SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Weather (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/weather/)
-   -   Nor'easter Season (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/weather/331566-noreaster-season.html)

mbianka 10-08-2019 01:24 PM

Nor'easter Season

I was hoping to get one more small cruise in before the season ends. However, the weather forecast for this week shows the first Nor'easter developing off the coast. Gale conditions are expected later this week. A good sign that it's time to pull the boat for the season. Something that I'll be considering for next week.

From NOAA:
"This will produce a prolonged period of NE winds into Saturday, with the strongest
winds Thursday into Friday. Coastal locations could easily see gusts 30 to 40-kt during this time period, with the upper end being across far eastern areas of Long Island and southeast
Connecticut. In fact, the NAM has 60-80 kt NE LLJ just offshore of Montauk Point Friday morning."

Minnesail 10-08-2019 02:19 PM

Re: Nor'easter Season

Here in Minnesota I'm pulling my little boat on Monday.

We might get an inch of snow on Saturday, and I'm pretty excited about it! I've never sailed through snow before. Could be fun.

chef2sail 10-08-2019 03:23 PM

After spending the last 11 days on board on a small tour of the Chessie, this is depressing.

Normally we have until the second week in Dec before we winterize. This year however we are closing up on Nov, 5 as I am having my left knee replaced.

We are staying in the water and pulling out next May as we’ve got three years on our bottom paint. Which is mostly a ablated away😄, so I am looking for deals upcoming on Ultima 60.

This weekend looks like highs mid 70s and sun on a beautiful fall weekend.

Minnewaska 10-08-2019 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnesail (Post 2051630164)
....I've never sailed through snow before. Could be fun.

I have. We took a boarding wave too. Water temp was in the upper 30s. Not fun.

p.s. We were making a short 15 mile delivery in February. I didn’t have a change of clothes either. Ugh.

outbound 10-08-2019 09:11 PM

Some of the best sailing I’ve had in the northeast has been in November. Winds return to Massachusetts bay. Harbors are empty. Autumn is beautiful. Requirements are real heat not just reverse AC and leave with full fuel tanks. You can usually find fuel in commercial harbors or “harbors of rescue”. Fuel dock is our first stop even with 200g. We tend to wake before light and do breakfast. Leave at the crack of dawn and aim to be all settled down before dusk. Given harbors are so close together this is doable. It’s the best time to go to Block and the Elizabethians. Occasionally can get stripers or black bass moving south from Maine dragging plugs but fishing is usually lousy. Lobster is sweetest this time of year to my tastes which makes up for that.

Arcb 10-08-2019 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnesail (Post 2051630164)

We might get an inch of snow on Saturday, and I'm pretty excited about it! I've never sailed through snow before. Could be fun.

Snow is really not a big problem for sailing imo. It's ice that makes things challenging and ultimately closes my season. I usually make it into December on Lake Ontario, even when I had bigger boats, then the ice, especially near shore gets unmanageable in a fibreglass boat.

To me sailing in the snow feels peaceful, the snow seems to muffle sounds and make the world a quieter place. I guess there are a couple of issues. It can be slippery and it seems to impact visibility more than rain. Can be a bit like sailing in heavy fog.

I would try it out if the opportunity presents itself. A little bit of heat on below can make a big difference for warmth. If I am on a boat with a cabin I like to run my alcohol heater below, provided it isn't too rough.

HUGOSALT 10-09-2019 02:51 AM

With nor easter bearing down on us I sailed the boat today from my exposed mooring on Long Island sound to protected slip in Manhasset bay where, hopefully, we'll sail out of till end of December. But maybe not so much this week!
Was at least 15 boats anchored or on town guest moorings (free) in bay to wait out weather before continuing on their way south.

[QUOTE=outbound;2051630212]Some of the best sailing I’ve had in the northeast has been in November. Winds return to Massachusetts bay. Harbors are empty. Autumn is beautiful.

Yes! late Oct./Nov. and sometimes into Dec. Wonderful, just short 2-3 day cruises for me this time of year and great day sails.
Actually become a passenger on my own boat as I transform from mostly singlehanded summer sailor to a full crew of captains
as their boats are pulled. Then after our Christmas eve sail and my boats gets pulled we get to sail all winter on 1 or 2 friends boats and then we really have the sound to ourselves, except for an occasional seal the last few years.
Enjoy sailing while snowing, ice not so much.

SanderO 10-09-2019 06:06 AM

Sailed in the snow and it was interesting. No strong winds as I recall... just cold.

JimsCAL 10-09-2019 07:40 AM

I am being hauled today, then off to Vermont tomorrow for a week of leaf peeping.

Minnewaska 10-09-2019 07:59 AM

Looks like this one is just going to sit out there for a few days. We're expecting 30 to 40 kts sustained for a day or two. I suspect some of the Bay's more exposed marinas are going to take a punch.