Holy Water Levels, Again. - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 Old 05-20-2019

Re: Holy Water Levels, Again.

This is hyper-local and not in the Great Lakes watershed, but there's a lot of water in Minnesota too. The little lake I keep my boat on empties into Minnehaha Creek, which forms Minnehaha Falls (of Longfellow's Song of Hiawatha fame), and the water flow has been over three times the median value all spring. We're soggy.
Attached Thumbnails
USGS.05289800.74490.00060..20190420.20190520.log.0.p50.png  

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 05-21-2019
1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
This is hyper-local and not in the Great Lakes watershed, but there's a lot of water in Minnesota too. The little lake I keep my boat on empties into Minnehaha Creek, which forms Minnehaha Falls (of Longfellow's Song of Hiawatha fame), and the water flow has been over three times the median value all spring. We're soggy.
That is a lot of change...now imagine that over an entire region, and you understand why the levels are what they are. Checking our local forecast this morning show rain for 5 out of the next 6 days...my boat is going to float right off the stands if this keeps up...ok not really but you get my drift.

Minne….On a quick sidestep, how is the new daysailer working out for the club that you picked up here in Michigan, has anyone taken it out yet??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
post #33 of 39 Old 05-21-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
That is a lot of change...now imagine that over an entire region, and you understand why the levels are what they are. Checking our local forecast this morning show rain for 5 out of the next 6 days...my boat is going to float right off the stands if this keeps up...ok not really but you get my drift.
Yeah, there’s a bike path along the Mississippi that I sometimes take to work. Usually in the spring it gets covered by a foot or two of water and is impassable for a couple weeks. This year it was under eight feet of water and has been closed for over a month.

I have a friend with a 50’ power boat. She had to scramble to launch it early this year, because the storage yard at the marina was going to be underwater.

I’m reading about flooding downstream in Illinois and Mississippi and Louisiana and I’m thinking “keep your sandbags up, we’re sending a bunch more water your way.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
Minne….On a quick sidestep, how is the new daysailer working out for the club that you picked up here in Michigan, has anyone taken it out yet??
They put it in on the 11th, but I was out of town and wasn’t able to help. I know they’ve gotten a couple sails in and it sounds like it’s been great, but I haven’t been able to get to it. I hoping to try it out on Saturday. I don’t think anyone has dared test the spinnaker yet Thanks for asking!

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

post #34 of 39 Old 05-22-2019

This all sounds quite serious. Here is another take on the problem - at least in marinas that can still function:
The Following User Says Thank You to paulk For This Useful Post:
DeepDish (05-30-2019)
post #35 of 39 Old 05-22-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
This all sounds quite serious. Here is another take on the problem - at least in marinas that can still function:...........
That was immediately forwarded to several sailing buddies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #36 of 39 Old 05-23-2019

Stinkpotters...

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #37 of 39 Old 05-23-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Minne-
What Arcb said. In Chicago, they announced a 2-year plan about two years ago, to mitigate climate change. New paving is supposed to be done with a porous concrete, which will allow rainwater to seep directly into the ground instead of pooling or running off and flooding low areas. But, porous concrete and other "simple" solutions cost money.
In the last decade as home prices have come back up, every bit of lowland and swamp has been built up, minimal money spent on anything out of sight (like drainage) and between that and a slight weather shift, any plans the ACE made for flood control 50 years ago are totally trashed.
I expect large parts of the US south and east coast will become like Bangladesh: Places that should have been left as swamp, but the only places that poor people could afford to go. So, they will perennially be flooded out. Chicago raised their downtown street level one whole story after the Chicago Fire, to elevate it out of the swamp. Seattle did the same thing in what is now Old Town and Underground Seattle. And apparently Chattanooga did something similar after the Civil War, that's mainly undocumented.
These days people expect the Federal Funding Fairy will pay for it all, but they're getting rude surprises. And this is nothing new, really. There are towns, cities, in Europe that were great ports in the middle ages--and now are miles from the shore. Some continue as vigorous towns. Others, like Venice, are having to make hard choices today.
Spidersloveboats likes this.
post #38 of 39 Old 05-23-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
....... And this is nothing new, really. There are towns, cities, in Europe that were great ports in the middle ages--and now are miles from the shore. Some continue as vigorous towns. Others, like Venice, are having to make hard choices today.
You’re exactly right. It start arguments, when this point is made. The shoreline will continue to change. Period. Plan for it, stop kidding ourselves we’ll stop it. Slowing down the inevitable is best case and still the odds are strongly against even pulling that off.
Spidersloveboats likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #39 of 39 Old 05-23-2019
1968 Columbia 50

It's not just the Great Lakes. This drydocked WWII submarine floated off it's stands..in Oklahoma of all places.

S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in