Holy Water Levels, Again. - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 39 Old 05-16-2019

Re: Holy Water Levels, Again.

Agree Capt. I had to nearly use a ladder once to board..and I'm quite spry..was simply too high.
The only benefit..is that I'm less concerned about my marina dredging the channel for me...but honestly...I say that facetiously..
zeehag likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 Old 05-16-2019
Old soul

Here’s one site I like. Tons of GL data going back as long as data has been collected for the area. And easy to view various time segments.

https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/data/dash...GLD_HTML5.html
Arcb likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 39 Old 05-16-2019

Only half of the New York State Canal System will be opening up tomorrow morning at 7, due to the high waters: Notices and Alerts - New York State Canals
CalebD and Arcb like this.

post #14 of 39 Old 05-17-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Hmm. The dams are old, the flooding seems to be fairly new, at least on its current scale.
Think about how old the dams are, compared to the age of the Great Lakes. They really are a very, very contemporary alterations of the geography. Humans think of old, as it relates to our puny average lifespans, compared to the planet itself. No doubt, the development of surrounding wetlands is an impact too.

I don't fully understand the engineering, but I read there is human decisioning at play with the dam systems along the entire lake eco system, certainly not just Canada. I highly suspect that nature would be doing a much better job of sorting this out, if we weren't intentionally holding water back.

No doubt there are entire towns built in the way of where the water would naturally go, if the dams weren't there. Perhaps the problem is a naturally human one. We build stuff thinking the planet is going to stay just the way we found it. The form we found it in will not be perpetual, no matter what we do.
Arcb likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #15 of 39 Old 05-17-2019
1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Nice, what site do the numbers come off?
US Army Corps of Engineers:
https://www.lre.usace.army.mil/Missi...-Water-Levels/
Arcb likes this.

S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
post #16 of 39 Old 05-17-2019
1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Think about how old the dams are, compared to the age of the Great Lakes. They really are a very, very contemporary alterations of the geography. Humans think of old, as it relates to our puny average lifespans, compared to the planet itself. No doubt, the development of surrounding wetlands is an impact too.

I don't fully understand the engineering, but I read there is human decisioning at play with the dam systems along the entire lake eco system, certainly not just Canada. I highly suspect that nature would be doing a much better job of sorting this out, if we weren't intentionally holding water back.

No doubt there are entire towns built in the way of where the water would naturally go, if the dams weren't there. Perhaps the problem is a naturally human one. We build stuff thinking the planet is going to stay just the way we found it. The form we found it in will not be perpetual, no matter what we do.
I totally agree. Nowadays we control the flow of water for the simple reason that if we didn't, the downriver cities that were built to the modern days water edge would flood. The Great Lakes Basin is a great example of just this, if they release more water, then Montreal would have some serious flooding, and guess where many politicians have to work..but being a large city, it would be devastating to the city to flood once again as it did in 2017.
Arcb likes this.

S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
post #17 of 39 Old 05-17-2019

Up north we'll have access to more coves but I suspect most of our beaches will be underwater for the season.
Attached Thumbnails
c24_lakemihuron6monthforecast.jpeg  

"And furthermore I do not care for the way you are running this ship".
post #18 of 39 Old 05-17-2019 Thread Starter

I am in Montreal quite a bit. It's an interesting spot, being the highest naturally navigable spot on the St Lawrence system. It exists as it is because it was the furthest wooden sailing ships could reach into the great lakes system due to the Lachine Rapids, which is really what the lower locks on the seaway are circumventing. It's been permanently inhabited since 1642 and its first recorded flood was in December, 1642.

The area of Montreal that has been getting the worst of the flooding in recent years isn't really on the St Lawrence River. It's on the Ottawa River.

Not sure if I have a point, except that it's all complicated.
MikeOReilly likes this.
post #19 of 39 Old 05-17-2019
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

gotta love it. snow melts waters s rise folks living in homes built in flood plains flood... all normal. lotta snow? lotta flood. enjoy spring. at least ye has water.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #20 of 39 Old 05-17-2019 Thread Starter

I like these profile maps of the great lakes. This one shows the dams, which is kind of neat, there really aren't that many on the Great Lakes system itself, most are in tributaries leading into the St Lawrence system, like the Ottawa river.

The folks who were saying the dams are having an impact on the Thousand Islands area may have a point. The first dam after Lake Ontario, Iroquois, is basically right at the east end of the 1000 Islands and is a water level control dam.

However, there really aren't any dams that should effect water levels on Erie, Michigan or Huron. The big drop is Niagara Falls, the Niagara River isn't really dammed in the conventional sense. Basically there are sluice ways that divert water from the upper Niagara River around Niagara Falls to a big man made reservoir and then down through generating turbines, but this system is a diversion, its not really impeding the flow of the Niagara river or the lakes above it.

I added the red dot using paint to illustrate roughly where Montreal is on the system.
Attached Thumbnails
GL profile.png  
MikeOReilly and Minnesail like this.

Last edited by Arcb; 05-17-2019 at 01:57 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in