Holy Water Levels, Again. - SailNet Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Holy Water Levels, Again.

Water levels on the lower great lakes, Trent Severn, Ottawa River and St Lawrence are something else this year. In some areas the 2017 flood levels have already been exceeded.

Newsworthy from a boating and sailing perspective is the Ottawa River has been closed to all non emergency boat traffic for 400 km! All boats, canoes, kayaks, sailboats, tour boats.

There are a bunch of yacht clubs and marinas along this stretch including several big Ottawa yacht and sailing clubs.

My boats on a trailer, soI will be looking for other options this coming long week end (will likely head to some lakes on higher ground).

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...protect-whales
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Holy Water Levels, Again.

Iíve read arguments over flood control, but havenít studied the situation. I know a few with places in the thousand island area, who get worked up. Seems like we should be able to move the water out to sea more effectively. I know mankind has screwed with the eco system here (dams, canals, basins, etc), I just donít understand how they impact. Indeed, there has been a lot of rainfall, but still.
Arcb likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Agree even WAY over here on the Chesapeake. Here's a pic of my Dufour 31 nearly popping over the pier. I have another pic that was within a few inches.
Attached Thumbnails
4-18 Dump 019.jpg  
Rhapsody-NS27 and Arcb like this.

post #4 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I know mankind has screwed with the eco system here (dams, canals, basins, etc), I just donít understand how they impact. Indeed, there has been a lot of rainfall, but still.
I have read this is a factor. My understanding is construction on/development of wetlands and flood plains reduce natures ability to absorb flood water, which I guess leaves it with no where to go but the natural choke points like the Lachine Rapids in Montreal and Chaudierre Falls in Ottawa.

It seems to me though, like in 2017, there is a lot of water. I understand the cold winter caused for a greater than normal amount of snow melt (the St Lawrence watershed goes pretty far north). Seems that is a contributing factor.

Here are a couple of clips from the news.

This one is down town Ottawa, so down stream of Lake Deschennes where sailing is popular. Apparently this bridge is going to be closed for quite a while.

Here's a 100 year old dam on a tributary to the Ottawa that was over topped for the first time.

elliowb likes this.
post #5 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago
1968 Columbia 50

And it is only going to go higher...and to think that 6 years or so ago we were really worried about the levels dropping to historic lows..I remember Lake Michigan dropped 8" in one month(August)

Difference from average water level for Apr 10, 2019 (inches*)
Lake Michigan +5
Lake Superior +8
Lake Huron +12
Lake Erie +11
lake Ontario +20

Levels on Lake Superior and Lake Erie are expected to break records set in the 1980's sometime during the next six months, according to the Army Corpsí Detroit district office. Army Corp officials said they forecast expect ďdefiniteĒ record high levels for St. Clair and Erie in May.
Arcb likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
post #6 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Old soul

Itís another bad year indeed. Ottawa area is indeed awash. And most of the Great Lakes are forecast to peak at record, or near-record, levels. It could be worse than 2017.

The whole watershed is saturated, and as Arcb says, one of the main issues seems to be the degradation of natural holding basins like wetlands. The other seems to be the changing moisture patterns due to climate change.

We left Lake Ontario in 2017. Our little marina was awash. Most launches were delayed that year. We sailed out the St. Lawrence in July of that year. We encounter high water and much higher river currents all the way past Montreal. Kinda nice for our speeds/distances, but made anchoring in some areas rather tricky.

You folks have my sympathy.
Arcb likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #7 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I can confirm the Chesapeake levels are way higher than normal. My boat is on the hard, but my friend's boat was so high on the pilings that you had to step *over* the ladder to get on the platform on the back of his boat. Usually it's 2-3 steps down the ladder. The water was close to even to the pier. No wonder they put in the first floating dock this year!
post #8 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post

Difference from average water level for Apr 10, 2019 (inches*)
Lake Michigan +5
Lake Superior +8
Lake Huron +12
Lake Erie +11
lake Ontario +20

Nice, what site do the numbers come off?
post #9 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Lose the dams?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #10 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Hmm. The dams are old, the flooding seems to be fairly new, at least on its current scale. Canada is the second largest producer of hydro electric power in the world (after China). There are a lot of dams. Over 160 in Quebec alone. Plus there is the St Lawrence Seaway; grain from the midwest, steel to motor city, cement, road salt...

I have read some interesting stuff about spillways being built around dams for extreme events. The stuff I read seemed to suggest it might not work out in the St Lawrence and Ottawa Valleys though, due to them being very deep and old valleys through old mountain ranges. I am always curious to read more ideas though. I find water works to be a fascinating topic (my Dad was a dam builder).

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in