Is it windier? - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 05-05-2019 Thread Starter

Is it windier?

Maybe this will turn into the usual CC knocking heads but I hope not.
Iím relatively new to long term Eastern Caribbean cruising so donít feel I have an adequate sample over time. Still since 2013 every year it seems windier. I look at the usual gribs and watch Chris and it seems this is true both for the windwards and leewards but more apparent the further south you are. Is this a simple bump in the road or am I going to be in high teens low twenties most days even not counting gusts and compression zones.
Whalerus likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-05-2019

Re: Is it windier?

I'm not sure about it being windier, but high teens low twenties is about what we've always experienced in the East Caribe since the 90's. Particularly now. Summer will bring some lower winds, but these are called the trade winds for a reason.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 05-05-2019

Dock

The Trade Winds are windy. All of the time.
I felt it had a cumulative effect and by my last years I was getting a bit annoyed by it. But I don't think it's getting stronger.
I had a large wall clock in my cabin about 5 feet from my head but I could never hear it tick in the Trades either Caribbean or Pacific, Indian Ocean. As soon as I head north out of the Trades like when I arrive in New York or Europe I have to take the clock out of the cabin because it's far too loud to sleep with.

Mark
SanderO likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #4 of 18 Old 05-05-2019

Did you get that clock so you could see it from the cockpit
post #5 of 18 Old 05-05-2019

Iím a fan of Jennifer Lawrence, a Rutgers meteorologist who specializes in wind currents.

Her take is that yes CC is changing our winds but you have to do some very serious statistical work to pick the signal out of the noise. She predicts this trend will get stronger over time, but as of now normal folks canít detect it.

She has given some pretty interesting talks which have been video taped and put on you tube. Smart lady, good info for sailors.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #6 of 18 Old 05-05-2019
Master Mariner

Actually, from my perspective, this is the kindest winter we've had since we arrived in 2011. Certainly not every day, but over all, the winds have been lighter than any of the past years.
Had you asked last year, I might have agreed with you, though we had two consecutive years of over enthusiastic Christmas Winds about 6 years back. Almost 5 months of 25 to 30 nearly every day! Ugh.
It may not be the worst year for weed, but I'm getting real tired of that stuff. It's getting harder and harder to catch anything but that damn effing salad! I'm pretty sure this is a new phenomenon for here.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #7 of 18 Old 05-05-2019
Old soul

CC does predict a general increase in average wind speeds, but whether this is detectable by specific humans over our brief period at sea (measured in a few decades at most), is doubtful.

However, it likely is possible to see these changes by comparing past editions of the various Pilot Charts of the oceans. These have been issued going back over a century now. Someone who has the time and inclination could probably track down and analyse the documents.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #8 of 18 Old 05-06-2019 Thread Starter

Guess Iím a wimp or getting old. Still miss having having all the rags up. Leaving tomorrow for Grenada in 5-7í. Wife preferred the sailing in the leewards but see theyíve had similar conditions for most of the last month. Thatís why I thought this year was different. Guess Iím wrong.
We both have liked the windwards better for the people, fruits, natural wonders and absence of the drunken holiday frame of mind. More live corals, waterfalls, nice hikes, cruisers

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #9 of 18 Old 05-06-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Guess I’m a wimp or getting old. Still miss having having all the rags up. Leaving tomorrow for Grenada in 5-7’. Wife preferred the sailing in the leewards but see they’ve had similar conditions for most of the last month. That’s why I thought this year was different. Guess I’m wrong.
We both have liked the windwards better for the people, fruits, natural wonders and absence of the drunken holiday frame of mind. More live corals, waterfalls, nice hikes, cruisers
I prefer the Windwards because there are no long channel bashes. Most sails are under 10 miles, and even at 15 or 16 (tacking, you know), you still have plenty of time to snorkel or explore ashore in a day at both anchorages. One of the truly great things down here is to sail in through the reefs in the Tobago Cays. So few do it, but it's very doable and really fun. One can sail into almost every other anchorage down here, which increases the fun for those of us who enjoy that kind of sailing. Only Clifton presents some degree of difficulty on a 50 footer in the height of the season.
The only real bash is Grenada to Carriacou, and we've avoided that lately by having our customers use the fast ferry.
The Windwards may have a bit more wind, but much of the sailing is behind islands and quite often the currents run favorably.
Good luck on your sail tomorrow. May you miss all the weed patches and catch some good fish. Don't forget lunch at the Creole Shack in St. George's and say hi to Shademan from Nikki and I.
We'll be headed south to Tyrrel sometime soon, and then on to Trinidad without a stop in Grenada. Better fishin on the windward side.
outbound likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #10 of 18 Old 05-06-2019

I think we all get a bit less risk tolerant as the years pass. Normal.
MarkofSeaLife and Morild like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in