up in many big cities by humans reversing their former bad behavior. And that's good.

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/2...TwV76Rns_MuYUU
TomMaine and Sal Paradise like this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 03-07-2019 at 08:48 AM.
post #277 of 319 Old 03-07-2019
Captain Obvious

There were very valid arguments against all large scale human advancements. I'm going out of my way to avoid provocative moral examples right now, although climate change is a moral issue. In terms of technical arguments, the push back against automobiles, from people who could not see that horses were doomed as a transport mode. They had many good points about the safety of horses versus cars. Wrong side of history, guys. Jane Jacobs versus Robert Moses. Robert Moses was at the top of his game and had every logical argument when Jane Jacobs defeated him. But he was on the wrong side morally and otherwise and history has not been kind to him. In 1963 when Kennedy ordained the moon landing, we did not have all the technological answers. We had computers that ran on mechanical switches and vacuum hoses, all the computers of NASA combined had less power than my phone, by an order of magnitude. They shouldn't have been able to do it. But they did.

The climate change issue is the same -once we understand the imperative we have to go forth and set the goal, without all the answers and then use our talents and solve the issues one at a time, with the faith and confidence that let us put a man on the moon.

I don't think I can do any better than this post within this thread and so I'm going out of this thread while I'm on a high note. Ciao!
SanderO, outbound and ThereYouAre like this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 03-07-2019 at 09:42 AM.
post #278 of 319 Old 03-07-2019 Thread Starter

Minnie I apologize. But I really enjoy your posts and in general struck by their logic. Still the basic point still holds. Yes we need to take the threat seriously and like the Dutch build infra structure to mitigate the impacts of coastal flooding from storms and sea rise. Even Hoboken sees this. There’s no argument there. But we still need to be forward thinking. When thinking about conversion to a lower carbon society you’re looking at decades. Hell, even putting seatbelts in most cars took that long. We can walk and chew gum. Especially when not walking means we get hit by a truck and chewing gum leads to a more pleasant life.
Simple example is transport. You go to Europe and you can get to the smallest village by train. Public transport actually works. In my local area I can’t use public transport. It’s scheduled times don’t work for me, it’s expensive and all too often doesn’t run. So around Boston thousands of trucks and cars sit idleling. Waste of time, money and huge pollution. Governments response- widen the roads, the big dig etc.
Plastic- beyond the huge increase in sargasso you see plastic. Some islands have banned it where they can. Others not. Yes the amount of garbage on all the islands is unfortunate but there’s an obvious difference between those that have tried to limit petro based plastic and those that haven’t. Minnie won’t back down on the basic point. You can do both mitigate and decrease impact. Makes sense to do both-economically, environmentally and quality of life.
SanderO likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #279 of 319 Old 03-07-2019
Old soul

The issue comes down to how much effort we are willing to put into something that has a payoff, at best, many decades down the road. We can make the changes required to achieve carbon stabilization and then slow de-carbonization. But it will require significant changes in how we live, mostly in the developed and developing world.

The issue is not, can we do this. The issues it is, do we want to. As a previous poster put clearly, he is not willing to sacrifice today for the benefit of a distant tomorrow.

We can achieve RPC2.6, but it means significant change in the way we live. If action is taken to show intent, few of us are actually willing to make the changes necessary.

I think humanity will change, but only when the pain for the current generation exceeds the alternative of doing nothing. Weíre not there yet ó at least not for most of us in rich developed countries. We can continue to insulate ourselves, and we can continue to buy our way out of the growing problem. But this canít last forever.
SanderO likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #280 of 319 Old 03-07-2019

And here I thought "the market" in its infinite and efficient wisdom was going to have all of this sorted.
Sal Paradise likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in