Dorian taking aim at us here on East coast of Florida - Page 14 - SailNet Community
 180Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #131 of 186 Old 3 Days Ago

Dock
Re: Dorian taking aim at us here on East coast of Florida

Lol so I notice CNN calls people morons who make mistakes... So CNN has just proved itself a moron?

Attached Thumbnails
20190905_220426.jpg  

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 186 Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Lol so I notice CNN calls people morons who make mistakes... So CNN has just proved itself a moron?

The consistent thread is they made both claims solely for ratings. Perhaps for different reasons.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #133 of 186 Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post

Literally speaking, I don't recall CNN ever calling anyone a moron for making a mistake.

The big difference here is that CNN will typically admit their mistakes, apologize for them, determine root cause, and seek to improve so it does not happen again. By doing so they minimize the damage and can move on and contain the damage. You can expect to see such an admission from them soon. Only a fool would try to deny a proven fact.

Those who refuse to admit mistakes, double down on them, and/or create fraudulent information in an attempt to cover up their mistakes will permanently destroy their reputations, miss opportunities to improve, and turn little mistakes into big fiascos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The consistent thread is they made both claims solely for ratings. Perhaps for different reasons.
Not sure what you mean by "both claims." But I doubt that CNN gained a single rating point by mislabeling Alabama as Mississippi. Very dumb mistake, but I've seen far worse from many sources, and the main point of their headline was the expected impact to Florida and Georgia (at the time, almost a week ago). It was an early morning show on a holiday weekend, and I wouldn't be surprised if they had back-benchers and/or new college interns working in the graphics department. That's up for CNN to investigate and fix.

Also, I suspect that things go at a breakneck speed behind the scenes at all these news networks, and typos and other errors will always slip through. It happens, but the reputable places admit their errors, fix them, and move on.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

post #134 of 186 Old 3 Days Ago

Politics and kool aid
Thread killer
Minnewaska and MarkofSeaLife like this.
post #135 of 186 Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Politics and kool aid
Thread killer
Agreed. Let's drop the political references, photo shops, etc. Pounding away on a commercial media enterprise about there weather reporting is not political.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #136 of 186 Old 3 Days Ago

Drift..
following...forecasts showing gabrielle and the 2 yellow Xs shown on nhc will not be a prob.
But keep an eye out
The Following User Says Thank You to RegisteredUser For This Useful Post:
chef2sail (3 Days Ago)
post #137 of 186 Old 3 Days Ago

Huh.

The most popular and most followed government Twitter account gives a serious warning that is hundreds of miles off base, and doesn't correct or update that warning. And that's supposed to be OK.

OK.
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #138 of 186 Old 3 Days Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Wave height predicted 32 ft at Frying Pan Shoals and Hatterass Buoys

The forecast of weather is not exact science . Predicting movement in a fluid like the atmosphere is difficult at best, and is a probability prediction. It can never be exact by its nature with too many variables. Expecting it to be is unrealistic.

The media is different from the NHC. I’m not talking about the media here.

So the forecast of the catastrophic storm came 100 miles from the eye actually hitting Florida. What or who could predict that margin of era. They had to move resources somewhere based on predictions. I think they have done a fine job or supplying the information.

It gets tiring listen to the criticisms of the forecast. If you think there is a better system....step forward with it.
None of you Monday morning quarterbacks who criticize the forecast ( not the news hype) has the knowledge or scientific data the predictors have. Don’t tell me ANY of you predicted the stall of 36 hours in one spot. Those of you who find fault with the reports and info coming from the NHC, what is the alternative...no predictions?

Weather forecasting and hurricane movement , this is the best we have now, which in the last 50 years has made unbelievable strides forward. Today they were spotting the tornadoes and potentials long before they occurred in the outer bands in the NW quadrant. I remind you this was not possible 20 years ago.

My hearts out to the Bahamas. Humans cannot control the weather. The devastation is not the NHC fault nor is it the news media’s fault. It is the weathers fault. No matter how much warning they had....the people in the Bahamas were not leaving. They were at the mercy of Dorian.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #139 of 186 Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Wave height predicted 32 ft at Frying Pan Shoals and Hatterass Buoys

The forecast of weather is not exact science . Predicting movement in a fluid like the atmosphere is difficult at best, and is a probability prediction. It can never be exact by its nature with too many variables. Expecting it to be is unrealistic.

The media is different from the NHC. I’m not talking about the media here.

So the forecast of the catastrophic storm came 100 miles from the eye actually hitting Florida. What or who could predict that margin of era. They had to move resources somewhere based on predictions. I think they have done a fine job or supplying the information.

It gets tiring listen to the criticisms of the forecast. If you think there is a better system....step forward with it.
None of you Monday morning quarterbacks who criticize the forecast ( not the news hype) has the knowledge or scientific data the predictors have. Don’t tell me ANY of you predicted the stall of 36 hours in one spot. Those of you who find fault with the reports and info coming from the NHC, what is the alternative...no predictions?

Weather forecasting and hurricane movement , this is the best we have now, which in the last 50 years has made unbelievable strides forward. Today they were spotting the tornadoes and potentials long before they occurred in the outer bands in the NW quadrant. I remind you this was not possible 20 years ago.

My hearts out to the Bahamas. Humans cannot control the weather. The devastation is not the NHC fault nor is it the news media’s fault. It is the weathers fault. No matter how much warning they had....the people in the Bahamas were not leaving. They were at the mercy of Dorian.
As I mentioned to you in a PM, I think you misunderstood Minnesail's post.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #140 of 186 Old 3 Days Ago

Pretty neat view of the eye of the hurricane passing over Edisto buoy:

Attached Thumbnails
Edisto.JPG  
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in