Northeast Bomb Cyclone - SailNet Community
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Northeast Bomb Cyclone

A bomb cyclone is developing off Long Island tonight. Listening to the winds and checking on the Central Sound Buoy which last gave out data at 9:45 am this morning is not helpful. Checked New London data 31 mph sustained gust to 51. "she's coming on boys and she's coming on strong"
SanderO and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying some Fall sailing while it lasts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Super Moderator

Re: Northeast Bomb Cyclone

Just came back from the club, and as of 4:00 am, at least one boat was on shore. Already gusting 60+ and steady up into the 40’s.. Looks like a zombie apocalypse out there leaves, branches and pine needles everywhere. Power has been out since 3:00am... Like many a Nor’Easter we seem to be getting more than was predicted for..

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #3 of 24 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Second nor'easter in as many weeks here. Local weather buoy recorded 35 gusting 47 overnight. Looks like a forecast of 30 gusting 40 for most today. Knock on wood, all should be okay, except the more exposed marinas.
MarkofSeaLife and mbianka like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 24 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Dock

Equinoxial storm in the NE of the USA is the beginning of winter... So said some old fisherman to me.

And it's going to be a long cold winter!

zeehag likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #5 of 24 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Gusts to 50 here in western LI Sound. I'm glad my boat got hauled last week and wasn't out on its mooring.
mbianka likes this.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #6 of 24 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Gusts to 50 here in western LI Sound. I'm glad my boat got hauled last week and wasn't out on its mooring.
I've got mixed feelings about my boats situation. I plan to leave the mast up this winter to build and fit a new sail cover so I'm somewhat glad it's still on the mooring. The boat and mast can swing while on the mooring. When it's on the hard there is more stress on the rigging in a wind. Of course I do worry about the mooring line and other boats breaking free.
chef2sail likes this.

Mike

Last edited by mbianka; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:27 AM.
post #7 of 24 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Second nor'easter in as many weeks here. Local weather buoy recorded 35 gusting 47 overnight. Looks like a forecast of 30 gusting 40 for most today. Knock on wood, all should be okay, except the more exposed marinas.
Last night just before midnight everything got dead calm here in central Long Island felt like we were in the eye of a hurricane by 1 AM it was blowing in the 40's. I was worried about trees coming down. glad it calmed down by morning.
zeehag likes this.

Mike

post #8 of 24 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Equinoxial storm in the NE of the USA is the beginning of winter... So said some old fisherman to me.

And it's going to be a long cold winter!
Tis the season.
zeehag likes this.

Mike

post #9 of 24 Old 2 Weeks Ago

We have no grid power. House running on Koehler 30kw since 2am. Waves in pond 2-4’ last night. Some trees down. One hit neighbors car. We lost no trees. Had mini cyclone pass over but now in 20s gusts to 30s. Ptown had 90 gust. Had secured lawn stuff blown around although tied together to anchors.
Big wind. Gale conditions in Massachusetts Bay.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #10 of 24 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Update: Four boats in our fleet broke from their moorings and ended up on the beach. Our club docks and floats took a beating, with the main float gangway torn loose and at the bottom. Damage to the main float deck and end of main dock where the gangway attached. Similar damage to the dinghy float. We are exposed to the north and northwest so wind and waves must have been bad last night from that direction.
mbianka likes this.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in