'Nother One - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 37 Old 09-10-2019

Re: 'Nother One

I did a delivery from CT to Brazil in August. We did get hit by a tropical low which developed into a cane further north. We did the passage pretty quickly and stopped in Antigua and then made a run south hoping that if something developed we would be south of the EC by the time it would appear there. We may have been lucky. But beating along the long north coast of SA was no picnic!

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 Old 09-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
.....I still maintain that there is enough information available so that one shouldn't make that mistake. As you say, perhaps I've been lucky, but if so, it's been a very long lucky streak.
Best of luck to you Capta. You've probably developed more experience and intuition that 99+% of others will ever have the chance. It may be slightly dangerous to encourage the newbs, who have more courage than know how. Nevertheless, don't I recall reading that you've seen more than one hurricane up front and personal. That may be the lucky part.

Cheers. Be safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #23 of 37 Old 09-10-2019

I've been to the Caribbean and the Bahamas in the summer. My wife prefers the summer weather, which is more calm and the water even warmer. We've flown down each time, never aboard the boat. Always had an escape route that had us back in New England the next day. Big difference from a sailboat.

However, watching tropical weather developments from my comfy protected couch can be exhausting. It would be a real buzz kill to worry about being bug out ready all the time on the boat. I'm recalling when I decided to change fuel filters at anchor once and the filter house accidentally broke. I was SOL for a couple of days, trying to source the repair. I think I'd be constantly worried about events like that.

I'm not sure the absence of crowds does anything to overcome it. In fact, I wonder if the busy seasons are just safer and more fun. There definitely places on this planet, where I'd rather have folks around than be fully alone and isolated. There comes a point, when no activity is boring too. I go back and forth, like energy, then like solitude. Even in the notoriously busy BVIs, no winter crowd has ever been in the way of us having a great time. nor kept us from going anywhere we chose.
mbianka likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #24 of 37 Old 09-10-2019 Thread Starter

The models are a bit closer now but still not together at and past the leewards.
This is noaa 94L
post #25 of 37 Old 09-11-2019 Thread Starter

More agreement...
Storm hits top of leewards, forms hurricane after hittimg puerto rico, runs thru t&c and right up bahamas chain.
Im in george town exumas. Forecasts showing eye hits here end of next week. Great...
Yeah, will prob change...or not
post #26 of 37 Old 09-11-2019

Still a long way off to know. That's 10 days. Pure fiction for now. Hoping it doesn't play out that way.

Still, let's assume it plays out exactly as you describe. What do you do and when do you do it? Seems like no where to run, based on this forecast, unless you leave for Grenada now. If you wait till a few days out, then what?

Jeanneau 54DS

post #27 of 37 Old 09-11-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
More agreement...
Storm hits top of leewards, forms hurricane after hittimg puerto rico, runs thru t&c and right up bahamas chain.
Im in george town exumas. Forecasts showing eye hits here end of next week. Great...
Yeah, will prob change...or not
Hope it misses you and the Exumas. We charter there each spring and would hate to see it meet the same fate as Marsh Harbor.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

post #28 of 37 Old 09-11-2019

Is this worth it to sit in the box during the season, sweating what might happen 10 days from now? Seems like such a buzz kill. I think I made that point already above. Hope all are safe.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #29 of 37 Old 09-11-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Still a long way off to know. That's 10 days. Pure fiction for now. Hoping it doesn't play out that way.

Still, let's assume it plays out exactly as you describe. What do you do and when do you do it? Seems like no where to run, based on this forecast, unless you leave for Grenada now. If you wait till a few days out, then what?
If it holds, i leave sat for cooba. North or south coast, depending on conditions.
North entry port is about 150nm, south entry is about 350nm
post #30 of 37 Old 09-11-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Is this worth it to sit in the box during the season, sweating what might happen 10 days from now? Seems like such a buzz kill. I think I made that point already above. Hope all are safe.
Not a buzz kill at all, just what is going on. We choose.
Spent many years in tornado alley where there is little to no warning.
Wearher info we get now...is fantabulous.
Sure, the big mean bear can appear...just choose a different wood

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in