SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Weather (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/weather/)
-   -   Northeast Bomb Cyclone (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/weather/331650-northeast-bomb-cyclone.html)

mbianka 10-16-2019 11:10 PM

Northeast Bomb Cyclone

A bomb cyclone is developing off Long Island tonight. Listening to the winds and checking on the Central Sound Buoy which last gave out data at 9:45 am this morning is not helpful. Checked New London data 31 mph sustained gust to 51. "she's coming on boys and she's coming on strong"

Maine Sail 10-17-2019 06:42 AM

Re: Northeast Bomb Cyclone

Just came back from the club, and as of 4:00 am, at least one boat was on shore. Already gusting 60+ and steady up into the 40’s.. Looks like a zombie apocalypse out there leaves, branches and pine needles everywhere. Power has been out since 3:00am... Like many a Nor’Easter we seem to be getting more than was predicted for..

Minnewaska 10-17-2019 07:10 AM

Second nor'easter in as many weeks here. Local weather buoy recorded 35 gusting 47 overnight. Looks like a forecast of 30 gusting 40 for most today. Knock on wood, all should be okay, except the more exposed marinas.

MarkofSeaLife 10-17-2019 08:01 AM

Equinoxial storm in the NE of the USA is the beginning of winter... So said some old fisherman to me.

And it's going to be a long cold winter!

JimsCAL 10-17-2019 08:21 AM

Gusts to 50 here in western LI Sound. I'm glad my boat got hauled last week and wasn't out on its mooring.

mbianka 10-17-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimsCAL (Post 2051631448)
Gusts to 50 here in western LI Sound. I'm glad my boat got hauled last week and wasn't out on its mooring.

I've got mixed feelings about my boats situation. I plan to leave the mast up this winter to build and fit a new sail cover so I'm somewhat glad it's still on the mooring. The boat and mast can swing while on the mooring. When it's on the hard there is more stress on the rigging in a wind. Of course I do worry about the mooring line and other boats breaking free.

mbianka 10-17-2019 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 2051631438)
Second nor'easter in as many weeks here. Local weather buoy recorded 35 gusting 47 overnight. Looks like a forecast of 30 gusting 40 for most today. Knock on wood, all should be okay, except the more exposed marinas.

Last night just before midnight everything got dead calm here in central Long Island felt like we were in the eye of a hurricane by 1 AM it was blowing in the 40's. I was worried about trees coming down. glad it calmed down by morning.

mbianka 10-17-2019 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife (Post 2051631444)
Equinoxial storm in the NE of the USA is the beginning of winter... So said some old fisherman to me.

And it's going to be a long cold winter!

Tis the season. :)

outbound 10-17-2019 11:38 AM

We have no grid power. House running on Koehler 30kw since 2am. Waves in pond 2-4’ last night. Some trees down. One hit neighbors car. We lost no trees. Had mini cyclone pass over but now in 20s gusts to 30s. Ptown had 90 gust. Had secured lawn stuff blown around although tied together to anchors.
Big wind. Gale conditions in Massachusetts Bay.

JimsCAL 10-17-2019 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimsCAL (Post 2051631448)

Update: Four boats in our fleet broke from their moorings and ended up on the beach. Our club docks and floats took a beating, with the main float gangway torn loose and at the bottom. Damage to the main float deck and end of main dock where the gangway attached. Similar damage to the dinghy float. We are exposed to the north and northwest so wind and waves must have been bad last night from that direction.