Dorian taking aim at us here on East coast of Florida - Page 19 - SailNet Community
 180Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Dorian taking aim at us here on East coast of Florida

There was an easterly flow from the NW quadrant of Dorian for two days successively driving water into the mouth of the Chessie for 4 successive high tides and preventing it from exiting. That coupled with rain caused the high tides. The tides were predicted. Waxing gibbous of the moon didn’t contribute as it was in its 9th day past a new moon.

I noticed our boat unusually high and Annapolis City Dock had minor flooding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Looks like its going to hite Nova Scotia as a category 2. That seems unusual.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5870123/h...n-nova-scotia/
A bit, not much. About 20 years ago a hurricane eye rolled right into Halifax harbor. We had Igor in Newfoundland more recently, not a wind event but heavy rain did a lot of damage, stranded entire towns, and swept away one person.

Watching Dorian Head North at the moment. It was bigger on the S and W coast. Here it was a little wind and rain.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ada_hurricanes

Quote:

Damage left by Juan.
September 29, 2003: Hurricane Juan is sometimes considered Atlantic Canada's most widely destructive hurricane in over a century. Juan killed 8 and caused over $200 million in damage. Power outages in Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island left over 300,000 Canadians without power for two weeks. Many marinas were destroyed and many small fish craft were damaged or sank. Hurricane-force gusts were reported as far out as 100 miles (160 km) on either side of Juan at landfall with an astounding peak gust of 144 mph (229 km/h) (equivalent to a Category 4 hurricane) recorded in Halifax Harbour, although it was a Category 2 at landfall with 100 mph (160 km/h) sustained winds.[26]
MarkofSeaLife and Arcb like this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Last edited by hpeer; 1 Day Ago at 06:38 AM.
post #183 of 186 Unread 20 Hours Ago
Old soul

I’m weathering Dorian here on the NE side of Newfoundland in Lewisporte (which Hpeer knows well). So far so good. We’ve seen sustained 40s, into 50s at times, but no surge and the marina seems well built.

As long as my lines remain in place and the fenders last I should be OK. But we just had our first near-casualty when a foresail tried to unfurl. A bunch of us got there in time to get it re-wrapped.

Fun fun...

ADD: The foresail was on another boat … not mine.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 19 Hours Ago at 06:08 PM.

post #184 of 186 Unread 11 Hours Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
I’m weathering Dorian here on the NE side of Newfoundland in Lewisporte (which Hpeer knows well). So far so good. We’ve seen sustained 40s, into 50s at times, but no surge and the marina seems well built.

As long as my lines remain in place and the fenders last I should be OK. But we just had our first near-casualty when a foresail tried to unfurl. A bunch of us got there in time to get it re-wrapped.

Fun fun...

Goood to hear your safe.
MikeOReilly likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #185 of 186 Unread 8 Hours Ago

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
But we just had our first near-casualty when a foresail tried to unfurl. A bunch of us got there in time to get it re-wrapped.

Fun fun...

Good on you for going to help!

It's not so pleasent to leave the safety of your boat to help someone who didn't bother to properly prepare theirs.

Well done
MikeOReilly likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #186 of 186 Unread 7 Hours Ago
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Good on you for going to help!

It's not so pleasent to leave the safety of your boat to help someone who didn't bother to properly prepare theirs.

Well done
Thanks Mark. I had too — it would have kept me awake all night (until it shredded) . Kidding of course. Boaters help boaters. It’s what we all do.

It was kinda fun (in retrospect — not at the time). The threatened boat was right beside one from northern Europe. I didn’t have time to catch the exact location, but their team of three got there just ahead of me, and already had a plan. We all worked together, but most of the instructions were in a language unfamiliar to me. This was interspersed with “Newfaneese” from the other local sailors, which can also be as hard to understand.

But we ‘got er done.’

Wind has dropped down to civil levels now (20, gusts to 30 knots maybe). I sure as heck never want to face more than a Cat II hurricane.
MarkofSeaLife and Minnesail like this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in